NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back > General & Off-Topic Topics > The BS Topic
User Name

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13:00 PM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: monroe N.Y.
Posts: 65
registering a "MV-907A" salvage certificate car

hey guys..if i am buying a car (lexus is 300) that has a title of NY-MV-907A (salvage certificate) do i havee to have the guy i'm buying it from do the work and have it inspected, or can he sign over the certificate to me and i do the work and have it inspected? i would raher do the work myself, because its a hell of a deal..but i dont want to talk to the guy too much and have him start to increase the price on me. can anyone shead light on this for me?
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-14-2006, 02:20:23 PM   #2
Lifetime Gold Member
PaRoadDawg's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 1,089
I'm not sure of NY, but in PA he can sign the title over to you. Make sure you get a bill of sale and keep all your receipts that are needed to fix it.
I'm a lifeguard for the shallow end of the gene pool.
PaRoadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:42:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Clay,NY
Posts: 2,066
yes he can. and just like paroaddawg said keep a receipt for EVERY part you purchase for it. in order to get the vehicle registered it has to be inspected by dmv (not your local garage) and you have to show where each part came from. i'm assuming your buying the car to fix/use. if you're hoping to make $$$ fixing and selling a lot of people are very hesitant about of buying a car with a salvage title. you also want to make sure you can get the parts you need for a reasonable amount or you'll spend the money you saved on labor for the parts. good luck.
Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars
ls777z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:40:07 PM   #4
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my O2 socket
Posts: 12,153
Out here in California we need to have the VIN recorded for all the donor cars too. So you may want to check on that.
What you find on Facebook should stay on Facebook.
Knuckle Dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:54:41 PM   #5
Lifetime Gold Member
PaRoadDawg's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 1,089
Yeah, as Dave stated, any major parts (i.e. frame, front clip, motor), you need to have the VIN from the donor car. I forgot about that.
I'm a lifeguard for the shallow end of the gene pool.
PaRoadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:50:30 PM   #6
Lifetime Gold Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,873
You have to have a rebuilders license here to get a rebuilt title from a salvage car.

Salvage Vehicle Inspections
The Illinois Vehicle Code mandates that the Secretary of
State Police physically inspect all salvage vehicles that
are eight model years old or newer before a rebuilt title
may be issued.
The purpose of the inspection is to identify essential parts
and review all required documentation. These inspections
are not intended to certify the safety or road-worthiness
of the vehicle or the quality of the workmanship in the
rebuilding process.
Before being brought to the salvage inspection station, all
vehicles must first be taken to an Illinois Department of
Transportation (IDOT) Safety Testing Lane and pass a
safety test.
To make an appointment for a vehicle inspection, contact
a Secretary of State Police Inspection Station listed on the
back of this brochure.
A licensed rebuilder may drive the vehicle, or have it
driven, to the inspection station, providing the vehicle is
properly registered with valid dealer plates, a free 72-Hour
Permit or a 7-Day Permit obtained from a Secretary of
State facility for a $10 fee.

The following documents must be presented before the
inspection begins:
• Properly assigned salvage certificate in the name of
the rebuilder exactly as it appears on the rebuilder’s
license. Upon arrival at the station, the
odometer reading must be noted on the application.
• Properly completed application, in the name of the
rebuilder, for a rebuilt title.
• Properly completed salvage affirmation identifying all
essential parts that have been replaced on the rebuilt
• The original uniform invoices (bills) for all essential
parts changed; junking titles/applications in the name
of the rebuilder for vehicles from which essential parts
have been used to rebuild the salvage vehicle.
• IDOT vehicle inspection report and properly affixed
non-expiring sticker.
• Valid driver’s license of the driver of the salvage

During the inspection, some parts may be removed to
allow examination of the vehicle identification numbers.
These numbers may include, but are not limited to:
• public VIN
• transmission number
• body number
• federal stickers
• engine number
• frame number
• mylar stickers
Any vehicle or part bearing identification numbers
determined to have been removed, altered, falsified,
destroyed, mutilated, tampered with or stolen may be
impounded immediately and held for evidence in
accordance with Section 3-308 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Copyright © 1997 - 2015 Inc.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.