Stick adhesive tape!!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by ziggy, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ziggy

ziggy Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Ghent, WV
    How can I remove 3m tape from fender that a jack ---- stuck a Z28 emblem on 76 camaro!!! Any remedies to remove the adhesive tape????

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Goof off, mineral spirits.....just get it good and wet, let is soak and be patient rubbing it off....

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'd first take a hair dryer and slowly heat the adhesive and attempt to CAREFULLY remove the tape. Just take your time.

4. ziggy

ziggy Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Ghent, WV
    Will try both, is it called goof off? This is stuck on hot rod black paint will the mineral spirits hurt paint?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I use Goo Gone.

Just removing some double-sided tape residue from the inside of my fender with it today.
    (Remounted my headlight relays.)

6. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2013
    SF Bay Area, Ca
    close to the above, but a heat gun gets the job done faster than blow dryer. The higher heat helps. Heat up for a second and then go in with your thumb to try and slowly roll it away.

Depending on your paints type/condition, some of the chemicals can hurt the finish, though I did not have that issue when I used it. I used goo gone and good off the first time I had to remove adhesive tape, and while it did eventually get the job done, the heat worked much better. (Goof off is stronger than goo gone)

Also, depending on how think the left over stuff is you may be able to shave some off with some fishing line. Grab a length of line and wrap it around your hands and just saw off as much as you can.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. ziggy

ziggy Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Ghent, WV
    Will the goo gone hurt the hot Rod Black paint finish?

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I just use more newer tap ,put it over the old stickie and let it set for a while then jurk it off

9. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2013
    SF Bay Area, Ca
    ^iikebthwt idea. Worth giving a shot first.
    Test it in an area that you can't see. I wouldn't be surprised if it did leave a mark

10. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    WD-40 works good on loosing adhesive & it wont hurt the paint.