Adding Clips to factory dash pad ?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by CasperCasper, Jan 8, 2017.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Do any of you have any nifty ideas on how to get the dashpad to sit better in my 73? It currently has the factory 3 clips but I wish I could add more. Any suggestions on how I may do this? The area it is sitting high is the passenger side. It needs to be held tighter to the dash itself.

Thanks

2. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I think I've got this figured out. I used some very short self tapping screws from the underside of the dash to bring the dash pad tighter to the metal dash itself. It worked quite well and I am now satisfied with the fitment.

gordonquixote likes this.
  3. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Good Tip!
    I used A similar fix on my original pad some time ago when it started to warp. I used a low profile phillips sheet metal type screw and went in from the top side of the pad while the windshield was out of the car.
    That one screw held the pad down for several inches on either side of the head and help keep some of the warping under control. Going in from the underside as you did sounds like a good solution if the pad isn't too warped. How many screws did you use?

4. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I used 5 or so screws. It made it look 200 time better haha.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Please post pics of your screw installation from below.....
    The screw go thru new holes you drilled in the metal and into hard
    frame of dash pad ????

6. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    I added two clips to my dash. It's not installed yet...but I think it should help. Basically, I glued the clips on with epoxy then carefully drilled and tapped a hole and installed a short screw w/washer.

G

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I assume you drilled up through the metal edge and into the bottom of the dash lip that rests on the metal edge? What is in the dash that the screws can "dig" into? The ideas makes a lof of sense but I am curious if the screws will pop out. Perhaps that lip is reinforced with metal? What length screws did you end up using?

I had thought about adding some threaded inserts in the dash, similar to what is already there. Maybe epoxy them in place and then use some nuts to pull the dash closer to the metal edge.

8. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    on my 71 where there was spots for studs that should have been put in originally I cut out the fiber glass pad and I installed studs tack welded to a rectangle piece of sheet metal and the fiber glassed back in then I installed the long clips which it pulled down the dash pad tight to the dash 14 years and still tight to the dash.