NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2012, 07:11:37 PM   #1
Mottley's79
Veteran Member

Rear Leaf Springs... is there any truth?

There is so much BS on here about the second gen leaf springs. 3, 4 and 5 leafs, different spring rates, junk parts. I am looking for an affordable ($350 with shipping included) factory style set of replacement rear springs for my 1979 Z28 that I can either get locally or shipped for a reasonable price. The local spring shop quoted me $500 taxes in for a new set (Don't know brand) or $450 to get my old junk ones 'rebuilt'. The summit springs (SUM-7081GM) look like a great option, but everyone says they are crap and are for a Nova. Is there truth other than a $500 bill?
╚══════════╝

Last edited by Mottley's79 : 03-16-2012 at 07:21:13 PM.
Mottley's79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19:59 PM   #2
warped
Lifetime Gold Member

$500?!?! I think it is time to find a new spring shop. I got mine re-arched and rebuilt for $60 per side. Tookj them apart (5 leaf) replaced the sliders and clips after they arched them back to spec.

If you look around, you will find springs from many of the usual sources for under $200, though as you say, sometimes you takes your chances with what springs you will get. I would at the very least look around for another spring shop you can compare prices with. Maybe the first shop really doesn't want the job and just is giving you a high price to scare you off. Good luck.
warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:29:58 PM   #3
grzewnicki
Lifetime Gold Member

I just posted in another thread about springs....after lots of research (on nasty) the consesus seems to be Eaton comes in first for getting people the right ride height. But let me digress and say this, why go with stock springs, I tried Classic Industries, so called replacement springs before I knew better, and the car sat way to high. Now as I look back, what was I thinking? You want you car to handle a bit better than stock right? Look into the Pro touring F Body set up, I used the sport level springs which is advertised as an improved WS-6 (Pontiac Trans Am) suspension. The car sits at a nice height, (read, close to stock height for Sport level springs, I did front and rears) and I have a spring that is engineered to reduce or eliminate wheel hop the rears that is (it works!), and is enginneered for better handling. I would recommend to anyone contemplating springs, spend a little more and go with a spring that gives you more than stock handling, whethe rit be PTFB, Hotchikis or anyone else. Why go through all that work for 70's handling. Later on if you want the easy parts comes, upgrade sway bars, better upper control arms and ball joints, which are all easier than installing springsStart with the springs to give yourself a good base for improving on.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ght=grzewnicki

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today - Homer Simpson

"We started out wanting to change the world and found out all we could really do was help out around the neighborhood." Rick Danko (The Band)

Last edited by grzewnicki : 03-16-2012 at 07:35:08 PM.
grzewnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05:49 PM   #4
cars4life
Veteran Member

^^^ that's excellent advice.^^^
cars4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00:07 AM   #5
Widowmaker01
Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered these from Summit and installed them a couple weeks ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7081GM/

I know a lot of people had problems with the Nova spring thing but mine put the car back to factory highth/stance just as I wanted. I assume they finally got it right.

edit: Btw,they were $220.85 delivered to my door.

Last edited by Widowmaker01 : 03-17-2012 at 09:04:07 AM.
Widowmaker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58:54 PM   #6
Mottley's79
Veteran Member

Thank you Widowmaker for answering the root of my question and thanks grzewnicki for giving me something to think about. I knew the great people on this forum would come through for me!
╚══════════╝
Mottley's79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:29:12 AM   #7
TAlou

Anyone tried these Summit, lowering springs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7081GM-2/

I've got two 2nd gen's and have hotchkiss coils and springs on one of them - just took that car to road atlanta and the kit worked great for that. It is pretty low for a street car, IMHO. And that is with 27" tires on front and 28" tires on the back.

Before messing with that car, my other 2nd gen needed new rear springs and I ordered "stock" Eaton springs for a 2nd gen and they are 4wd springs (too high) - I am looking to replace those and hotchkiss is okay, just $$$$. 430.00 or so for the springs. Those summit units (as was mentioned before) are like 210.00 or so for the pair and that is after the extra 8bucks for oversize.

PS...I just put Eibach coils on my non-Hotchkis car, they were 50 bucks less per set and "seem" just as nice as the Hotchkiss coils and about the same height.

Anyone use the Summit lowering leafs??
TAlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:37:01 PM   #8
indy camaro
Lifetime Gold Member

I got the Detriot Speed 3" lowering rear leafs from summit ... Bolted right in perfect ... And the stance is right on (for me anyway) $269.00 delivered . 500$ is outrageous !!
indy camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28:32 PM   #9
TAlou

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy camaro
I got the Detriot Speed 3" lowering rear leafs from summit ... Bolted right in perfect ... And the stance is right on (for me anyway) $269.00 delivered . 500$ is outrageous !!

Did you ever install these? I have to think that you got the Summit springs. DSE's cost more than 269shipped and I don't think Summit carries them.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-07-2012, 10:12:56 PM   #10
71flh
Veteran Member

Motley, were those installed prices? Its a bit of work to install springs... I see the US and Canadian $ are essentially even right now BTW.
71flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:25:07 PM   #11
spicewood1
BANNED

If it helps, leaf springs aren't voodoo. I didn't like the ride height of my 5 leafs so I removed the second shortest leaf. Sat a bit too low, so I de-arched that same leaf myself by just stomping on it! Now the car sits about 3/4" lower than original. It takes VERY little to change the static height on a leaf or a front coil for that matter.
spicewood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:52:03 AM   #12
71flh
Veteran Member

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing original ride height is pretty variable like the gloss on underhood paint.

I have old books that show the rear ride height pretty high compared to what people think is right now.

As a product of the late 70s, early 80s I think a car should sit up a bit in the back and down in the front. Or at least not look stupid with the radii (radiuses) of the fenders and tires looking idiotic.

I once worked with a moron who had cool low profile wheels and tires. I pointed out that 3 of 4 tires had serious sidewall damage (big blisters). He never thought to look at the tires.

Last edited by 71flh : 04-08-2012 at 01:59:31 AM.
71flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55:47 AM   #13
TAlou

I ordered the Global West lowering springs - 1 1/2 drops and not only was the expected delivery date slow...I just got a Summit notice in the mail that the expected delivery has been backed up two weeks, and I'll get another notice if it is longer than than.....sigh. Was looking at other options - as I might just cancel this order.

I've got a set of the Hotchkis springs on my other 2nd gen - they are great, but $$, And I don't need all the ubolts and extra's.

I can't tweak the original springs on this car (from pittsburg) as they came out in pieces/broken.