NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Transmission & Driveline Topics
User Name
Password

Old 07-22-2013, 09:43:14 PM   #1
70gsimp

4 speed hurst competition plus ????

Questions for any and all. I recently posted a thread about my shifter having a catch between 2nd and 3rd. Ok I have completely gone through this shifter. Cleaned everything, inspected everything, lightly greased everything. I even had advice to put new detent springs in which i ordered and did. As i said in the other thread, i have to monkey with the shifter between 2nd and 3rd to get it to go into 3rd. It's like i gotta move it up and down a little bit, almost force it to go into 3rd. I put the allen wrench in the hole to and aligned all the levers. Maybe I am not adjusting this thing correctly. SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE. This is driving me crazy. I inspected every part, nothing shows any scuffing or unusual wear anywhere. I must be out of adjustment somewhere....somehow. If there is any video's anywhere let me know, i went on youtube, i didnt see anything. Somebody out there knows something.....help guys, i gotta beat this thing. Thanks in advance
70gsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49:02 PM   #2
Air_Adam
Veteran Member

Did you replace the plastic bushings on the rods/shift levers? On the shifter side and trans side? That can make a BIG difference.
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 07-22-2013, 10:59:16 PM   #3
fbody_mike
Veteran Member

The Muncie transmissions have interlock scissors on the inside of the side cover. What these scissors do is to prevent 1/2 shift fork from moving if the 3/4 shift fork is in 3rd or 4th gear, and vice versa. When you shift from 2nd to third a series of things happen. While in 2nd gear, the scissor interlock is in such a position that it prevents the 3/4 fork from moving. When you attempt to shift from 2nd to 3rd you first move the shifter to neutral, this moves is suppose to release the scissor interlock that was holding the 3/4 fork from moving. Then you move the shifter to 3rd which engages the scissor interlock on the 1/2 fork.

If the adjustment is ok on your shift rods, and your shifter is ok then it may be that the scissor interlocks are not releasing the 3/4 fork when you shift from 2nd to neutral. Therefore when you try to move to 3rd gear, the interlock is holding the fork from moving.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong because I can't remember what gear to put the trans in that makes it much easier to remove the side cover, but I think it is 2nd gear. If it is 2nd gear, then remove the bolts or nuts that are holding the arms to the transmission, then remove the bolts on the side cover. Hopefully you can pull the forks at the same time with the side cover so you can see how the scissor interlock was interacting with the forks. Maybe the spring on scissors broke or fell off.

Last edited by fbody_mike : 07-22-2013 at 11:02:17 PM.
fbody_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05:50 PM   #4
fbody_mike
Veteran Member

Here is a picture to show what I am trying to describe.

fbody_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19:11 PM   #5
Rene Melten
Lifetime Gold Member

^^^
Good pic, what I saw on mine was that the fat tip of the forks were very worn so I replaced them and the trans shifted smoother. BW Super T-10, but same same. Just another hunch.
http://s930.photobucket.com/user/73r...423-1.jpg.html
Rene Melten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46:30 AM   #6
70gsimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Adam
Did you replace the plastic bushings on the rods/shift levers? On the shifter side and trans side? That can make a BIG difference.

YES
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35:10 PM   #7
COPO
Lifetime Gold Member

Shifter adjustment http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/images...%20shifter.jpg

The tool must be snug and fit like this.

Qjet rebuilt etc http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/qjet.zip
The angle of the tangle X's the heat of the meat = the mass of the ASS.
COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54:39 PM   #8
70gsimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO
Shifter adjustment http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/images...%20shifter.jpg

The tool must be snug and fit like this.

well i'll be a SOB....allen wrench was giving me enough slack to cause this catch, a stanley screwdriver took one for the team. Pulled off the end, bent it with the torch and BINGO......my slop is gone....car shifts perfect...who woulda thunk that? Thanks a million