shifter indicator

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Calloushand, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Calloushand

Calloushand New Member

May 7, 2014
    Vancouver,WA
    I have looked high and low to try to find how the shift indicator cable hooks up for a floor shifter. All I have found is the column shift display which is obvious. I must be missing some parts, but it'd be nice to see a schematic of how its supposed to work. Can anyone help????? Thanks
    Shawn

70 RS/SS

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Back draft linkage, a rod that goes from the transmission to a lever on the steering column, just outside the firewall.

BTW - welcome to NastyZ.

3. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    OK, I snorted out loud on that one...it's back drive...back draft made me thing of Kurt Russel and intense fires:happy:

OP: The dash indicator should have a light gauge wire off the back with a square metal tab that has a hole in it, This screws to your steering column so as the back drive rotates the steering colum collar it pulls the wire thus moving the indicator needle. The needle is spring loaded so that it will return to it's starting point as tension is released.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Crap, I think I snorted fire on that one also...

Most of us removed that rod when we installed headers.

5. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Pasco, WA, USA
    I had mine out so took a photo for you. There is still the piece that the thicker bar goes into on the gear select of the transmission. The hat washer looking thing is has a plastic ball type washer inside that the whole unit fits into a hole on the frame. The thinner longer bar goes up to a lever on the steering column.

p.s. I still use it with 2" primary/ 3" collector headers, tight but possible.

Attached Files: