NastyZ28 Forum



Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Transmission & Driveline Topics
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28:34 AM   #1
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
79 clutch fork return spring ?

Hi guys

Ive only posted a couple times, but have been learning alot about my old bucket of bolts for about a year an a half on here.

Im building a ground up pretty nice car, handling , driver in summer, and locals shows, maybe a track day or two

It was roach when I got it and was missing the clutch fork return spring with the adjuster tightened up against the throw out bearing so it would not fall off

I just installed a new 383 and 5 speed, and want to stay with original Z bar linckage, and I have all new parts installed from NPD.

I can make a return spring bracket if I have to, but can anyone tell me where the original fork return spring connects to the frame to keep it in a straight line pull. Seems Im missing the bracket the spring connects to.

Anyone have a picture of this bracket bolted to the frame ?

Thanks Dale Walker @

Holeshot Performance, the motorcyle guy
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39:51 AM   #2
nonstopgo68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 877
I just converted my 79Z to a 4 speed and had the same problem.

I read on here that there is a hole on the subframe right next to the motor mount where it can go. Not sure if its supposed to go there cause I couldnt get it there. I wound up putting mine in a hole on the frame between the z-bar and upper control arm to keep it away form the stock exust manifold. Its kinda off to the side but it works. Im not home but if its still not resolved by tonight ill get some pics.
__________________
"What we got here is Failure to Communicate"

1979 Z28 350 B/W S T-10

My project progress- http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236922
nonstopgo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58:14 AM   #3
Protour-Camaro
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,504
There is no bracket or straight line connection for the spring. It connects to the small hole on top of the driver side sub-frame. It will be at a slight angle, If you have the correct spring, it works like a charm.
Protour-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02:20 PM   #4
nonstopgo68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protour-Camaro
There is no bracket or straight line connection for the spring. It connects to the small hole on top of the driver side sub-frame. It will be at a slight angle, If you have the correct spring, it works like a charm.

I have the spring ground -up sent me. Granted it may be wrong, but it didnt work.
__________________
"What we got here is Failure to Communicate"

1979 Z28 350 B/W S T-10

My project progress- http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236922
nonstopgo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16:43 PM   #5
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
Ok thank you guys, I know this is a simple dumb qusetion. Im pretty sure the kit I have did come with the correct spring, its a real long one. Sure is Mickey Mouse how Chevy made it pull at such an angle to connect to the small hole in the sub frame. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing a bracket if it had one from the factory

Thanks again

Cheers Dale
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20:10 PM   #6
nonstopgo68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Holeshot
Ok thank you guys, I know this is a simple dumb qusetion. Im pretty sure the kit I have did come with the correct spring, its a real long one. Sure is Mickey Mouse how Chevy made it pull at such an angle to connect to the small hole in the sub frame. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing a bracket if it had one from the factory

Thanks again

Cheers Dale

Did yours go to the hole by the mount?

Mabey I did get the wrong spring . GROUND UP !!!!!!!!!!!

lol
__________________
"What we got here is Failure to Communicate"

1979 Z28 350 B/W S T-10

My project progress- http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236922
nonstopgo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16:57 PM   #7
earnhardtgm3
Gold Member
 
earnhardtgm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Camaro Country,GA
Posts: 1,157
Here you go.


__________________
1979 Z 2/8 T-Top----- 388 CI

Lunati Voodoo Retro Hyd Roller Cam
AFR 65cc aluminum heads-180cc competition model
Holley 300-36 intake
MSD 6AL Ignition
Holley 770 street avenger carb
Ceramic headers Pypes X pipe exhaust
350 Turbo w/2700 stall converter(Jegs)
3:42 w/auburn posi

My Z/28 Progress:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129623
earnhardtgm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 11-19-2012, 02:05:57 PM   #8
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
Hi again guys

I just got to my shop and the car is up in the air. I did get the spring connected to the slotted hole in the sub frame near the top , but its quite a stretch. Im pretty sure its the proper spring or it would not have reached at all. Maybe they intended it to be like this, and this tight to be sure the pedal is fully pulled back and keep it off the throw out bearing.

Thanks Earnhard , Ive seen that drawing, but none show or tell yah which hole to connect the darn thing to at the frame.

I may make my own set of headers snaking around things to get more of a semi long tube type that still has some decent ground clearance for these lowered cars. As many of you know, and from what I read you have to run the super shorties with the Z bar linkage. I dont want to do that

We make some pretty trick motorcyle headers and my brother in law Paul is a heck of a fab master.

Trouble is making headers by hand in small numbers cost allot and would be pretty pricey.

Thanks for the freindly advise

Dale @ Holeshot
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37:59 PM   #9
nonstopgo68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 877
Im using the stock manifolds
__________________
"What we got here is Failure to Communicate"

1979 Z28 350 B/W S T-10

My project progress- http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236922
nonstopgo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35:19 PM   #10
Protour-Camaro
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Holeshot
Hi again guys

I just got to my shop and the car is up in the air. I did get the spring connected to the slotted hole in the sub frame near the top , but its quite a stretch. Im pretty sure its the proper spring or it would not have reached at all. Maybe they intended it to be like this, and this tight to be sure the pedal is fully pulled back and keep it off the throw out bearing.

Thanks Earnhard , Ive seen that drawing, but none show or tell yah which hole to connect the darn thing to at the frame.

I may make my own set of headers snaking around things to get more of a semi long tube type that still has some decent ground clearance for these lowered cars. As many of you know, and from what I read you have to run the super shorties with the Z bar linkage. I dont want to do that

We make some pretty trick motorcyle headers and my brother in law Paul is a heck of a fab master.

Trouble is making headers by hand in small numbers cost allot and would be pretty pricey.

Thanks for the freindly advise

Dale @ Holeshot




I can't say much for a new spring, but yes its a little snug installed, as it should be. You don't want that sucker falling off or not pulling the fork back to rest.
Protour-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07:24 PM   #11
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protour-Camaro
I can't say much for a new spring, but yes its a little snug installed, as it should be. You don't want that sucker falling off or not pulling the fork back to rest.


Yeah I agree with that one PTC

Now I need to figure out how to re size photos so I can show you a few lol

D
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42:55 PM   #12
grzewnicki
Lifetime Gold Member
 
grzewnicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Posts: 1,946
I made an "L" bracket and put it on one of my oil pan bolts and conencted the spring to that. Nice and straight, touches/rubs nothing. Simple fix.
__________________
1972 Z/28 350 HO Crate Motor with LT4 hot cam, TKO500 and 3.42.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ght=grzewnicki

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today - Homer Simpson

"We started out wanting to change the world and found out all we could really do was help out around the neighborhood." Rick Danko (The Band)
grzewnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49:29 PM   #13
krabben1
Lifetime Gold Member
 
krabben1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ( . Y . )Delco
Posts: 7,001
Best pic of the spring I got.Cant really see where it goes into the frame,but at least it shows you how it runs.
__________________
Gen VI 454, Autogear M-22 W, Moser 12Bolt


I Stole Your Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MZn...=RDN3MZnxJ-lYM

Anything For My Baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cjtJoU2ZE
krabben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38:35 PM   #14
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
Yep looks about the same angle as mine, so must be the slotted hole Im at also

Easy to move if you had to though

Cheers D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch return spring 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	14498  Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch return sprng 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	14499  
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51:42 PM   #15
DW Holeshot
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yerington Nevada
Posts: 58
Hey Krabben

I like your gray firewall. I know you have a BB, but what brand headers are those, they snake though there pretty good, are those 3" collectors, and is your exhaust tube below the sub frame or able to be about even with it ?

Cheers Dale
DW Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Copyright © 1997 - 2014 NastyZ28.com Inc.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.