Oil Pan Removal In Car

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Golden Goose, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Golden Goose

Golden Goose New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Morristown,NJ
    First is it possible to drop the pan while in a 1970 RS 350 4 speed while in the car attached to the trans?

Second if so any tips tricks, been there done that?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Yes it can be done. I and a few other members have done it. You need to raise the engine off of the motor mounts a couple of inches to get enough room. I used some blocks of 2x4 as spacers. The next thing is you need to rotate the crank to a certain position, that position escapes me at the moment. Hopefully someone will chime in with that or do a search here. The pan will then slide out. Good luck.

Golden Goose likes this.
  3. fester

fester Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Why? You can do it but it will be a real PITA to get the gaskets and seals to work, especially around the timing cover.You can pull the engine in another hour or so and do it right...

Golden Goose likes this.
  4. Golden Goose

Golden Goose New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Morristown,NJ
    That's fine. Wanted to see if it was doable without pulling or pita. That's why I joined this site for helpful in site.

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I believe on a stock 350 you rotate the crank until the timing mark is in the 5 o'clock postition

6. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 16, 2012
    NorCal
    I did it last summer. It's not easy. You have to remove the Z-bar, the shift linkage, the distributor, disconnect the exhaust, and anything else that hangs you up.
    I put in a Canton road race pan and used their gaskets - which are awesome!

Golden Goose likes this.
  7. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I totally understand your not wanting to pull the engine. It's a hard call. Do you do all the work of changing things insitu and risk having a leak after it is all done? or just bite the bullet.

I can't really offer any insight, I just empathize with your dilemma.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I actually think it is easy....it's not though at all. Takes a little bit of time and patience
    Rotate engine so the throws are upward in the engine
    Drain the oil.
    Remove distributer Or just cap
    Jack front end of car secure with jacks
    Remove motor mount mounts
    Place 2x4 under oil pan extending past sides (you're trying to distribute the load and not crush the pan.
    Lift engine by jacking the pan
    Place 3"x3" 2x4 sand which between the motor mount and the engine mount bracket.
    Lower engine to rest on blocks
    Remove pan, reverse order to put back together.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Another note: Be careful of the pickup tube/screen.
    I'd rather pull the motor, but that is just me. I guess I'm getting old and have had too many long nights UNDER the car over the years.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    When I did a cam swap with the engine installed a few yrs back, sealing the pan back to the timing cover was a breeze. You just need to keep all the gasket surfaces clean with thinner. I had zero leaks.