“Real” Chrome pen

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 8pack, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ok Darren, I will purchase the 2mm one. Thanks

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I see a trip to Hobby Lobby in the near future. Thanks for the info.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just ordered one of these to do the fine edging ring on the 70 steering wheel shroud. Has anybody tried the SEM low luster clear over top of it yet?

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I used the SEM clear over a silver pen when I did mine. I think it is in my build thread. But, my bet is based on what I read you should let this stuff dry a good solid week or more if you have time before topcoating.

To top the silver I did not tape it off. I sprayed the paint into a sheet of aluminum foil and let it puddle. I took a fine art brush and dipped it in the clear and then floated it over the top of the silver. If you do it just right it won't run or drip. You don't want the brush to touch the paint underneath it it will pull it into the clear. You want the clear to sit right on top so you need to keep reloading the brush.

When I get to my test on my shifter surround I will try it. However, I don't think you want the low luster as it will pull the chrome. I think you want to try it with the gloss.....

I love kicking off a good thread!

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the update.
    Wasn't the dash edging and the horn shroud edging just kind of a matte silver originally? Every car I look at none of them are a high gloss chrome, but then none of them are brand new either. Maybe the faded fast from gloss to flat. I guess I am saying that maybe a little dulling will make it closer to original, which is what I am trying to achieve. If it turned out chrome that would be OK too. I don't really expect it to be like a true vacuum metalized chrome like the surrounds around the gauges.

6. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Mt Pleasant, Pa. USA
    I am pretty sure that Santa Claus will be bringing me one of those pens real soon. :)