“Real” Chrome pen

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 8pack, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I do some model building and came across this on another forum. I have not used it yet, but the reviews and first hand accounts on the other forum are very impressive. Users say it is almost indistinguishable from the chrome plating on plastic models. It looks like it would be a great solution for the chrome trim on the lower dash. I will get one and try it on my shifter surround and AC vents and post an update. Probably will be awhile though....in the interim if anyone tries it post an update!

They come in different sizes as well, the smaller one may be better for the trim edges.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-Liqu...Type=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#R1VP6D9EOQN05G

Bandit723, twozs and dsbratton like this.
  2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Maybe its the same as this stuff:

There was a thread here somewhere discussing this stuff. Still waiting on feedback.

3. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi 8pack. I have used the pen to do the chrome surrounds on the tail lights on my car and it worked better than I had expected. A true chrome like finish and I was very, very happy with the result. Next I'm going to do the highlighted ridge on my dash pieces as they are currently silver, not chrome finished. Obviously, I would recommend testing it in an inconspicuous place first, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Darren

4. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    70Chev
    I'm hoping you're right. I just ordered one based on your endorsement

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Darren, What size Mm would be ok to use on the glove box door to touch up the Camaro script? 1, 2 or 4 Mm? Thanks, George

6. Radio Joe

Radio Joe New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    8Pack- Some of the guys on the transformers (toys) forum have been using these as well. I used one on a mustang radio I was restoring and was very happy with the chrome look but as I understand it, touching it is a no-no. it dulls it to a silver.

To combat the dulling, let it dry for as LONG as possible- like for Days. Also they have tried some top coats to try and preserve the look and the only thing they found was Future floor polish over it didnt dull it much. I bought my pens at Hobby Lobby. they had 1mm and 2mm.

I also understand the company that makes the pens has a clear coat but no one I know has confirmed if it works with the chrome.

The shiny chrome look with these pens is definitely awesome!

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have used them, I was a little leary at first but the stuff worked great!

8. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would say go with the 2mm pen. The 1mm is very fine and the 4mm seemed very fat so the 2mm seemed OK and worked fine for me. I don't think they're that expensive overall so you could try the 2mm and if not the right one, go get another.

Darren

9. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm sure you'll love it. It is the ONLY actual chrome pen that I've been able to find here in Australia.

Darren

10. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ok Darren, I will purchase the 2mm one. Thanks