NastyZ28 Forum



Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20:23 PM   #1
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
 
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my wrench
Posts: 11,703
CPI injection, got links?

Looking for information on using the CPI injection system GM ran on the 95+ 5.7 trucks. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for info? Websites showing the conversions, harness modifications and/or system adaptability to run with a performance orientated engine? Really not a lot out there that Iíve found so just about any direction would be helpful.

I want to make sure itís a feasible swap before I start to gather the intake, harness etc.
Knuckle Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27:57 PM   #2
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
Looking for information on using the CPI injection system GM ran on the 95+ 5.7 trucks. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for info? Websites showing the conversions, harness modifications and/or system adaptability to run with a performance orientated engine? Really not a lot out there that Iíve found so just about any direction would be helpful.

I want to make sure itís a feasible swap before I start to gather the intake, harness etc.

This is some general information, no schematics.
http://www.chevythunder.com/gm_cpi_a...i_19922004.htm
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23:37 AM   #3
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
 
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my wrench
Posts: 11,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonards78LT
This is some general information, no schematics.
http://www.chevythunder.com/gm_cpi_a...i_19922004.htm

That was very helpful, thank you. I had forgot they used a cam and crank sensor. That's troublesome since i don't have the provisions for the crank sensor.
Knuckle Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:58:54 AM   #4
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
That was very helpful, thank you. I had forgot they used a cam and crank sensor. That's troublesome since i don't have the provisions for the crank sensor.

You can add the timing cover that was used on the 1996-99 Vortec engine, along with the crank sensor, and gear. It will require the use of a shorter snout balancer due the the thickness of the crank sensor gear, but it is doable.
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15:17 AM   #5
Fbird
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Fbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 1,764
are you sure you want to use that PITA system with poppet valve injectors?
You are refering to the same CPI that was on the 95 Jimmy/Blazer 4.3 pos vortec.

linder technologies.....IIRC did alot of work on those systems.
Fbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52:18 PM   #6
camaro75LT
Administrator
 
camaro75LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Masshole
Posts: 5,823
What's your goal with the spider injection system? There are a number of gm efi setups but that particular one has a multitude of issues.
__________________
The man formally known as "Baby Daddy"
camaro75LT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:20:21 PM   #7
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
The 1996 and later will be a better choice, as it has individual injectors, not just one "Maxi" injector used on the 1992-95 models.
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:05:39 PM   #8
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
 
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my wrench
Posts: 11,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonards78LT
The 1996 and later will be a better choice, as it has individual injectors, not just one "Maxi" injector used on the 1992-95 models.

It's my understanding they can all be upgraded to the individual injector deal. I'm not sure I want to deal with the crank sensor. Still not sure where I'm going with it.
Knuckle Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49:41 PM   #9
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
It's my understanding they can all be upgraded to the individual injector deal. I'm not sure I want to deal with the crank sensor. Still not sure where I'm going with it.


There is a improved kit for the 1996 and later which is sequentially injected, it will not work on the single injector type used on the 1992-95 models.
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50:57 PM   #10
arick793
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 825
Here's the kit I think he's talking about http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm
__________________
Project progress: http://nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140392
arick793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18:52 PM   #11
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
 
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my wrench
Posts: 11,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by arick793
Here's the kit I think he's talking about http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm

That's pretty cool, but I was thinking about the 96+ stuff Leonards78lt is talking about when I originally posted this thread. I didn't do a lot of work on the CPI stuff so my knowledge base is suspect regarding them.
Knuckle Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:39:22 PM   #12
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
That's pretty cool, but I was thinking about the 96+ stuff Leonards78lt is talking about when I originally posted this thread. I didn't do a lot of work on the CPI stuff so my knowledge base is suspect regarding them.


The link to the upgrade kit is what I was talking about, unless you are happy with the stock spider set up (should be called a "bug" since it has 6 "legs").
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59:11 PM   #13
Knuckle Dragger
SoCal Team Mom for Life / Moderator
 
Knuckle Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finding my wrench
Posts: 11,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonards78LT
The link to the upgrade kit is what I was talking about, unless you are happy with the stock spider set up (should be called a "bug" since it has 6 "legs").

Didn't GM come out with a replacement part that has one injector per leg but it was all contained in the "body"

My hang up right now is opening the engine up to make the changes for the crank sensor. I was really wanting something where I could just change the induction system and go injection. TBI was my choice since it really doesn't change the overall look as much. But it just won't support much over stock HP. Not that I have a power house with an estimated 350hp. I thought maybe CPI but that's not looking like it's worth the work.
Knuckle Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29:47 AM   #14
Leonards78LT
Lifetime Gold Member
 
Leonards78LT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
Didn't GM come out with a replacement part that has one injector per leg but it was all contained in the "body"

My hang up right now is opening the engine up to make the changes for the crank sensor. I was really wanting something where I could just change the induction system and go injection. TBI was my choice since it really doesn't change the overall look as much. But it just won't support much over stock HP. Not that I have a power house with an estimated 350hp. I thought maybe CPI but that's not looking like it's worth the work.


This is the link to gmpartsdirect:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ber=PK93441235

I dont know why the picture is of a 6 cylinder set up.
__________________
My toy since June 1983: 1978 Camaro Type LT: Iron block LS6, 2004R, 3.42 posi. Boulevard Bruiser, Hi-Way Cruiser
http://www.chevythunder.com/my_1978_camaro_type_lt.htm

Wife's toy since April '78- 1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V #'s match.
http://www.chevythunder.com/1973%20F...ang%201999.jpg

DD's
2001 Buick Century "cream puff"
2006 Silverado ext. 5.3L L59
Leonards78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27:35 AM   #15
RS1970
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 500
If you want a easy "bolt on and drive away" EFI system take a look at the new one from MSD or the EZ EFI from FAST. Both are really straight forward. Simple to install and don't require any internal modifications (or even removing the intake). And as a bonus, no configuring junk yard parts to fit your car. By the time you piece together a junkyard system, modify your fuel system, source all the parts, get it installed, tuned and running. You could spend just a bit more and have a far superior setup in a fraction of the time with zero tuning. It's all plug and play. If you have everything you need on hand, its a one day install.

Oh yeah, and it will support a lot more power down the road and tune itself as you make changes.
RS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Copyright © 1997 - 2014 NastyZ28.com Inc.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.