NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General & Off-Topic Topics > Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43:57 PM   #1
DENALI
Veteran Member

Who here is serious about chinese food?

Anyhow i really know nothing about chinese food and i love the stuff. I like mongolian beef, general tsoes(sp) chicken, sweet sour anything, basically about any of it. I have tried a couple recipies online and they have sucked. So looking for real car guys inputs on recipies. Thanks

There's Room For All Of God's Creatures!!! Right Next To The Mashed Potatoes!!!

(OO___Z28___OO)

Home of Project LIME/Z
http://akita.net/junk/well1.jpg

,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
DENALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53:20 PM   #2
harbone66
Lifetime Gold Member

I have never had any luck trying to cook my own Chinese food, always ends up mushy and bland. I have learned just to buy that favorite from the source

As close to "Normal" as you can get in the state of Illinois...

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
2013 Kia Sportage SX Turbo
2003 Dodge Durango 4x4
1993 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
2005 Polaris Sportsman 700
harbone66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:56:05 PM   #3
Z-WIZZ
Veteran Member

there are several places around here (incl. buffets) but only one place has a decent eggroll
'70 Z 4sp
jeff
Z-WIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05:57 PM   #4
BB72R-Yes
Veteran Member

I love me some good Chinese food. Pork Lo Mein is probably my favorite. Then Beef fried rice, steak teriyaki and crab rangoons. I miss the Chinese food back home in the NorthEast. It was so much better than this crap they call Chinese in the South.
BB72R-Yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22:02 AM   #5
twozs
Veteran Member

i know you get on the phone and give them a few numbers and the order is never wrong ! seafood "happy family" or any tso or sesame chicken . fried dumplings , fried won tons , shrimp lo mien , shrimp toast . come on they stopped delivering at midnight , ya got me going . its the "seasoned" wok that gives it that flavor ( oh yea , and tons of MSG and grease)

Last edited by twozs : 01-07-2012 at 12:30:50 AM.
twozs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:12:24 AM   #6
FreedomPenguin
LordPenguin

only chinese food i would even enjoy trying to make would be mongolion beef. that stuff is AWESOME.
FreedomPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:48:26 AM   #7
Kasey74
Lifetime Gold Member

Ginger beef, Eggrolls, and Fried Rice...awesome
Vietnamese is wicked too
...tried makin it at home, but never turns out
as good as the restaurants
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13:31 AM   #8
Z28PILOT
Lifetime Gold Member

You can't make it as cheap as most Asian joints sell it, its dirt cheap arounf here for a meal, just hunt down a decent place , they are everywhere.
Z28PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27:00 AM   #9
FreedomPenguin
LordPenguin

we have a place called ding how- its a mongolion bbq place, they have a nice set up, you get what you want, etc, they throw it on a huge circle grill and stir it with huge sticks, pretty neat. SO GOOD. OMG. delicious
FreedomPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46:19 AM   #10
jdove
Lifetime Gold Member

Every time I try making it, it SUCKS...Except for egg drop soup...

Whatever you do, do it with intelligence, and keep the end in view."

-- Thomas à Kempis,
Dutch religious scholar
jdove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16:34 PM   #11
DENALI
Veteran Member

I have been able to manage the sweet and sour with great success. I went to one chinese place a couple years ago and they had a sweet and sour sauce that had pineapple chunks in it. It was the best i had ever tasted and way out classes the normal "plain" sweet and sour sauces at most raunts. I found this recipe online after trying several. The only thing i do different is use one tablespoon of soy sauce in it as two over powers it. It is the best recipe i have found.

ETA i also just use the pineapple juice out of the second can and i dont add the tidbits as thats a bit to many chunks.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple...r-sauce-200031

There's Room For All Of God's Creatures!!! Right Next To The Mashed Potatoes!!!

(OO___Z28___OO)

Home of Project LIME/Z
http://akita.net/junk/well1.jpg

,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
DENALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17:33 PM   #12
Kamikaze
Lifetime Gold Member

Okay, if you can handle a few tips from a Jap, then I give you guys a few pointers in stir fry cooking.

First off, the key to cooking stir fry is to have a good seasoned fry pan or wok and not use a lot of oil! Teflon or any other coated pans will not work! Stainless steel, copper and even cast iron can work, but make sure the surface is smooth and clean!

The other key is to make sure you use the right oil for high temp cooking and only a tablespoon is about all you need for effective stir fry.

Oils and seasonings are a key factor to the flavors. Some key items in Chinese cooking are the spices and flavors blending together. Oyester sauce, Chinese Five spices, Seasame oil, chili oil, Kung Pow sauce, and off course soy sauce are some basic ingredients.

The primary and most time consuming process is the prep of the ingredients. Fresh vegetables cut on the bias, and a good mixture of all colors is a factor. Carrots, Onions, green onions, celerey, tomatoes, cabbage and water chestnuts are good basics.

Some of the protein's are precooked depending on the entree. The selection can be as wide and varied as you like since the flavors are in the final cooking and the sauces. Seafoods and some fowl are very sensitive to seasonings and you need to start conservative until you find the right balance of flavors.

In many cases, the dishes you mentioned are mostly "americanized" Chinese entrees. General Tso's can be chicken, pork or beef. But the way it's prepared is different in many areas. Some like the version which is similar to the way Organ Chicken is done. A pre-fried meat that is added to the stir fry just before finishing with the sauce.

Once you have prepared everything, organization is the key. Keep your items situation in order and it will make things easier to cook so you won't been searching for them while your food overcooks.

Starting with a hot pan, (oil just beginning to smoke), quickly cook your proteins and keep stirring them to prevent from sticking to the pan. Then add your vegetables and dry ingredients. keep turning them to prevent over cooking and then just before the turn color or get translucent, gradually add your sauces and flavorings to coat. This is where it can go mushy if you add too much so be conservative on the sauces and don't cover the pan!

As soon as everything is lightly coated, transfer to a serving plate, not a bowl! A plate will let the juices spread out and not have a lot of the goods sitting and getting soggy.

You can also plate it on a bed of short grain rice or cooked chow mein noodles. If you can visit an oriental market, check out the pre-seasoned noodles! But also don't be afraid to ask them for suggestions of sauces and seasonings to experiment with.

Good Luck and have fun experimenting!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:35:03 PM   #13
72350RS
Lifetime Gold Member

^It's hard to get a wok up to the right temp on a conventional stove.Rarely happens..^^^^^^ This. Bless you, Kamikazee, and your advice.

We are fortunate to have the Emporer/Emporess of China (top 100 Retaurants in the US, within 3 minutes of driving....).

But they are outstanding.

Our favorites vary.

Peking duck (to be ordered in advance) outstanding
Mo Shu Pork outstanding.
Hunan Beef, generally incredible, unless you get the off duty chef, and then it is average.
Sushi, btw, great), during hours....
Great pot stickers...
Generally, we have almost never been disappointed with anything....
Every now and again, we get the wrong chef preparing the veggies, and they are a little mushy. Big deal.
Their shredded beef Szechuan style is out of this world. in Desire's humble opinion who is looking ove my shoulder as I type this!

Btw, (she's gone now) she makes a great lo mein and Mo Shu Pork.....
She found a really great market off of Bishop and Newburg, here.....

Regardless, Best of luck!
72350RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42:35 PM   #14
72350RS
Lifetime Gold Member

Still without the bloody Mac, or a Mouse to show a link, because this darn computer is fighting me every step....Ready to throw this overpriced, outdated POS out he darned window... And I'm being reserved... Sorry I can't post the link... Will get the damned Mac fixed and try again...Stupid, worthless, no good, common piece of trash..... (the PC)..!
72350RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01:26 PM   #15
CamaroMan79
Lifetime Gold Member

almond chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Mongolian Beef
Gen Tso Chicken

For me.

There's a place in my town called the Golden Moon. They are pretty tastey.

1978 Z28: 383 stroker; Scat forged crank and rods, SRP pistons, Comp Cams/Howads valvetrain, AFR 195 heads, AED 750 double pumper RPM Air-Gap intake, Hedman headers, th400 trans
CamaroMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote