NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49:22 PM   #16
newschool72
Veteran Member

Because you have more time , in real world driving, on your EZ system, I am trying to see if I have anything to worry about with my set-up. Thanks, David
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25:17 AM   #17
sbca96
Veteran Member

Here is how I installed the Spectra 1973 tank in a 1978 Camaro.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221572

Tom
sbca96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14:52 PM   #18
Shupe
Veteran Member

Either get your pump in the tank or invest in AAA for the tows you're going to need.
Guys these are VANE pumps and are flooded suction. Most were never intended to draw fuel and pump it as well. Years ago people used the Ford booster pumps and they will work for a little while but will eventually kill themselves from the heat that they generate.
Just my o2 spend a little more and buy a Ricks tank,turn the key and ride off in the sunset with no issues.
2002 SS sunset orange 23K
2007 Z06
Shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17:16 AM   #19
newschool72
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupe
Either get your pump in the tank or invest in AAA for the tows you're going to need.
Guys these are VANE pumps and are flooded suction. Most were never intended to draw fuel and pump it as well. Years ago people used the Ford booster pumps and they will work for a little while but will eventually kill themselves from the heat that they generate.
Just my o2 spend a little more and buy a Ricks tank,turn the key and ride off in the sunset with no issues.
Are you talking about the external pump that comes with Fast EZ EFI ? Please clarify . Thanks

68 camaro, 406, th350, 4.10s. Old schoolin hotrod. 11.30 at 120 on dragrads, pumpgas, footbraken.

I prefer the simplistic life of telling the truth. Besides Im not smart enough to remember what I said, if I tell a lie. That being said, if the truth is going to hurt your feelings, please don't ask the question.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:09:20 PM   #20
sbca96
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupe

Spectra is an intank pump. Pretty quiet too.

Tom
sbca96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07:41 AM   #21
RS1970
Veteran Member

If you run a EFI application you need a few things dialed in. One for a LS fuel system you need a lot of pressure. The best setup is the Corvette swap or aftermarket equivalents. You also need the pickup fully submerged ALWAYS to maintain constant draw. If you run a fast ez EFI, external pump, you still need the recommended pressure and pickup submerged. And it has to be mounted (the pump) as close to the tank as possible. Below the lowest fuel level.
These external EFI pumps are "pushers" meaning they don't draw much. They are built to push the fuel. Use the right type pump. A good EFI style regulator. The correct sized lines and fittings. Make sure the pump has full voltage required at ALL times.

The spectra tanks work great as part of a complete system. You can't just toss in a tank, wire in a pump any ol place and have good results.

If you have a sump in the tank, enough regulated pressure at all times, correct sized feed and return lines (if return is needed based on your system) , and enough power to the pump at all times then it works. And should work very well.

There are many systems in use with external pumps working flawlessly with sbc, BBC, and ls Imotors from stock to monster power levels.
The fuel system is just that, a SYSTEM. Just like heads, cam and intake. All the parts have to work together.

I don't know how your system is set up but clearly something is wrong.
Check your sump. Make sure the pickup is in correctly. Check your pumps actual output. Not rated, actual. Get a bucket, time it while filling, do the math to figure gallons per hour. Check the voltage to the pump at the pump. Check all fittings and line for correct sizing. If the pump is external, check location. Get it close to the tank, below fuel level.
Make sure your fuel pressure is properly regulated.
All of the math is available on line for line sizes, fitting sizes, supply and return line both. If I was there I might be able to help more. I hope something in my ramblings here does help. Please keep us posted. Good luck.
RS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21:17 AM   #22
newschool72
Veteran Member

I cant speak for ZedZed, but i set mine up per the instructions that came in the Kit for the EZ EFI. All lines , the pump, fuel reg, relays etc,etc. I located the pump as close and as low as possible to the tank. With ZedZeds background , im sure he did the same.
Its like ZedZed said , using a 40 yr old carb style pick-up may lead to problems in certain situations.
I honestly think a sump in the factory tank would be the best fix IF I want to stay with an external pump, but ive really not had any issues with mine.
I only have about 100 mls on my car sense a ground up complete rebuild, so i havent REALLY tested anything on the car. ZedZed has, so that was my question to him.

68 camaro, 406, th350, 4.10s. Old schoolin hotrod. 11.30 at 120 on dragrads, pumpgas, footbraken.

I prefer the simplistic life of telling the truth. Besides Im not smart enough to remember what I said, if I tell a lie. That being said, if the truth is going to hurt your feelings, please don't ask the question.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:51:19 PM   #23
RS1970
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newschool72
I cant speak for ZedZed, but i set mine up per the instructions that came in the Kit for the EZ EFI. All lines , the pump, fuel reg, relays etc,etc. I located the pump as close and as low as possible to the tank. With ZedZeds background , im sure he did the same.
Its like ZedZed said , using a 40 yr old carb style pick-up may lead to problems in certain situations.
I honestly think a sump in the factory tank would be the best fix IF I want to stay with an external pump, but ive really not had any issues with mine.
I only have about 100 mls on my car sense a ground up complete rebuild, so i havent REALLY tested anything on the car. ZedZed has, so that was my question to him.
Ok got it. .
I've seen several "botched" installs that didn't follow directions too well. That always leads to troubles. With any EFI set up you don't want to run at the minimum fuel levels, but you should still be able to operate right up to empty without any problems. I'm glad yours is working out. I hope mine does! LOL.

I'll be modifying a new stock tank. Small sump, external pump, ls motor with a factory ls1 intake and fuel system. I'll be installing the pump right in front of the tank with a pre filter (reusable), AN fittings, stainless lines, regulator at the intake with another filter (smaller particle filtering than the pre filter before the regulator). The pump will be direct wired for full voltage with a separate on/off toggle. I'll use the factory feed line as a return line just for ease of install and cost savings.

Last edited by RS1970 : 02-24-2012 at 02:57:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02:48 PM   #24
RS1970
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzed
I am considering installing the above tank into my '71. I am using an EZ-EFI system that uses the external pump provided in that kit. It works fine if the tank is more than half full, but stumbles from fuel starvation when the tank is less than half filled. It appears the fuel pump provided in the Spectra tank is inadequate for the EZ-EFI system. If so, is there a replacement pump that will work with minimal modifications?
Are you running a vented cap? Stock fuel lines? Stock /original style pick up? And where is your external pump installed right now? In relation to the tank, higher than the bottom of the tank? How much fuel line between the tank and pump?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48:42 PM   #25
zedzed
Veteran Member

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. My car runs fine as is. The only minor nuisance is a hesitation when the tank is low on fuel. This is understandable due to the design of the original style tank. I am not trying to "fix" a nonexistent problem. The main thrust of my question was if anybody has installed a Spectra EFI fuel tank, changed the pump that came with the tank, and, if so, what pump was used. I appreciate all your replies, but I think my answer will come if I buy the tank and change the pump to an Aeromotive 11142 and find out if the sizing of the Aeromotive pump is small enough to fit. If I decide to do that, I will give you all the information I have on the installation.
zedzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23:51 PM   #26
newschool72
Veteran Member

Just so everyone knows, the 72-73 tank lends it self well for an external pump EFI syestem. The evaporative system on the tank gives all the ports and inlets to do it.
On mine , I used the original pick-up for a feed line. Im not sure what it was for, but i used the other large(3/8) line for a return. It has a steel tube that runs back to the filler neck( plenty far enough from the feed line to avoid ariation). The other two lines (5/16) for venting. I ran rubber tubing from those lines back next to the filler neck. It works great , so far .

Old 10-10-2012, 04:15:54 PM   #27
gpintauro
Veteran Member

bringing this old one back up....BUT does anybody know if you can run this tank w/ the internal fuel pump on a carb application? I would be using w/a carb regulator and a return line.
Any info appreciated.
73 Camaro...355, FAST EZ EFI, 700R4, 3:73's, Vintage Air....Driver....
gpintauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36:50 PM   #28
Protour-Camaro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpintauro
bringing this old one back up....BUT does anybody know if you can run this tank w/ the internal fuel pump on a carb application? I would be using w/a carb regulator and a return line.
Any info appreciated.

I wouldnt bother...With a carb set-up, a FI tank is spending $$ you dont need to.
Protour-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34:40 PM   #29
gpintauro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protour-Camaro
I wouldnt bother...With a carb set-up, a FI tank is spending $$ you dont need to.
I plan on going FI next winter, trying to plan ahead.
73 Camaro...355, FAST EZ EFI, 700R4, 3:73's, Vintage Air....Driver....
gpintauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals