NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Body Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2012, 06:21:33 PM   #1
1971CamaroGuy
Veteran Member

School me on how to apply rust mort and how it works??

I had a ton of surface rust on my roof when I got my car, it had a vinyl top originally but that was long gone.

I have my roof sanded down to the black rust now, and I want to figure out a way to treat it before epoxy prime. It's still pretty solid and straight...sand a little pitting but I should be able to prime and wetsand the pits out.

I am trying evoporust right now and it doesn't seem to be working as good as they claim it to be. I'm soaking the roof overnight with towels and saran wrap per evaporust suggestions so we'll see. Personally this stuff kind of sucks.

I'm looking at a product called rust-mort by sem.....how do you apply this and does it work pretty fast? Does it remove the rust or "convert" it?

Will I need to sand after application before prime or would I need to rinse it off and dry the roof first?

Just need a good solid way to do this....I did sandblast a little but I'm wasting a lot of sandblast....went through 7-8 50lb bags and didn't even knock a dent in it

My Build: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241037
1971CamaroGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-01-2012, 06:35:39 PM   #2
leafs_11
BANNED

a small stiff fine wire brush will be yur best friend,keep scrubbing.you want a fine brush to work in the pits
leafs_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:39:16 PM   #3
1971CamaroGuy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_11
a small stiff fine wire brush will be yur best friend,keep scrubbing.you want a fine brush to work in the pits

Thanks for the reply, is that using rust mort? I thought about wire brushing the whole roof with a round wire bristle attachment.

My Build: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241037
1971CamaroGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41:58 PM   #4
mgoad1971
Lifetime Gold Member

Evaporust works when the part is immersed in it, like vinegar. Except vinegar is WAY cheaper and does the same thing.
POR 15 works good but I would tend to stay away from visable body parts and only use it in places like the floorpans or trunk pan, sub frame etc.

Sand it down to bare metal. That is the way to do it.

Rust mort would be the same as a POR 15 product. Converting rust is another way to say chemically changing it. Here is my rust thread using vinegar to 'convert' it.

The above post may have needed a sarcasm font....
mgoad1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27:37 PM   #5
76 camaro car 1
Veteran Member

Yes,rust mort converts the rust. It turns it a grayish black color. I used it 3 years ago on my floors and no sign of rust returning to date. I used a wire brush on a drill but still had to chip some of the flake off with a hammer. You want to try and get all the flaking off the metal. That is essential. Then I brushed on about 3 light to medium coats of rust mort about 30 minutes apart. Then let it sit and dry 24 hours. After the 24 hours use a damp rag and wipe off the treated area and dry with a towel. Be sure to get all the sticky stuff off and epoxy.