NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General & Off-Topic Topics > The BS Topic
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2013, 11:11:08 PM   #1
RS1979
Lifetime Gold Member

Thumbs up Fast and Loud COPO Camaro

Last night I watched Richard put together a bada$$ COPO Camaro. Being new to Camaros, I'd never heard of one. That is one fast car. They said it will run mid 8's to 9's from the factory.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17:27 PM   #2
Lrader99
LGM /Site Sponsor

They are GM's new non street legal drag pack. Here are the specs:
GM Performance COPO Camaro

If I remember correctly they came with like an 80K + price tag.

Last edited by Lrader99 : 10-15-2013 at 11:19:44 PM.
Lrader99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:27:17 PM   #3
RS1979
Lifetime Gold Member

Question

The build sheet explains why the car is so fast. Richard put the 427 in the one he built. I wonder if they told him it wasn't street legal?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31:20 PM   #4
dirtmod08
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1979
The build sheet explains why the car is so fast. Richard put the 427 in the one he built. I wonder if they told him it wasn't street legal?
He's just going to flip it anyway. What he doesn't realize is that buyers don't appreciate his crappy stickers all over those cars he's trying to sell.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37:52 PM   #5
ColdBastrd
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmod08
He's just going to flip it anyway. What he doesn't realize is that buyers don't appreciate his crappy stickers all over those cars he's trying to sell.
Agreed. To put them on that car was just in poor taste. They should remove easily though.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44:22 PM   #6
ThumperZ28
Veteran Member

I saw one of these a couple weeks ago cruising by the blvd, I thought it looked strange with those tires and the cowl hood I remember telling my brother it idled choppy for a modern fuel injected motor.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47:02 PM   #7
dirtmod08
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBastrd
Agreed. To put them on that car was just in poor taste. They should remove easily though.
He could have some classy adhesive emblems made up for what he makes off those cars. He thinks the celebrity factor of these cars is selling them, people spending that much money have more class than that.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10:17 AM   #8
Lrader99
LGM /Site Sponsor

I am not really a fan of the show. I don't like what he does to cars.

Like that wrecked Ferrari they bought and rebuilt. Why didnt they brace up the engine bay before they started pulling on the frame. The engine fit when they disassembled it but was near 1/2" off when they went to reassemble. OH, lets just cut the engine mounts off 1/2 million dollar race car and re-weld them! Thank god his money backer ended up buying the car!

They cut so many corners, and that's only what they show us on TV. Imagine the crap they pull behind scenes.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22:51 AM   #9
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member

Fast and Loud=Fake and Lousy. Insults my intelligence.

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century
2006 Silverado 1500 ext. cab 5.3L
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:24:47 AM   #10
Lrader99
LGM /Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonards78LT
Fast and Loud=Fake and Lousy. Insults my intelligence.

I needed a "LIKE" button for this.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-16-2013, 12:50:41 AM   #11
Chevrolaine
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrader99
I am not really a fan of the show. I don't like what he does to cars.

Like that wrecked Ferrari they bought and rebuilt. Why didnt they brace up the engine bay before they started pulling on the frame. The engine fit when they disassembled it but was near 1/2" off when they went to reassemble. OH, lets just cut the engine mounts off 1/2 million dollar race car and re-weld them! Thank god his money backer ended up buying the car!

They cut so many corners, and that's only what they show us on TV. Imagine the crap they pull behind scenes.
Weren't those factory Ferrari technicians doing most of the work on that with him though...at the Ferrari shop??

Laine O LIVE LOVE DRIVE!

My 72 Project Thread - http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...113094&page=14
My 69 Chevy Stepside Thread -http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...=1#post3058930

72 Camaro - 468,3;42, Woot!
92 Camaro RS - Restored Auto-X wanna-be
69 C10 - retro shop truck
Chevrolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:58:01 AM   #12
ColdBastrd
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolaine
Weren't those factory Ferrari technicians doing most of the work on that with him though...at the Ferrari shop??
The ones who tore it apart and then did the final assembly was. That was Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas. The bodyshop though isn't an authorized Ferrari bodyshop. To give you some "insider" perspective, the tech who they were interviewing that did the teardown is a tech over at Boardwalk and I know him. In the show they said it was his shop....it isn't. The reason I believe was they were using that non authorized bodyshop to do the frame straightening AND they used counterfeit frame parts on it too. So they were trying to keep it on the d/l. We keep a tight lockdown on structural items and we only release such items to our 7 factory trained bodyshops. This is to ensure proper repair to the vehicle. Houston is a factory bodyshop but I suspect they didn't want the job because the car was too far beyond repair. We also keep very detailed records of the fleet which you can do when you are only building 1500 cars a year. So I believe it was an effort to keep the repairs off our books. That also included not buying any of the body pieces like the front end and windshield through our dealer network. They must have obtained those from one of the overseas dealers. I'm not sure if it was just tv drama, but if the prices he was talking about paying for some of those items are correct, he WAY overpaid for most of the items. Like triple to quadruple retail price on some of that stuff. And the whole "I can't get this windshield anywhere" BS....not true. I can get my hands on them in about a week no problem. The factory keeps plenty of spares for those cars.

He was also going on about how the "purist" told him he couldn't paint it black. Well they did so to keep the value of the car. If you take that F40 they built and put it next to a factory untouched F40 (same mileage), that black one is worth about 1/2 what an untouched one would be. You see unlike most vehicles where if you have them moded it increases their value, when you start moding a Ferrari (ie going outside the lines of what the factory built) it DECREASES the value of the vehicle UNLESS you use factory aftersales parts (like carbon fiber trim pieces and such).

So to summarize, he got hosed on the prices of the parts. If the car gets into an accident and folds up like a tin can because the repairs were done by a non authorized shop, he can't sue the manufacturer (well they could try but probably won't win). And they cut the value on the car by about half. There is my take on that car from someone in the know about such things.

Last edited by ColdBastrd : 10-16-2013 at 02:06:42 AM.
ColdBastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20:15 AM   #13
Damon23
Veteran Member

I believe he sold that copo at the Barrett Jackson in Vegas last month. It was still as hideous then but you can remove stickers.

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers. Vote 2012.
Damon23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:30:16 AM   #14
Camarolina
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon23
I believe he sold that copo at the Barrett Jackson in Vegas last month. It was still as hideous then but you can remove stickers.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...ln=427&aid=523
Camarolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01:18 AM   #15
dirtmod08
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBastrd
The ones who tore it apart and then did the final assembly was. That was Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas. The bodyshop though isn't an authorized Ferrari bodyshop. To give you some "insider" perspective, the tech who they were interviewing that did the teardown is a tech over at Boardwalk and I know him. In the show they said it was his shop....it isn't. The reason I believe was they were using that non authorized bodyshop to do the frame straightening AND they used counterfeit frame parts on it too. So they were trying to keep it on the d/l. We keep a tight lockdown on structural items and we only release such items to our 7 factory trained bodyshops. This is to ensure proper repair to the vehicle. Houston is a factory bodyshop but I suspect they didn't want the job because the car was too far beyond repair. We also keep very detailed records of the fleet which you can do when you are only building 1500 cars a year. So I believe it was an effort to keep the repairs off our books. That also included not buying any of the body pieces like the front end and windshield through our dealer network. They must have obtained those from one of the overseas dealers. I'm not sure if it was just tv drama, but if the prices he was talking about paying for some of those items are correct, he WAY overpaid for most of the items. Like triple to quadruple retail price on some of that stuff. And the whole "I can't get this windshield anywhere" BS....not true. I can get my hands on them in about a week no problem. The factory keeps plenty of spares for those cars.

He was also going on about how the "purist" told him he couldn't paint it black. Well they did so to keep the value of the car. If you take that F40 they built and put it next to a factory untouched F40 (same mileage), that black one is worth about 1/2 what an untouched one would be. You see unlike most vehicles where if you have them moded it increases their value, when you start moding a Ferrari (ie going outside the lines of what the factory built) it DECREASES the value of the vehicle UNLESS you use factory aftersales parts (like carbon fiber trim pieces and such).

So to summarize, he got hosed on the prices of the parts. If the car gets into an accident and folds up like a tin can because the repairs were done by a non authorized shop, he can't sue the manufacturer (well they could try but probably won't win). And they cut the value on the car by about half. There is my take on that car from someone in the know about such things.
Dennis didn't want gas monkey crap all over that car, imagine that. I'm sure the buyout was staged.