NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics
User Name
Password

Old 09-28-2006, 10:12:53 AM   #1
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Thumbs up my Herb Adams mod...(pic)

Add a little rattle can black and it's ready to go back on the car

Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-28-2006, 10:24:44 AM   #2
buckeye79Z
Veteran Member

Nice.

I read the articles that were posted here a while back, and thought of doing the mod when I re-did the rear this summer.

But I just couldn't get that little guy off my shoulder whispering that SOMEHOW I'd screw it up!

Hope it all works well for you.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:32:13 AM   #3
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Buckeye,
I have the rear out right now and I'm waiting for the C5 brake parts to all arrive before I re-install the rear back in the car. I figured while the leaf springs are swinging in the air...why not jump on it and do it. It isn't hard, just need a good square, I squared off the sides and made my marks to relocate the holes and cut-outs for the spring eye, burned out the cut-outs with the plasma torch here at work and drilled the holes in the drill press.

Go for it Buckeye, you can do it! (only takes a few minutes) to take out the front perches and then a few more minutes for layout and drilling/cutting.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58:23 AM   #4
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

Are you going to weld in the old holes?

Nice to have a plasma torch for this... very neat cutting job!
You picked the right time to do this.

I thought about it when I replaced my leaf springs last year but I didn't want to mess with the height of the rear until I saw how it sat with new springs and no air shocks.
Now... I can't convince myself pulling it all apart again would be worth it unless I cut my front springs too.

Maybe some day.... Great pics, Thanks!
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07:33 AM   #5
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Thought about plugging the old holes, but that is another adjustment if I ever needed to free it up a little bit, but right now the thing is way too free for me to drive it hard, I like it a little more balanced. I don't want to shove the front wheels either, so we'll see how it does in the top hole for right now.
I still might re-inforce the outside of the brackets by plating it in the area of the holes, just not sure, I keep picking them up and looking at them and debating it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:13:50 AM   #6
67lemanster
LGM, Team Flatback

wish i woulda known about that when i did my springs. grrrrrrr.

looks great john btw how them brackets coming. seems you are working on other things instead. makes me mad.

Hey there Curly, IS YOUR MAMA HOME?

http://smokefreequitmeter.com/index....nner/52022.png

When you are down in the dumps and think you have realproblems, just remember:
SOMEWHERE IN THIS WORLD,
THERE IS A POOR BASTARD NAMED MR. PELOSI.....

http://community.webshots.com/user/scamaro69
67lemanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15:43 AM   #7
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Those brackets are creeping across the nation....according to UPS tracking, they left Oregon this AM @ 3.....
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04:15 PM   #8
PhilZ
Veteran Member

Good job John, I am planning to do the same mod this winter. Would it be possible to post a before and after picts so we could see how it affected the stance of the car?
With warm personal regards

Phil
PhilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:12:52 PM   #9
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Well, Phil.....I don't have any real good pics of the stance before, because I did a lot of other stuff too, like replaced the rear springs with less arch, and lowered the front also, plus installed a few #'s heavier transmission, so I'll only have after pics but....they may be a while coming, because my factory 15" five spoke rims won't fit over the C5 Corvette calipers and I'll need to save up some coin to purchase 17" rims and tires before I can set it back down on all fours again.

I'm thinking it isn't going to effect the ride height but a very small amount. If I was moving the pin location on the front and rear of the spring, I suppose it would effect the ride height by the full 3/4" that I moved it.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:36:14 PM   #10
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

I decided it couldn't hurt anything to plate the sides of these brackets, so here is what I came up with....1/8"FB x 2" x 3" cut to fit.
They are just bolted right now to hold them in place and keep the holes lined up so I can weld them. Busy as a beaver today here at work, so i don't know if I'll get to weld them up and take more pics or not... stay tuned....
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48:21 PM   #11
Kasey74
Lifetime Gold Member

[IMG][/IMG] 73 rs w/ 17x8's and 17x 9's w/ 245 and 275 40 17's. i did the herb adam's mod a few year's ago, and if i remember correctly, the article stated that it would help the car squat better, as well as lower the body CG in relationship with the suspension... make's sense !

Last edited by Kasey74 : 09-28-2006 at 02:51:33 PM.
Kasey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:02:00 PM   #12
snyguy
Lifetime Gold Member

I've been working on this and kinda got off track and haven't finished it. I was wondering what are the dimensions of the "squares" you cut out. I was kinda scared to cut out too much at once and I've already cut it again once. My bushings went in really tight so I wasn't sure if I needed to trim a little more or just break out the bfh.
snyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08:18 PM   #13
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

OK..... got one bracket welded up inbetween inspection, now off to more meetings......
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57:36 PM   #14
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyguy
I was wondering what are the dimensions of the "squares" you cut out.

I cut 2 3/4" front to back; and 3 1/4" side to side. Be sure to radius the corners, square corners will make a stress raiser. I haven't tried them on the car yet....it's pouring down rain with huge lightening bolts streaking all around....
Old 09-28-2006, 07:09:22 PM   #15
Jet
Lifetime Gold Member

I screwed one of mine up when I did it a few weeks back, fortunately it was the driver's side bracket, i.e., the one that is reproduced.