LSX Swap Headers for zbar clutch

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Peter Wollman, Feb 15, 2017 at 4:47 PM.

1. Peter Wollman

Peter Wollman New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alamo, CA
    I need help guys! After researching for months I still cannot figure out what long tube swap headers to purchase for my 1971Camaro with a Gen III LSX motor (LQ4) with muncie 4 speed, and I am using the Zbar clutch linkage with SDCB pivot ball adaptor. The motor is installed with the 1" Carshop setback brackets and standard small-block rubber motor mounts. The rear transmission mount and cross member is stock GM, and the transmission tail housing bolts in dead on, so I do not want to change the motor mounts e.g. Hooker/Holley mounts. Hooker swap headers fit with the zbar but they say they won't install with anyone else's mounts, which I find hard to believe. Also many people recommend using the 75-81 Hooker swap headers because they tuck up better. I think that Kooks headers will work with my set up, but they are extremely expensive. The Dynatech swap headers will work but everyone says they hang down too low. Please does anyone have advice for me and some picture would help too. I will post this over on the ls1tech site for input as well.

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    If they allow you to return the headers , buy the ones you can afford , and afford cash hit if you have to return them, and see if they fit , all of these cars are off by a little , and even if someone said they will fit your application perfect, they may not , so take a chance , and decide how hard it would be to make , what you can afford fit, it you decide it is to much trouble then return, if not , give them a bag or two and get them in there , so you can start driving your car,
    just my 2 cents

3. Peter Wollman

Peter Wollman New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alamo, CA
    Thank you for your response does anyone know the difference between the hooker headers for the early 70-74 and late 75-80 fitment in terms of collector height? Some header companies give a dimension down from the manifold at the head to the top of collector.

4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Are you willing to modify them slightly? Ive got fourth gen camaro long tubes. You need to bend the collectord to make them fit. The z bar does physically fit but you would need to be crafty making a mount. I was going to do this but i got a hydraulic setup for free so I said why not.

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    Dynatech and I have a set for sale.
    See my thread in this forum somewhere. By the time figured out how to adjust everything from Novak adapters website, I went with the McLeod hydraulic because I was out of time and needed the drivetrain installed to move for a new job.