Non Climate controlled garage tips

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hey guys,
    So ive been battling the weather lately in my garage. Its basically an old metal pole barn with a quarter of it made into a 1 car bay for the Z. The issue I am having is when then humidity gets up the car and all of my tools are sweating. I know a climate controlled garage would stop this but unfortunately thats not an option at the moment. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to keep the 1 car booth the lease likely to sweat etc because having all of the moisture just sitting on the car sucks. Thanks in advance. -Matt

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
  3. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    I would insulate and seal up the one car area. Add some heat if there is electric available. Maybe 2 oil filled electric heaters and maybe a fan to keep air moving.

4. SDL73Z28

SDL73Z28 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2014
    NJ
    identify and eliminate the moisture source

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You either have to remove the atmospheric moisture, dropping the dew point of the enclosed area below the temp.
    Or... Warm the air in the enclosed area to something above the dew point.

Electric heat is best.
    No additional water vapor is formed and you don't have to vent outside.

6. jbloake

jbloake New Member

May 1, 2002
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Open windows and doors on exterior Remove metal siding if possible and let area breath naturally

7. 77Z28454

77Z28454 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Ontario
    If you tell us more about the structure we could most likely be more help. There are so many variables without knowing more we can't really provide good advice. You say it's "made into a 1 car bay" how did you build this internal structure? Is the moisture problem throughout the entire pole barn or just in the section you built for the car? What kind of floor are you working with? I'm sure a lot of us have dealt with these types of things over the years. I have a few old structures myself.

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The first thing you can do that will have an immediate benefit is get the air moving. At least one cheap box fan or better yet 2 and if you can open a small window or something to have one fan pushing the air around and the other facing out pulling air out. With the air moving you will see far less if not eliminate the condensation. The humidity won't change much though or at best will be consistent with outside if you can pull air in, through and out....In my barn in my last house that made a huge difference.

9. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    ^^ This. You have to keep the air moving and it won't condense. That's why you don't have frost on the ground on a cold morning if there is a breeze blowing outside. A fan is the easiest and cheapest solution. Just make sure it is secure and grounded.

10. 77Z28454

77Z28454 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Ontario
    For sure air movement helps, depending how big the area is maybe you could get one of those bathroom fans that has a humidity sensor built in or they even sell switches with them built in that you could hook to a fan that would exhaust the air right outdoors. In the cold weather the air should be really dry. There is something else going on I think.