Poll on Eaton Posi vs Eaton Detroit TruTrac

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jthomas, Jan 4, 2017.

Poll: Eaton Posi vs Eaton Detroit TruTrac. Which do you prefer and why?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2017.
  1. Eaton Posi

56.3%
  2. Eaton Detroit TruTrac

37.5%
  3. Other Posi Unit

6.3%
  1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Looking for reviews from those of you who have experience using both the Eaton Posi and the Eaton Detroit TruTrac. Which you you prefer and why?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I can't speak for the Detroit unit, but I've had an Eaton Posi in mine for several years now and it's held fine, no problems. On special occasions, it gets a set of slicks bolted up and makes a few passes down the track. The Eaton posi is not designed for regular drag strip use, but I've had no issues with the random water box hazings.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Depends on the use. I prefer the Eaton Posi for most street/strip use and the Truetrac for auto cross or road racing. No single differential is going to be best in all situations. That's why there are many different designs.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I prefer the Posi. I have a Tru-Trac and I think by design is why I swing to one side when I mash the gas. The posi didn't act that way.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

So far i love my TT. Works as advertised, no noise.

6. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Montana
    I just put a truetrac in my RAM and don't care for it. It doesn't seem the same as the posi and it always swings me to one side like badazz said. Had posi in the truck before that.

7. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    I had a Truetrac put in my 2wd Ranger a few years ago, it was great in my opinion. Pretty aggressive but still good street manners. Plus no clutches to worry about.

8. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Pretty tight poll so far. Keep the votes and comments coming in.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I tossed this issue around when I replaced my carrier in my 12 bolt. I ended up with the Eaton Posi. So far I don't regret the choice, but then I don't have the rWHP that others do nor the grip.

I don't know just thinking out loud, but the true trac may spin one wheel just a little first before the other starts turning and gives the feeling of swinging to the side briefly.

10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Doing a burnout first, will take care of that squiggly issue. :)

John Wright and jthomas like this.