NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Interior Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2007, 02:54:03 PM   #1
MarcZ
Veteran Member

Trunk/Inner Quarter Resto Question...

About that tight space in the trunk that goes down and stops behind the rear wheels. How did you guys deal with that very tight space? I know i've got rust there, because at the bottom of one side is some cancer. And how do I coat this? Just spray the heck out of it with an encapsilator?
MarcZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01:56 PM   #2
MarcZ
Veteran Member

anyone??
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28:12 PM   #3
Rick WI
Veteran Member

Are you talking about the trunk extensions? If so they get replaced when new quarters go on. I would think if that part is trashed so is the rear lower quarter.

If you have a lot of corrosion in there don't even bother covering it up with anything. The only way to stop rust, especially in this type of area is to remove it.
Rick WI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:52:31 PM   #4
MarcZ
Veteran Member

I'm not sure, let me show you a picture of what I am talking about...Imagine the arrows continuing to travel behind the hump all the way down.

I won't be replacing quarters, I don't feel it is necessary. The cancer is small (about 5 x 2", though there is rust surrounding it obviously). I was just going to fabricate a patch for it and weld it in.

Is this the area you though I was referring to? Maybe I could get that small area sandblasted, or use a cheap hand blaster. Otherwise, I'd have to think of a way to seal that hole I ripped and soak the area in a rust dissolver overnight. Though any progress would largely be unseen except where the hole is. I'll post a pic of the hole later.

Last edited by MarcZ : 03-24-2007 at 10:11:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:27:33 PM   #5
Ryan 79
Lifetime Gold Member

Somebody will probably throw a fit, but here's what I did.

I took out the small body drain that is in the inner fenders of the trunk extension on both sides. I then tried to beat out everything that would come out of that drain by hitting the area around the trunk extentions with a small dead blow hammer.

I made a long, but small extension for my shop vac out of a piece of rubber hose, and sucked out everything I could. I then POR 15ed this area with a paintbrush tied onto the end of a stick, and did it about three times until I was convinced I had the area covered.

With the body drains still out, I filled this area with expandable foam. Stick the extension on the can as far down as you can, and inject the foam in there, and leave it alone until the foam dries. Once it dries, you can cut off what overflows on the inside of the trunk and came out the body drain. I then sealed the body drain and re installed it.

I didn't want anything falling or leaking into that area and rusting out the quarter panel from the inside, which is usually what happens. I'm pretty confident that my quarters will never rust there.
Ryan 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 03-24-2007, 11:32:04 PM   #6
MarcZ
Veteran Member

That's great, Ryan! Thanks a lot for the tip! Just the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:31:57 AM   #7
71 Camaro
Veteran Member

Interesting idea. I am not quite so confident that you will have no more problems in that area though.
71 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:46:13 AM   #8
vfitom2aol.com
Veteran Member

If he has any future problems, they probably will be from the outside only.
vfitom2aol.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07:03 AM   #9
Rick WI
Veteran Member

Yup, that's the place I was thinking. Here is the best long term advice I can give you based on a lot of years of experience. If you want to fix the rust eliminate it. You need to cut it all out, blast areas clean you can't reskin and seal. Look at how the bottom of that extension pinch welds into the quarter. Inspect that area closely. If you have a hole that big in the extension that welded flange area most likely is also corroded.

It may be best to cut out that lower piece and section in a new extension as best you can.

A 5X2 rust hole in my book, especially on that piece is HUGE.

I agree, Ryan will only have issues on the outside of the lower quarter, but not for the reason you think VF.

The issue of restoring bodywork comes down to this. How good of a job do you want to do? Let's assume you are a buyer. Do you want to buy a restored car that has rust all covered up? Or do you want to buy a restored car that has a solid clean body free from rust? There are less hard/shortcut ways to restore bodywork and there are correct ways to restore bodywork. ALL of it is hard, and to do it correctly does not take all that much more time.

What if you went to the GM factory to see your new car being build and the body was all together going down the chain getting ready to get painted and it was COVERED in rust. The Plant Manager says, "don't worry, we cover all that rust with a whoop de whoop coating prior to applying the paint". Do you want THAT car or a car that is spotless prior to going in the paint booth, then goes through a 7 stage wash process, then baked, then dipped in ECoat, then dried then painted then baked. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, all could save a HUGE amount of dollars not properly prepping the sheetmetal prior to primer and paint.

Last edited by Rick WI : 03-25-2007 at 01:16:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:19:34 PM   #10
MarcZ
Veteran Member

Here's some pictures of the rust hole taken from outside the trunk extension:

Old 03-25-2007, 09:46:43 PM   #11
Rick WI
Veteran Member

Total rot, it all needs to be cut out and replaced with new metal.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:21:47 AM   #12
MarcZ
Veteran Member

Damn, and I'm finding more on the side of the firewall area behind the fender.