NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Original Drivetrain Topic
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54:17 PM   #1
80WA7113
Veteran Member

RPO B84 Body Side Moldings (1973)

Does anybody know if the original 18 piece (or 24 piece if you count the impact strips and channels as separate components) B84 body side moldings are being reproduced? My car had them originally (found the old mounting holes) and I want to put them back on again.

Not sure if this style was 1970-73 only or the same style moldings were used on the later 2nd gens...there's not much info that I've been able to track down on these
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09:01 PM   #2
camaro73lt
Veteran Member

Have you got a picture by any chance? My 73 LT had body side molding running down the center of the doors, front fender / rear quarter (I think). I was not sure if it was factory installed or not. Curious if your molding pics match up to my old pics.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37:44 PM   #3
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Pictures of the molding? No, it's long gone, all I have left are the mounting holes above the body line (mid door height) where the channels were riveted to the panels. As you said, they were installed on the front fender, door, and rear 1/4 on the dog leg.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42:38 AM   #4
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Body Side Molding Pictures

I did some digging and found a couple of pictures online. Although on this car the moldings are incorrectly mounted, you can see what the correct moldings should look like. (According to the 1973 AIM, and the mounting holes I have in my car, the one pictures are mounted in the wrong location, and should be mounted above the body line)

In the closeup you can see the individual parts that make up one piece of the molding

Old 05-04-2012, 10:06:19 PM   #5
twozs
Veteran Member

i want to say from looking at the 73 AM that the molding is a 1 piece / per part molding . the am would say that the molding was sub assembled by fisher if it was . the door and quarter panel molding was applied at fisher . the front sheet metal was not on the car at this point . the front end was assembled on the Chevy side ( chassis line , pretty late in the assembly ) . thats what this depiction of the fender molding is . its applied at the Chevrolet side . part #5 seems to be 1 piece . i don't think that your picture is the original molding on a 73 . ( its definitely elaborate for a camaro ) .

Last edited by twozs : 05-04-2012 at 11:46:09 PM.
twozs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41:43 AM   #6
80WA7113
Veteran Member

I saw that in my '73 AIM too which got me reconsidering what I thought was the original style molding. The reason I was thought the molding in the pics above was stock was because a few months ago there was a member selling what he said was original body side molding from his 1972 and it was exactly the same "multi piece per section" style.

The thing that makes me think "multi piece" instead of one piece is view B in the AIM drawing above. The cross section shows a spring clip inside the molding, and gives a separate part # for the clip. And looking at the actual location of the clip studs in the view on the LH side of the drawing, the only way to get to that clip would be if the black rubber filler strip was removable.

Is it possible that the molding shown in the above pics could have been a dealer add-on style? Over time I've seen this style on more than one Camaro--but pics of these cars with the "original" molding seem almost impossible to find, since it seems like most people discarded it on the first or 2nd repaint.

Last edited by 80WA7113 : 05-05-2012 at 05:51:20 AM.
80WA7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46:02 AM   #7
Doug G
Veteran Member

Most of the dealer add on style would have used the double sided adhesive tape. No way they would pull inner fenders, door panels, etc, just to add on the original style, and bolt it on, with the cheaper style available, and the new owner wanting to pick up the car. My '72 Malibu had dealer installed molding, and it was the stick on style.
Doug G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23:07 AM   #8
twozs
Veteran Member

well Ive been trying to come up with something , but here is what i get ... here is a 71 with the molding pictured above here is a 76 with the 1 piece . both cars are on ebay right now . the 76 seems to be a very low mile 1 owner ( look at those rare polycast rims , the trim rings are in the trunk ) and the 71 is ??? . but again both cars are on ebay now . in summation , i guess they changed at some point . was it 73 ? it seems to be . it might have even been 72

Last edited by twozs : 05-06-2012 at 11:26:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22:29 PM   #9
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G
Most of the dealer add on style would have used the double sided adhesive tape. No way they would pull inner fenders, door panels, etc, just to add on the original style, and bolt it on, with the cheaper style available, and the new owner wanting to pick up the car. My '72 Malibu had dealer installed molding, and it was the stick on style.

Agreed the dealer would not tear the car apart to mount side moldings, but they could easily drill holes and rivet them in. The reason I mention this is because I have seen Pete at Fbodywarehouse reference "riveted on" body side moldings on 2nd gen cars...so while it looks like the factory used studs and self threading PAL nuts, (ref AIM), it is altogether possible the dealer riveted on the aluminum channels that held the rubber moldings, and drilled the holes for the screws that help the end pieces in place...that is of course, IF they were installing the original molding as shown by twozs on the yellow 71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twozs
well Ive been trying to come up with something , but here is what i get ... here is a 71 with the molding pictured above here is a 76 with the 1 piece . both cars are on ebay right now . the 76 seems to be a very low mile 1 owner ( look at those rare polycast rims , the trim rings are in the trunk ) and the 71 is ??? . but again both cars are on ebay now . in summation , i guess they changed at some point . was it 73 ? it seems to be . it might have even been 72

Although mounted below the body line, The 71 looks like the original style molding. I did find a place that used to sell the component pieces, but most have been discontinued...like the blunt ends, bullet ends, and wedge ends.

From what I've learned through a few hours of research, the fenders used a channel, insert, blunt end in the back (as seen above-next to the door), and bullet end in the front. The doors used a channel, rubber insert, blunt end in the rear, and wedge end in the front (see 71 above)t to clear the fender when opening the door. The rear 1/4 was the opposite of the front with the blunt edge near the door and the bullet towards the rear.

GM may have assigned an individual part number to each "section", but each section was composed of several component parts.

I could swear that I saw (at one time) someone who was remaking these moldings, but I'll be darned if I can find them.

Oh, the 76's molding looks like the stuff you can buy at Autozone, etc...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28:10 PM   #10
spons
Lifetime Gold Member

Dave,

Let me know and I'll be right over to weld those holes up.

Andy

70 SS L48 Forest Green Auto
spons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59:45 PM   #11
twozs
Veteran Member

what I'm saying about the assembly manual deposition , it clearly shows a 1 piece molding in 73 on the front fender . if the molding was sub assembled it would prompt you to a sub assembly sheet for assembly instructions whether it was a fisher job or a gmad job . if it was put on the car in its individual pieces it would have the part # of each individual part on the assembly manual sheet . and as far as the 76 that what the 1 piece looked like , the stick on stuff .
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20:27 PM   #12
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twozs
what I'm saying about the assembly manual deposition , it clearly shows a 1 piece molding in 73 on the front fender . if the molding was sub assembled it would prompt you to a sub assembly sheet for assembly instructions whether it was a fisher job or a gmad job . if it was put on the car in its individual pieces it would have the part # of each individual part on the assembly manual sheet . and as far as the 76 that what the 1 piece looked like , the stick on stuff .

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification on how assemblies and sub-assemblies were broken down and referenced, that's good info to know!

I'm not sure how I missed this in my searches, but I did find that Camaro Central offers body side molding trim for $200 here So now I'd like to hear from someone who had (or has) this style trim on their car, and more importantly see some closeup pics of it either installed or off the car to see if the is "correct" or not. Direct Replacement doesn't always = Correct Replacement.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45:45 AM   #13
camaro73lt
Veteran Member

I will see if I can find the original pics of my 73 with the moldings. They definitely are not close up. I have the factory window sticker; would they have been listed with an RPO code?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34:32 PM   #14
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro73lt
I will see if I can find the original pics of my 73 with the moldings. They definitely are not close up. I have the factory window sticker; would they have been listed with an RPO code?

That would be much appreciated

The window sticker would not have the RPO code on it. RPO codes are listed on the build sheet--but since it was an option, if it was installed on the car at the factory it should be listed on the window sticker with any other options installed, and would most likely be listed as Body Side Molding or something very similar
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17:26 PM   #15
twozs
Veteran Member

the rpo codes are listed on the window sticker to the left of the option listed . ( B84) . a 70 that seems to be real (file photo)

Last edited by twozs : 05-07-2012 at 09:25:34 PM.