DIY AC Charging w/Vintage Air

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by badazz81z28, Jan 8, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Alright so it appears the forum is scarce for AC charging so I decided to give it a shot. Watching YouTube videos and reading the instructions out there, it's a go.

Here are some things I acquired and I found out you can even rent the equipment from auto zone if you don't have a HF.

First step is to evacuate the system and check for leaks. Since my system is new and completely empty, I'm applying vacuum, checking for leaks and "boiling" off humidity.

You will need a set of manifold gauges which I bought from HF for $50 and a vacuum which I rented at autozone for $150 deposit.

I have the manifold connected to the servicing ports and the vacuum/charge line connect to the vacuum source.

Open the ports on the charge lines and the manifold and let it suck air for 45 min. The low pressure gauge will read 25-30inhg of vacuum

Attached Files:

2. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ok, after about an hour I turned the manifold valves at the gauges off and the vacuum source. I will let it sit for another hour to ensure it holds vacuum. If I lose vacuum I have a leak I'll need to remedy

Attached Files:

3. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hour later without vacuum source, system holds pressure

Attached Files:

Hey G likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Did you first add oil to the compressor and receiver? And be sure of the oil requirement, usually not the old mineral oil but maybe one of the PAG oils. Usually seems best to evacuate when outside temps are high, or just after the car is run some to get everything hot under the hood. Always wanted to add on AC to my 70 - but kind of like the simplicity of the car as is.
    Back in the R12 days used to use engine vacuum to pull system down, old cars would get way down there. R12 was pretty forgiving and we didn't expect to have the car too long anyway.

5. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ Vintage Air told me not to add oil to the compressor or anywhere else in the system as its done by them at the factory. Since they are covering the warranty I went with their directions.

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'd like to see about doing this myself if the tools are not too costly.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    no car ever used engine vacuum to pull a vacuum on an ac system . it was all done with vacuum pumps for sure . my camaro still had its stock system with R12 charge .

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
  9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio

Guess I wasn't too clear on that, "we" used to... Back under the shade tree.

The old systems with that A6 compressor and R12 sure did the job though, pretty much instant cold air on the hottest days.