´79 Berlinetta Restore

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by NvO, Sep 25, 2016.

1. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hey,

I have been looking on this forum for almost a year now and have decided it was about time to make a progress thread to keep up on the progress.

History :

It's a prety basic Camaro, it doesnt have a lot of options.
    It came with a 305/TH 350.

The camaro has been in the Netherlands since it was new, the first owner had the Camaro from 1979 untill the mid 80's, untill my Uncle bought it.
    He drove it around several years but had it stored for the last 15 years, only driving it once every two years for its bi-annual inspection.
    Last year i was asked to make the car ready for the inspection but found alot of things that needed replacing. While driving the car for a week i really liked it and decided to buy it. with the plan to restore it.

This all started last year August.

Plans

Since buying the car i got most of the hard part done, which is getting parts from you to me.

So far i have gathered most parts but am still looking for a few.

Plans :

I will change the engine from the old 305 to a rebuild 355, im keeping the old TH350 but having it rebuild aswell. the rear end will be swapped from the stock open 2.41 gears to a posi 3.42 unit. All bushings will be swapped to polyurethane. interior will be going from blue to black and adding padding to the sides of the stock seats.

Im hoping for it to look similar to this once its done :

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0mwBuBbbs

Here is the car when i first got it. It looked good from far but far from good.

[​IMG]

Disassembly

[​IMG]

Eventually disassembled the whole car and welded a frame so i could move it around. the car is now a bare shell. everything has been removed leaving only the shell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rust repairs

After disassembly i found several parts of the car with severe rust damage.
    Most of it is around the back of the car. where previous repairs have been done covering but not removing the rust.

it needs a new trunk pan,tail pan, lower tail support panel, lower deck filler panel, a new front vent panel. and several small patches around the car.
    I have already started on this repairing the rusted floors and replacing the front cowl vent panel :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stripped and painted under the front cowl vent panel
    [​IMG]

Finished welding the new piece in :
    [​IMG]

Starting the repairs on the rear :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    You have been busy!
    do they use salt on the roads in the winter where he lived?

3. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks!

Yeah they salt the roads here when it snows.
    Hopefully it wont see snow and salt again haha

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Looking good. Im going to have to keep an eye on this build. Keep the updates coming.

5. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    Very nice car, good luck with your project! :)

6. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Started on removing the tail panel today,[​IMG]

Got most of it out, new panel seems to fit ok.
    [​IMG]
    Really looking for some pictures of somebody who did this before for reference.
    I am still in doubt on where to patch in the new panel, hoping you guys can help.
    Cant really find anything on the forum or internet

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    You're doing a good job. I like the direction that you're heading for sure. The best I could offer you on the picture you want, are to keep browsing this site, with an eye out for the useres here. Alot have build threads in their signature, and some are very extensive. Look for users with 78-81 for the closest match to what you are doing, and check out those threads.

Edit: Nasty-z just updated the site recently, and not sure if those signature build thread links are there.

8. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Hi NvO, you're doing a very good job! I'm subscribed to this thread!

9. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    Very nice ride! Good luck with your project! :)

10. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Havent had a lot of time lately to update,

I decided to upgrade to a new shop since the old one was not insulated and just wasnt big enough.
    My new shop is more then 3 times the size and has decent isolation and a big heater.
    Yesterday we moved all of my stuff including the camaro to the new shop. Upcoming week i will be installing a 2 post lift and then work on the camaro can finally continue.

The new place gives me a lot more options and will certainly improve the quality of my work. I hope to get alot more done now i finaly have a decent space to work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017