Just opened up my 73 Z's M21 and found this

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by usasquint, Nov 11, 2016.

1. usasquint

usasquint Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Northern VA
    Pretty sure this ain't what right looks like. Took my motor and tranny out to seal it all up and paint etc and look into a vibration. Finally got to the tranny today. This is my first time going into a transmission. Pulled the front bearing retainer off and found this. Anyone ever encounter this? What is going on here?

IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2826.JPG

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    I would take it completely apart and check for other damage.
    Rebuild it
    Plenty of info on the net.
    I have a rebuild video and the muncie wrench
    I rebuilt mine and it wasn't that difficult

3. Double J

Double J Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Michigan
    I second this.......I rebuild my own trans as well it's not that bad of a job, tons of info out there.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup old 4 speeds are pretty easy to tear down as long as you have a manual, did all the popular ones in 1980 went I went through automotive school.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    I documented the procedure and posted it on my website. See my sig file. If you have any Q, feel free to ask.

6. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Central Florida
    Call Davids Four Speeds in Milwaukee, WI. I had him rebuild mine. Aces.
    You really have a serious problem.

7. usasquint

usasquint Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Northern VA
    Thank you for the replies guys. I never would have thought I had a problem other than leaks by the way it drives. I just wanted to seal it up and sell the car. Oh well. I just bought a press today from harbor freight so I can play with this thing and learn about it. Will be using various sources including COPO's help guide. I took my M21 from my GS to Ed Hartnett up near Philly.

8. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Have a look at this guy's series of videos and 5speeds.com. Depending on your diff ratio, you may want to swap the gearset to M22Z/W

Edem_Alive likes this.
  9. usasquint

usasquint Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Northern VA
    Thank you. Yes Paul at 5speeds.com has some solid videos. Have been watching some of his already.

10. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

If the input bearing is that bad then the front of the main shaft could be worn as well . Ive done 5 muncies ( one M22 and four M21s ) to date and bought all my parts and rebuild kits from Autogear in Syracuse , N.Y. very good quality parts and best of service and tech knowledge .