Rear headliner trim screw holes are wallowed out - looking for ideas to fix

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 76_TypeLT, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I assume your talking about the metal behind the trim piece right? If so, I get my mig welder out and spark an arc inside the hole once or twice. Then I run a fresh machine screw through it to get it ready for the regular screw. Works well and solves the problem for good. It hardens the metal around the hole and bites good.

2. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    jthomas likes this.
  3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This would be the ideal solution but I have too much stuff installed at this point unfortunately. I guess I could lay down a bunch of towels and blankets for the sparks and slag.

4. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
  5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    Like posted above.Cut a piece of thin gauge metal and bend it in a v shape.Slide into slot and pitch or glue the v in place.It will make the slot smaller and make your screws bite.Be careful not to overtighten.I've done it.It works.

6. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    that's a clever idea too, thanks

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    pack hole with steel wool, mabe some glue from a hot glue cgun, don't take much

8. bfendick

bfendick Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Vernon, BC
    You can put a flat toothpick in the hole when you start the screw and then break it of once the screw is in, the wood will fill the gap and hold the screw in place until you remove it again.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are usually something in the "Help Section" in most Auto Parts stores.

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    can you get to the back side of the hole... if so you can simply use a pair of vise grips and squeeze the material at the hole.... it will make the hole smaller.... do this all time on sheetmetal screw holes that get wallered out.