NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2012, 08:36:56 PM   #1
JasonZE
Veteran Member

MSD street fire hei and roller cam (gear)

can i run the hei with a roller cam i hear about melanised gears etc but dont see any mention on msd instructions or webite so do they have the good gear already?
Just getting parts sent from us for rebuild and want to get everything i need so i dont double up on shipping.
On a side note I think the new gm 383 blocks are good buying for under $900 factory roller 4 bolt 1 piece clearanced for 3.75 stroke I have 1 coming from SD parts with roller lifters,spider and dog bones etc No more flat tappet for me thank goodness
JasonZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:00:31 PM   #2
wild84
Veteran Member

Depend's if it needs a bronze gear. I have run both a standard gear, and a bronze gear on my msd hei dizzy. If your cam requires a bronze gear, pop the roll pin out, put the new gear on, and put the roll pin back in.
9.22@148
wild84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36:49 AM   #3
CorkyE
Lifetime Gold Member

The cam manufacturer can tell you if you need to run any type of special distributor gear or fuel pump rod. My Howards roller cam uses all stock stuff.

79 Z28 bought new, honeymoon ride same year, still have same wife, same car.
CorkyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59:14 AM   #4
ProStreet383
Veteran Member

Is the cam austempered steel or billet? Does the came have a press on gear or machined? If the cam is austemepered and does not have a pressed on iron gear then you need a melonized gear for the dizzy. If it is billet and does not have a pressed on iron gear then you need either a bronze gear (which I would not recommend on a street car because they wear out FAST) or the composite gear sold by comp cams (much better gear than bronze).
1976 mini tubbed, 8 point roll bar, kirkey pro street seats and 5 point harness, 385 with cola crank, Scat pro comp 6" rods, probe pistons at 10.83:1 compression, Custom bullet solid roller cam, brodix dragon slayer heads, victor jr topped with Pro-Systems 950.
ProStreet383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals