NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44:01 AM   #1
burley

FAST EZ EFI vs MSD ATOMIC EFI

Has any one used the MSD ATOMIC EFI? Thinking of doing either of these two on my 383. Looking for some feed back and any first hand thoughts.
burley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33:19 AM   #2
newschool72
Veteran Member

Havent done the MSD, but im running the FAST EZ on my LS3 and love it ! Only thing I dont like is not being able to use a power adder. Really never intend to on this car, but never know when the bug might hit you.
newschool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50:16 AM   #3
zedzed
Veteran Member

I also have the EZ-EFI, and I have no regrets over the purchase. If I were making a decision today, the MSD system might have the edge. The assembly is less complicated, taking less time to install, and I really like the idea of the pulse modulated fuel pump, with no fuel return needed. The only question might be if the realiability of a brand new system. It will probably be fine, but the EZ-EFI has been available for a few years, and their record for dependability is known.
zedzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02:21 PM   #4
burley

Thanks for the input. I was wanting to maybe add a small nitrous sytem but its not a deal breaker. What type of power do both of you think you are putting out?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03:40 PM   #5
CorkyE
Lifetime Gold Member

Waiting on a comparative test myself, thinking about going the electronic way in a year or so.

79 Z28 bought new, honeymoon ride same year, still have same wife, same car.
CorkyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 01-25-2012, 12:15:36 PM   #6
burley

Also newschool and zedzed are you using an in tank fuel pump? Any issues with hesitation with a low fuel level conditions? How about your ignition systems? MSD boxes or what type of distributers. Any electric fans? Thanks for help.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43:55 PM   #7
newschool72
Veteran Member

iam using the inline fuel pump kit that comes with the deluxe EZ kit and have had no problems. my pick up is right on the bottom of the tank. To be safe, i get gas when i get to about 1/4 tank.
Im running an LS motor, so im using the MSD 6012 box for ignition. Im using the fan and AC idle-up feature on the FAST system and it works flawlessly.
On paper my LS3 should be in the 540ish range on hp. The system is good to around 600-650 hp if you up the fuel pressure from 43psi to 60psi. At my HP level there is no need to.If you have anymore questions , feel free to ask. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57:00 PM   #8
zedzed
Veteran Member

I'm also using the fuel pump that came with kit, and using the HEI distributor that came with the ZZ502 that resides in the engine bay. You need a clean signal from the ignition system for best performance, so I added the Steetfire ignition from MSD to meet that goal.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45:50 PM   #9
newschool72
Veteran Member

Zedzed, did i see your car in a magazine a couple years ago, or does it just look exactly like it. Clue: Do you work at a BMW dealership?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46:46 PM   #10
zedzed
Veteran Member

You are correct,sir. I worked for BMW for thirty-four years, nine as a technician, and twenty-five as a parts manager. The issue you are refering to is the September 2007 of Camaro Performers magazine. It is too bad all nastyZ28'ers can't meet Nick Licata, the editor. What a great guy. And, thanks for remembering.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10:56 PM   #11
newschool72
Veteran Member

Damn! I knew it. Pardon my french, But you almost made me paint my car green. Very nice ride! One question. Why a big block, if looking for a all around performer? Just something i wondered when i read the article.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42:18 PM   #12
zedzed
Veteran Member

Just love that big block, big inch torque. With aluminum cylinder heads and the battery in the trunk, the front weight distribution is close to a small block setup. And with the Fast EZ-EFI, it is very tractable to drive anywhere,anytime. But......if I were to start today, it would be an LS variant.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15:05 AM   #13
newschool72
Veteran Member

Thats cool. Hard to beat that big block torque. As far as the LS thing goes, I am sold on them completely . My near stock LS3 makes fantastic power in a very light weight package. Idles near stock with 15+" of vacuum and still makes well over 500HP and around 470FPT all from only 376 cubes. I also put my battery in the trunk and am looking forward to seeing where my front to rear % is. I know the car handles great and feels very light and balanced.My biggest regret is going with the auto(2004r). I did that so my wife would drive it some. She is only 5' tall and has trouble with stick cars. I really would have liked t56 orTKO600. Oh well, it is what it is. OP , sorry about the highjack. Anyone used the atomic system?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35:48 PM   #14
Zee
Veteran Member

I have been considering both as well. Depends what goes on at work if I end up going for either. I have a neighbor that has FAST EZ on his 70 501ci Dart. He claims 600hp. It has Indy heads, hyd roller cam and fenderwell headers so I have no reason to doubt that claim. The car is way more docile than my car is but is much faster. Doesn't smell like gas and it absolutely seemless in acceleration. It would be hard to imagine the MSD system being materially better from a performance standpoint. Comparing the two systems, MSD would be an easier install and offers some type of ignition control although I have reservations about the effectiveness of the spark part as they really don't highlight it in any of their advertising. Maybe they still wanna sell distributors??? Cons are that I really don't care to have electronics mounted to the engine, subjected to serious vibration and heat. I don't see that MSD makes replacement parts readily available like FAST does and IMO, the guy providing technical support on the MSD site is a joke. I had to post three times to get a straight answer on the vacuum ports. Finally, the FAST system sprays the injectors below the throttle plates while MSD would still have the wet flow issues a well tuned annular discharge carb would have. As such, FAST may have a performance advantage on those applications that cannot use a carb spacer due to hood clearance. Looking at the controllers, I think FAST has the better controller as well although MSD has dual fan control. Tough choice but I am leaning toward FAST. If I did not have a distributor and ignition box already, I might feel differently but that's my take on the two systems.

FAST also makes a new multiport system for the SBC/BBC. It comes with a manifold, injectors etc. If I had either engine, that would be a no brainer for me. http://www.compperformancegroupstore...stemEZIEFIKits

Last edited by Zee : 02-02-2012 at 11:59:16 PM.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:47:34 PM   #15
burley

Another member here has the fast xfi with a similar combination to mine and he is really happy with it. A friend of his set it up and he happens to be an engineer at FAST. I have corresponded with him (the engineer at FAST) and he has decided that I would be very happy with the FAST EZ set up. I have a 383 with a Comp Cams .502/.510 roller and flat top pistons. I have just order a set of heads from Chad Speier. Iam going with an Air Gap intake. This combination should get me about 475 streetable hp. With this system I cant have any power adder but I think this should be plenty of power for a street cruiser/weekend warrior. The engineer at Fast said that this is an easy no hassle setup. And thats what I want. Iam not really a wiz on the computer so the fact I dont have to do any real tuning with a laptop is probably a plus for me.