ProTouring Fbody - Race inspire suspension

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Classifieds, Sponsors & Vendors > Pro-Touring F-Body
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Swap Meet Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41:24 AM   #31
phbmd
Veteran Member

I figured the non-ajustable braces matched the correct f-body dimensions, so if your car is straight they should fit with no problem. Of course, that doesn't explain why there are adjustable braces.

Last edited by phbmd : 01-26-2012 at 07:31:51 AM.
phbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35:38 PM   #32
Todd80Z28
L. G. M. / Moderator

I've got PTFB solid bushings and subframe connectors now. The car tightened up pretty good with just those two items. I have the G-Braces, but not installed yet. If it gets even stiffer, that will be great! Theoretically it should, of course, but I'm not dissatisfied with the way the car feels now (I was before the bushings and SFCs).
Todd80Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50:33 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
LGM, Admin

Guys, this is a NastyZ28 sponsor sub forum. At least show enough respect not to discuss knocking off his stuff in his forum.

edit: I deleted the posts in question in this thread.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NJ Camaros and Firebirds

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Bricka bracka firecrakcer shish boom bah, bugs bunny, bugs bunny, rah rah rah!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Last edited by BonzoHansen : 01-14-2012 at 09:59:03 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56:50 PM   #34
BonzoHansen
LGM, Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phbmd
I figured the non-ajustable braces matched the correct f-body dimensions, so if your car is straight they fit with no problem. Of course, that doesn't explain why there are adjustable braces.
because these are 30-40 year old cars with varying tolerances, both from manufacturing intended leeway and wear. These cars are not 2011 Camaros where everything is much tighter and new.

I have an 81Z in the driveway with a visibly bent subframe and yet has straight sheet metal. My 77Z is in a similar state but the subframe issue is not as pronounced, at least visibly. In my 77, Dave's 1st design fit the LH side perfect, but the RH side had issues around the AC box and general fit. After discussion with Dave he thought because the original prototype was on a firebird. The next design fit the RH side much better. However the frame issues cause me more trouble so I traded up for the adjustable ones, which I have had no time to install yet.

So IMO that is why the adjustable ones exist. I'd also guess that is why DSE has not bothered making ones because of the tolerance issues and the resultant service issues.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NJ Camaros and Firebirds

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Bricka bracka firecrakcer shish boom bah, bugs bunny, bugs bunny, rah rah rah!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17:27 PM   #35
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
Guys, this is a NastyZ28 sponsor sub forum. At least show enough respect not to discuss knocking off his stuff in his forum.
LOL... See what I mean

ETA. I will add that they make a VERY noticeable difference in handling.

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.

Last edited by K5JMP : 01-14-2012 at 09:29:42 PM.
K5JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57:10 PM   #36
SHANE 73Z
Lifetime Gold Member

For a seat of the pants difference, I believe this is the most notable thing I have done. Even more so than welded SFC and solid bushings.

Now to take further advantage...

Todd, Scott get on it!

Maybe it will see an Auto-X someday
SHANE 73Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57:31 PM   #37
david.carlton@s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen

It's been a good exchange. I'm ready to try a pair of the adjustable ones if they are in stock and ready to ship and they'll take them back if they don't clear my brake master cylinder and booster.
david.carlton@s is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56:02 PM   #38
kenny77
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.carlton@s
It's been a good exchange. I'm ready to try a pair of the adjustable ones if they are in stock and ready to ship and they'll take them back if they don't clear my brake master cylinder and booster.

I wish they had the adjustable ones when I bought mine. I want to say that Dave told me they were on Pontiac F-bodys first. My pass side one I cut and welded the outer tab to re-position it.

I think that looking at the new adjustable ones he has...they seem to be a little more stout looking.

You can't go wrong with them, this is a no brainer mod as far as I'm concerned. Anyone that says different....well...they just don't have them on their car..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Ken
kenny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32:40 AM   #39
dale68z
Veteran Member

Orange71 said exactly what I say about adjustable g braces from PTFB. I added them and my steering was "quicker and more precise" . My 71 has a large power brake booster and factory air. They fit perfectly.

Yes, I auto cross, and run road course track days with my car. Tomorrow we run scca, and next week we run a road coures with pro auto sports.

Having just g braces as an addition to your car will put you in esm, or for a better pax, cp. So, the scca must think they are a huge benefit.
dale68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38:47 AM   #40
david.carlton@s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale68z
Orange71 said exactly what I say about adjustable g braces from PTFB. I added them and my steering was "quicker and more precise" . My 71 has a large power brake booster and factory air. They fit perfectly.

Yes, I auto cross, and run road course track days with my car. Tomorrow we run scca, and next week we run a road coures with pro auto sports.

Having just g braces as an addition to your car will put you in esm, or for a better pax, cp. So, the scca must think they are a huge benefit.

Wonder if they'll clear the dual 9" aftermarket boosters and master cylinders? They stick out farther from the firewall.
david.carlton@s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59:55 AM   #41
Jason7504
Gold Member

i really wanted to get some of the adjustable g-braces but dave said they wouldn't clear my BBC with tall valve covers and small block motor mounts. sucks because after the posts on here i really wanted them to go along with my welded frame connectors and solid bushings
1981 Camaro: LS3 (530HP), custom cam, 1-7/8" headers, pypes 3" exhaust, EA stage II billet 200-4R,3.31 posi 12 bolt, 18" forged Pro Boost Wheels, 1.25" front/3/4" rear sway bars, SFC's/Solid body bushings, PTFB GT springs/shocks, tubular UCA, 2G bar, g-braces, C5 brakes, Dakota VHX gauges
Jason7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:05:37 PM   #42
Aceshigh
Pimp Micktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny77
Sorry ACE but you're wrong. Even on the street you will notice a huge difference. Trust me . Stop blowing it out your butt and check this..LOL....

Quote:
I have new subframe bushings and subframe connectors and those really didn't make a huge difference in the way the car drove. I used Hotchkiss subframe connectors. Not a big PTFB fan.

When I put the G braces on it was an instant improvement...let me tell you. NOTHING I have done to the car made as big of a difference in the way the car drove...handled..went over bumps..how much flatter and even the car cornerned. The car going straight down the road even seems to respond better to the road as far as steering and ride goes too.

Drivers side went in no problem.the pass side fought me hard. Had to cut and weld one of the ends to get it to bolt up, but no big deal. This was before the adjustable ones were offered BTW.

Alright, you convinced me to try em out.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59:36 PM   #43
sovain
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7504
i really wanted to get some of the adjustable g-braces but dave said they wouldn't clear my BBC with tall valve covers and small block motor mounts. sucks because after the posts on here i really wanted them to go along with my welded frame connectors and solid bushings
check out Throttle`s ride in progress thread,may help you.
sovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:12:52 PM   #44
Jason7504
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovain
check out Throttle`s ride in progress thread,may help you.

yeah i checked that out but he modified them with some fab work which i don't have the skill or tools for that lol
wonder if i can have a custom set made..
1981 Camaro: LS3 (530HP), custom cam, 1-7/8" headers, pypes 3" exhaust, EA stage II billet 200-4R,3.31 posi 12 bolt, 18" forged Pro Boost Wheels, 1.25" front/3/4" rear sway bars, SFC's/Solid body bushings, PTFB GT springs/shocks, tubular UCA, 2G bar, g-braces, C5 brakes, Dakota VHX gauges

Last edited by Jason7504 : 01-15-2012 at 06:23:27 PM.
Jason7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27:03 AM   #45
wardracing
Veteran Member

i have also heard you can benefit from the adjustable g braces because you can preload them.
wardracing is offline   Reply With Quote