Side pipes!!!

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by samuel, Nov 11, 2016.

1. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. I'm new but I've actually used this website constantly the last year and a half in the restoration of my 1073 rs z28. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I'm down to the very last part of my car and that is my need for 4 into one side pipes. I really want the real deal for a sbc. I'm not above doing my own fabrication but even the patriot fake pipes are either way to long to even fit and there actual exaust tube it 3.5 inches and I really want a true 4 inch wide pipe running down the side of my rocker panel. Any help or sets for sale would be greatly appreciated.

2. mlburk

mlburk Veteran Member

Feb 26, 2008
    ohio
    where are you located

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I will be watching your post to see what you come up with, like the way your thinking.

4. shad_van

shad_van Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2012
    las vegas, NV
    I think Hooker Headers was the last company making them for second gen Camaros, and only of the small block. I think they discontinued them a few years ago. I have been looking for a set for my 71 big block Camaro. I was at a car show not to long ago and saw a set on a 72 corvette with a 454. they were made by XS-Power.com but they were stainless steel and pricey. I have considered getting set for a corvette and modifying them to work on my 71. but $1300 is a lost of cash for something I am just going to cut up...

5. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I'm located in Appleton Wisconsin

6. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Yep hooker was the last company to make them and I'm looking for ones for a small block. I thought about modifying the first gen ones that are being reproduced like you said but for 1300 bucks there's a ton of fab work seeing as if you do the measurements three of the tubes actually would be running right through where your front tire goes. Not to mention the actual side pipes aren't the right length to even look good on our cars!!!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Haha and on top of that I have a set of fake 4 into one collectors but can't actually get 4 inch tubes for them because no one makes one that's around 55 inches or so that will actually fit and look right on a second gen. I even tried calling an exaust shop for semi trucks and they said they wouldn't be able to make one for me under 800 bucks!!!! And that's just for the pipes

8. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    You need to read MotionClones build thread. He made some nice side pipes.

9. samuel

samuel New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I did have a look at his but unfortunately patriot is the only ones still making a face 4 into 1 sidepipes but they no longer make 57 inch long sets only 63 inches and up wich I have ordered and then sent back because they won't fit in between the tires. Pulse the tubes are only 3.5 inches wide along the rockers and I define tly want 4.inch like the originals

10. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have a set of mismatch chrome ones with the fake 4 into one "collectors" I'd sell for $500.00. The other 3 pipes are capped inside the collector but if you figured out a way to open them up you could fab up some small block headers so you could use all 4 pipes. They have about 10,000 miles of sunny day driving on them, mostly on track. I searched for many years (like 20) for a set of chrome full header Hookers for Pontiac engine and never found any but eventually found a NOS set of black ones missing the brackets I'll have stripped & chromed. If you think the 1300.00 mentioned above is expensive the Hookers cost me more than that not including the chroming.

You can hear them a couple times at idle here

WOT here http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Firebird/MVI_0069.mp4.html?sort=3&o=169

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]