NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Camaro Questions > 1978 - 1981 Specific
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2012, 03:57:43 AM   #31
5spd540
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJuke
so i removed the A/C dash area...look what they did...idiots!!!

Well that par for the course on a old car
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18:56 AM   #32
COPO
Lifetime Gold Member

You should snap this up http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-81-Cama...item27c1c33bb8

Qjet rebuilt etc http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/qjet.zip
The angle of the tangle X's the heat of the meat = the mass of the ASS.
COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54:07 AM   #33
Rich_NEPA
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Rich...do we have the same car minus the rear deffoger? i checked out your link and pics that looks sweet!!!!

more pics coming soon took a lot tonight!!!

Hey Karl,

Yep - looks like we have the same There are a few blue/white 79's on here...Serpent710 in FL has a sharp one, and a couple more that I don't know the names of but are all impressive in one way or another.

Thanks for the compliment - much appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich_nepa/sets/
Rich_NEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12:20 PM   #34
JerryJuke

so took some pictures...what do you guys think about this area...looks like some rust some pointers on what i should do would be great...

JerryJuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20:46 PM   #35
JerryJuke

more requested pics...

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25:47 PM   #36
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Location: Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of California
Quote:
In the last week i have read more about camero's and restoration ideas than i have read about any subject in my life. I am hooked and my friends who have "cars" have said to me over the last ...blah blah blah...

Sacrilege!
Ban him!!!!

j/k nice car, you found the #1 place to get the info you seek regarding the second gen Camaro.

Yer car is worth more because of the history it holds for you.

I would have a GOOD body shop guy take a look at whats going on at the lower edge of the rear glass, could be the tip of the iceberg and needs to be dealt with sooner than later.
*This post is a general statement about no one in particular and therefore should not offend anyone. If this statement offends you it's because you have: low self esteem, a guilty conscious or are otherwise overly offendable (if that's a word).
Marks71BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28:51 PM   #37
JerryJuke

original spare tire

pics of the inside...

any ideas on the hanging headliner...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45:30 AM   #38
5spd540
Lifetime Gold Member

Headliner recover it
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 02-27-2012, 12:53:31 AM   #39
JerryJuke

Update

This weekend we didn't have a lot of free time but did manage to get the registration process started. Should be done by Tuesday. Then off to smog next weekend I hope. I did siphone the 6 year old gas out of the tank, and put in 5 gallons of premium in it. Then ran it about 5 miles around the neighborhood. When I checked the oil in it, it looked new and clean after the short run it was dirty. The Z hasn't seen the road in probably 6 years or so. I went and bought some oil, new fuel and oil filters. Someone suggested removing the oil pan itself since its sat so long. Is that necessary? Or should I just change the oil run it 100 miles or so and change it again? After I get the temporary registration should I get the radiator flushed? Brake fluid changed? Any other suggestions to get the engine back up to weekend driving ready?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32:54 AM   #40
ls777z
Veteran Member

Drop the oil pan ? No. Drive it a week and see what it looks like. If extremely dirty change it along with a new filter. If not drive another week. Repeat. If it stays fairly clean you should be all set. Can't hurt to change the coolant and brake fluid, it's cheap insurance. You might want to be cautious the first few times you drive it and make short trips in your area. Thermostats have been known to seize up from sitting. If you have the time you might want to consider to change it out. When your car gets inspected that should let you know if there are any safety concerns.

Last edited by ls777z : 02-27-2012 at 07:06:02 AM.
ls777z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47:35 AM   #41
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls777z
Drop the oil pan ? No. Drive it a week and see what it looks like. If extremely dirty change it along with a new filter. If not drive another week. Repeat. If it stays fairly clean you should be all set. Can't hurt to change the coolant and brake fluid, it's cheap insurance. You might want to be cautious the first few times you drive it and make short trips in your area. Thermostats have been known to seize up from sitting. If you have the time you might want to consider to change it out. When your car gets inspected that should let you know if there are any safety concerns.

^^THIS!!!
the only thing I would do to it is re-glue the original headliner material back in place.

Damned nice car just the way it is.

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.
K5JMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40:59 AM   #42
Millz90
Veteran Member

Nice car Jerry!

What type of glue would you use to glue the headliner? I need to do mine as well!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06:09 PM   #43
JerryJuke

Got the temp. Registration today off to smog This weekend...cant wait to be legal!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35:29 AM   #44
built2layframe

nice car bud.
built2layframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15:51 PM   #45
2000SS

I'd say your headliner is shot. There is a foam backer that has deteriorated. If you try to glue it, the glue will come through the holes and you will have a big mess. ETA: Looking back at your pictures, looks like what someone tried to do around edges.

Take out all the trim around it and remove the light then you can pull the whole thing out of the car to recover it. Pull off the old material and clean up the cardboard. Some sandpaper and an air compressor works great. You need to get all the dried up foam off. Then glue on your new headliner.

You can buy the original along with glue that won't eat up the foam from places like Year One. I think the material is something like $80.

I've covered a few in my time but didn't want to spend that kind of money on material. I always take a piece of my interior into a fabric store to match color. I'm sure you can get vinyl's and such but I get the fuzzy stuff. More like modern cars have. Then use a can of 3M type adhesive to glue it down.

Tip on gluing. Spray the cardboard and the liner. Wait till their tacky to the touch. Get yourself a bunch of "lay sticks". Use whatever you have. I have a stack of thin strips of wood. 3/4 pine cut into about 1/4" strips. Space those out over the cardboard after its tacky then lay your cover over them. Now you can move it around to get it lined up without it sticking in the wrong place. If you try to freehand this and your off, your screwed. Once lined up pull the middle stick and work your way out to the outer edges. Pull a stick, roll material flat, repeat. Then trim edges with a sharp blade.

Last edited by 2000SS : 03-12-2012 at 04:19:41 PM.
2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote