What brand die grinder(s) do you own?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 76_TypeLT, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I bought a "Husky Pro" right angle die grinder (Home Depot's line, made by Campbell Hausfeld) and either I got a bad tool or they are not designed very well. Kind of hard to explain, but there is a threaded plug of sorts at the base of the arbor that keeps coming un-threaded and I have to stop and thread it back in every so often. It's getting old and not sure why they designed it this way. I cannot get it to stay in for the life of me. I am going to exchange it and see if I got a lemon.

Anyway, was curious what brands you guys have and how you like them just in case I have to go another route.

Thanks!

2. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    I switched from cheap Harbor Freight ones to Ingersol Rand ones. Great tools

3. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Mine is either an Ingersol Rand, or a Popular Mechanics, don't remember for sure. I am happy with it, I've had it for years with no issues. (now I did it).

4. conrracing

conrracing Veteran Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Cumberland, MD
    I agree with the Ingersol Rand. Nice quality tools

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a few of each, I R, & C H. I learned the cheap ones break quickly.

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I might just snag some IR die grinders then. I thought just maybe that this "pro" version would hold up well and first impression was not good.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I have a cheap imported one. It isn't worth owning. It sucks more air than an open air hose.
    Get a better quality one and you should like it.

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

it's funny but I used to see Campbell Hausfeld as one of the better brands.

More recently, I've noticed they also "Private Label" their stuff for other companies including Home Depot and Tractor Supply under different brand names. the common thing I see is more of these are made overseas and are just a step above the HF quality. Heck! I see the CH stuff sold at Walmart too!

This is not to say they are bad for the occassional user or home car builder but as much as I use the die grinders, I would rather spend a little more for something I don't have to constantly mess with, and I'm not saying Snap On!!! (Heck! they hardly make their own stuff anymore either!).

Ingersoll Rand is about the best brand name to look for and they also have different levels of tools. Depending on your budget, I'm certain you can find one to work for your needs.

9. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    My best die grinder is a Cleco, that thing is tough as nails.

I've also got a cheap blue CH die grinder I bought a few years back at Wally, it's not real strong but it does ok on lighter jobs.

I've got an angle grinder that I bought from a tool sale too, it's a no-name but it has held in there for a few years now and is still going strong today.

10. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Husky (Home Depot) and it works good. If (when) it dies I'm getting an IR.