Car just back from paint- what products to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by OsborneConst, Sep 24, 2014.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have never had a car with nice, or new paint before, other than work trucks that just get taken through the local touch less wash. I just got the Camaro back from paint, and I have no idea what I need to do to protect it and make it last. The painter told me to not put anything on it for 2 months. So I don't know if there is anything I need to do with new paint, or what products would be best. I have always detailed my vehicles, but as stated before, never anything as nice as this. Not that it should make a difference, but it was taken down to bare metal, and done with PPG base/clear.

Not very good pictures yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TxGold

TxGold New Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Houston
    Not sure about taking care of it but it looks awesome tho.

3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Great color choice!:cool:
    First off, Buy yourself a California Car Duster and a quality cover to keep the dust off.

Really unless it's a daily driver there's not a whole lot you need to do to it. Wax it once a year if you desire and just keep it clean. I haven't washed my car in the 3 years it's been done now. Just uncover, dust off and spray and wipe with Wizards Quick Detailer as needed.

Have fun, turned out beautiful!!:bowtie:

4. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    That will be one nice looking car when its done.

G

5. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I tell ya what I have always been a total believer in carnuba paste wax for paint protection. It makes the water bead big. Trouble is it is hard to get off after you apply it. I mean it is just a lot of work. Any easy to apply and wipe off wax I have use never lasted so the water would not bead up as good or as long. There is a product you should use I have been swapping all my vehicles over too and it is NOT a wax. I would always have been very skeptical as I was at first but this stuff is the best and is very easy to apply and wipe off. The water beads great and the paint gets deeper and deeper with each coat. Dont' just take my word for it either google search reviews on product and you 'll see nothing but good advise. LUQUID GLASS in the metal can with the 60's red corvette on it! Put that on your Z man car's paint will look and last killer!

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Everyone has their favorite. Look at Zaino products. Their polish is not a wax, it is a polymer sealant which I believe is Z-5. After I use that I then use their Z-CS product which takes less than 10 mins to apply. It lasted well over a year on my everyday car. I basically I don't need to wash it (but I do!) because whenever it rains all the dirt etc just sheets off and disappears.

I use the z8 detail spray to touch up the polish on my cars and it is awesome.

Get the cross link additive (ZFX) for the polish and do 2 coats of the polish. Then use the Z-CS.

Crazy impressive products. I can tell you that wax is a total waste of time after using these products. It doesn't last as long, it doesn't protect from light dust scratches etc. I am sure many will argue other wise. I have tried a bunch of different products and have gotten by far the best results with the Zaino.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    Another vote for Zaino. Been using it for 15 years. Very durable and great optical qualities. ZFX is very similar and I like that too. They are not waxes and they are very durable. The prep is the key but on a new paint job, that makes it easy.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 for Zaino

9. Sticks

Sticks Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Cobham, Surrey UK
    Car looks awesome. What color is it?

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is also a big contingent out there that says to only rarely wash your car and some say never as the water finds its way to places to create or accelerate rust.

The recommendation is to use only a detailing spray and a California duster type product.

I would say there is some merit to it. My car has not seen rain in the last 15 years, but I did wash it several times a season. It was blasted clean before it was painted last time. I have rust in my fenders and the area behind the door and in front of the wheel well. The only explanation is the car washing as it saw no other moisture....

When I am done this time around I am going to reserve washing for the occasional time that I want to get the undercarriage cleaned up. Otherwise I am going to stick to the Zaino detail spray and se how it goes...