Which posi unit ???

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Jerry SS 396, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Jerry SS 396

Jerry SS 396 Veteran Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NORTH JERSEY
    I have a Detroit truetrac with 33 spline axles , there is quite a bit of noise coming from the rear , I am thinking about changing to a clutch type unit.
    Who makes the strongest clutch type unit that accepts 33 spline axles ????

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    What kind of noise, and when going down the highway or only in a turn? It's usually the gear set you're hearing, positive traction units don't make any noise when going straight, and most make none in a turn.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    You have a bearing or gear problem.

If you really want to swap the differential then check with Tom's Differentials and their 33 spline Eaton Posi. Tom custom builds these with his special forged and heat treated gears.

4. Jerry SS 396

Nov 2, 2008
    NORTH JERSEY
    Going straight on the highway , only on the float. Not accelerating not decelerating. At the point where it's freewheeling.

5. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Check the pinion nut and see if it has backed off. Put a torque wrench on it and set it to 150 foot pounds. See if it moves.

6. Jerry SS 396

Nov 2, 2008
    NORTH JERSEY
    I'm on it !

7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Let us know if that was the issue.

8. Jerry SS 396

Nov 2, 2008
    NORTH JERSEY
    FINALLY GOT IT !!! The rear U joint was the culprit .. I found a needle embedded in the side of the cap which is in the driveshaft yoke end. This was obviously there from the day I installed the hurst driveline conversions TKO 600 kit that has the driveshaft included with the elite package. The sound was not transferred thru the car with the leaf spring suspension to be noticeable . I installed the DSE mini tubs , Ride Tech four link ,narrowed 12 bolt and Wilwood disc brakes at the same time. This is the point where the strange sound started which led me to believe that one of the new components were the source . But having a more solid connection with the 4 link the sound was transferred. What a wild goose chase !! Unfortunately all new parts are not 100 % correct , I will never assume this again, That's a hard lesson learned !

9. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Yea, that would be a hard one to find.

10. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Glad you found the culprit. Good talking to you the other day.