Header Leak

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by mr.cej23, Dec 26, 2016.

1. mr.cej23

mr.cej23 Veteran Member

Aug 10, 2011
    sharpsburg, GA
    Here are some photos that my give a little more insight into my situation. I am currently using soft metal gaskets, as one of you asked. I haven't looked up the numbers on the head and which gaskets/headers fit, nor do I know where to find that data, but they are not the D shaped ports.
    IMG_9921.JPG IMG_9922.JPG IMG_9920.JPG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. peteegger

peteegger Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2006
    North Las Vegas, NV.
    Head looks okay other than what may have been eroded by the leaking exhaust gasket. May just be carbon build-up from the leak. Hard to tell from the picture as good as it is. Plenty of sealing surface around the bolt holes. Just poor fitting gaskets and/or headers...warped? I'm finding out that the trusted names of the past when I first got into hot rodding from the late sixties and seventies produce garbage now days! Most of it is outsourced. After raising a family and recently retiring I'm now fully committed to resto-modding my 71 and things are just not like they used to be! Sorry! Beer post!

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    It's hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like those are ROUND or OVAL port heads. The headers are clearly oval port too, but the gasket is SQUARE port. If both parts are really round/oval port then find a set of round or oval port gaskets of the same size and start there before going down the warped flange road or trying to weld more edge on the flanges.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I messed with a similar problem. Solved it using Remflex gaskets. I won't use anything else in the future

6. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Hooker headers were on my engine until recently. I too had the problem you are seeing. I spent an afternoon gasket/port matching/ grinding etc. I even ground too much off in one corner and had a hole in it. Easy fix though. Welded it up and used a grinder and hand file to smooth everything out again, had to cut the flanges on either side of the siamesed cylinders to get everything mated correctly. the effort was well worth it as these headers were 'off" port wise by more than I wanted to see. remflex gaskets as well. I used a combo of allen head bolts, and hex head bolts even made a special shorten allen wrench to get at #8, ....#6 was easier to get at from under the car. headers can be a huge pain in the ass.

7. mr.cej23

mr.cej23 Veteran Member

Aug 10, 2011
    sharpsburg, GA
    So I bought some of the simple manifold gaskets that bonzohansen recommended. I even doubled up on all of them. I really thought it would solve my problem because the holes on the gaskets are smaller and more rounded around the edges. If you look at my original pictures you'll see why I have that reasoning. But I'm still getting that same annoying noise indicating a leak. I'm going to try changing the collector gasket because when I took the header out to inspect it I reused the old gasket, but I really don't think that's the problem. One other thought... if I had a vacuum leak around one of the ports on the intake, would it also make a similar noise?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  8. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    I changed my collectors to header buddies (pipe side only)...they work great and no gaskets. You can get them from Summit for under 25 bucks. Also, I bought a set of small head 12 point ARP header bolts ARP-100-1201...I use a small 3/8" box end wrench and little leverage and tighten the crap out of those bolts. After I did this I got rid of my header leaks. By the way, I have an el cheapo set of used headers and use the Fel-pro gasket 1444. Hope this helps.

G

9. mr.cej23

mr.cej23 Veteran Member

Aug 10, 2011
    sharpsburg, GA
    I removed the latest set of gaskets that I tried and took some pictures of them. The parts that I circled are the areas where I previously had problems. It now looks as though there is plenty of sealing area and there is no more black soot escaping around the edges. So I would think my problem is fixed, however it is still making that same ticking/rattling noise of a header leak under hard acceleration. This is so frustrating!!! There is a third picture and that is the head side of one of the gaskets where it looks like the mating surface wasn't completely clean/dry and there is some black junk, but it still doesn't look like it's leaking around the edges. I'm almost positive my collectors aren't leaking, so what else could be making that noise? Can a vacuum leak make that same kind of noise???
    IMG_9953.JPG IMG_9954.JPG IMG_9955.JPG

10. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    If its not a leak....then it could be a rocker arm ticking.

G