What brand die grinder(s) do you own?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 76_TypeLT, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

I have a IR and its great... I also have a HF one and to be honest its just as good.. The one that I have from HF weird because whenever I run it for an extended period of time it seems like it kicks into a special power band kinda like a 2 stroke.. it wakes up and goes to town..

2. RD400HP

RD400HP Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Fowler, Ohio, USA
    Back along time ago when I bought my big CH compressor I was reading a mag like Hot Rod or something like that and got sucked into one of those deals like 10 air tools for $99 out of the ten the only one I have left is the drill ,and thats only because I never used it. All the other ones expired kinda quickly. Now I have a Dynabrade and a couple that are made in the states but I can't remember the names although Fairmount comes to mind heavy little buggers.

Mark

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My stuff is all fairly old, so they still have metal parts.
    It's a shame more and more companies are sticking plastic in their parts.
    They are trying to keep the price down, and all they did was ruin their name.

Anything that spins as fast as a die grinder needs to be all metal.
    I would rather buy one good one and wait, then buy a set of cheap crap that's going to die shortly.
    I tried one of the cheap angle die grinders, and as mentioned, all it does is blow air, and barely spins anymore.
    It was an emergency, and it did get that job done, but it was junk shortly after that.

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I just bought a Craftsman right angle, just because I had a gift card. I was porting my heads and the dam head spun. I took it back and the same thing happened with the second one. When I can get ahold of my Snap-On guy I'm going to ask him what he can get. I'll Probably go IR. I have the 2135ti impact, an IR air chisel and also an IR air ratchet. YOU CAN'T KILL EM!!

5. KWKENUF

KWKENUF New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    By far the best brand I have dealt with has been Dotco. I work in a die shop so we are using them everyday. One Dotco will outlast two IR die grinders (not that IR are not good, they are very good). I also really like my Chicago Pnuematic angle grinder. The Dotco's are expensive, $300, and my CP was $120. We have a couple of old Dotco's that are nearing 20 years old, from what I am told, and they still work great. I know it doesn't make sense to get one if you aren't using it everyday, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Just a reminder, oil everyday, and grease at least once a week, and your tools will love you forever!

Edit: We also use IR impacts, simply because we find they are the best!

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's an excellent thought. I can't tell you how many times I've been at a buddies shop
    and they grab an air tool and start beating on it dry. I've even had guys grab my stuff and start using it,
    and I have to yell at them. I never use my stuff dry, and I usually add 2 drops every so often when I'm working.
    If you look around my shop, I have about 5 bottles of oil spread around. It's cheap, use it.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Harbor Freight special. Hate to think how many times I've reamed out a hole with a hand file over the years. Two minutes with this screaming air tool and it's done. Amazing little tool. Ditto on the lube too, couple drops every time I use any air tool.

8. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I use only mac or snap-on.

9. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So I got an IR straight die grinder and an IR angle die grinder and so far so good. Both perform well and feel good.

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I dont use these tools to make my living,just to fix this car.That being said,I have the Home depot brand angle air grinder.But the one I use the hell out of is the Harbor Freight CORDED one.Its as big as a bat,lol.But its got the nonstop cutting power I want when Im hacking metal.Or grinding it.I paid 39.00 for it and would buy it again in a second,if I had to.