NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Troubleshooting & Diagnosis
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2012, 09:16:08 AM   #1
Millz90
Veteran Member

Tilt Steering Wheel Loose

Ok...so i though i had a problem with my steering wheel (which i do) but it seems to only be at the tilt section of the column. The portion from the tilt section up is loose and will move up and down, BUT the tilt portion also locks and releases?
Do i need to disassemble the steering wheel column down to the tilt section and replace the tilt mechanism?

If so can some one send me a link to the part i will likely need to buy? Or even a diagram of how to replace it.....?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23:32 AM   #2
Fbird
Lifetime Gold Member

IIRC it is a simple proceedure to tighten up....other than the disassembly of the lockplate.....(monster thumbs)...but has been a loooooooong time since I've done it.
Fbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39:10 AM   #3
Millz90
Veteran Member

What is IIRC? And i know there is a special tool to remove the lock plate right? Is there a way to do it with the tool, or does a store like Auto Zone let you borrow one?

I have been doing some searching and it sounds like maybe the "Torx head bolts" need to be tightened?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53:06 AM   #4
Millz90
Veteran Member

Also it sounds like i will need a "pivot pin puller" is that true?
So all together i would need

1)wheel puller
2) lockplate compressor
3) pivot pin puller

That is a lot of extra parts to fix 1 steering wheel!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01:36 AM   #5
ls777z
Veteran Member

Wheel puller and lock plate tool, yes. Don't think you need the pivot pin puller because I didn't. Once you pull off the wheel you need to remove the horn parts. I think the lock plate is next, not that hard with the tool. Then you have to remove/unscrew the turn signal lever. The turn signal switch needs to be loosened and just lifted up/off to the side. You should then be able to see the 3 screws that you need to tighten. If you have a digital camera/phone take lots of pics as you go along. That will remind you how it looks. It's been awhile for me too so if I forgot something hopefully someone will catch it.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24:13 AM   #6
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

Detailed instruction here. ---> http://www.buickperformance.com/tilt...lumnwobble.htm

(There are four screws which need to be tightened. (Use Loc-tite on them so you never have to do this again.)
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:47:13 PM   #7
Millz90
Veteran Member

So i started to tear the steering wheel appart looking for these 4 Torx head bolts. I dont think i have dug deep enough into the column yet though and am stuck on the turn signal piece. The wires are VERY tight and i can only get access into the column if i put the tilt all the way down.

So i guess my questions are....is there a way to loosen these wires connected to the turn signal piece?

and should i keep drilling into the column to look for these 4 bolts?

Another thing i saw that was weird to me was that when i moved the shifter (Automatic) the steering column moved as well....does that still mean these bolts are the problem? Also, just a little back ground when you shift the car the shifter is very mushy and its hard to tell what gear your in....i didint know if the steering wheel had anything to do with it.....

Last edited by Millz90 : 01-18-2012 at 10:51:19 PM.
Millz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54:56 PM   #8
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

You're getting there......
The job is more complex than can be explained in a few sentences.

There's no way I can do a better job of explaining it than the pics and instructions within the link I posted above.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:04:33 AM   #9
Millz90
Veteran Member

Ok ill keep digging then.

The thing thats throwing me off is the "harmonica" section of the instructions. I dont know where that is on my car? Is it more under the dash then the top tilting half of the steering wheel?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18:24 AM   #10
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

Yes.... That electrical connector is on the column under the dash.
The wires run through the column so you need to unplug it under there to get your wiggle room up top.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:26:04 AM   #11
azkeebler
Veteran Member

need E8 torx socket

Just so you aren't surprised an unprepared, you will need the E8 (if I remember the size correctly) socket. This is a concave versus a normal T5 style convex torx.

To loosen the wiring, as twistedmetal says, under the column is the plug. It may still be in it's cradle, just lift up and out and unclip from main harness. Loosen the column from dash (2-nuts)and from its bracket (4-bolts)and slip the wiring out of its plastic sleeve under the bracket some to release tension and give more slack at top.

Have ball bearing or white lithium handy to help hold parts in place during reassembly(ball bearings and rack pinion at ignition lock).

Tranny linkage is connected to lower collar of column for a couple reasons. Reverse switch and neutral safety switches on column, and to prevent the release of key if tranny is not in park or neutral.

Have much patience, don't force anything that doesn't feel right.. Too many of these tilts are tossed due to this common loosening problem , which in turn has brought the replacement value way up.

Good luck!! We can help as much as we can. Worse case scenario, local locksmith will be able to help you as a last resort. I was a locksmith for 6 years and had at least three of these a week.

Main tips of most common don't do's:
1.remove lock cylinder (WITHOUT THE KEY IN IT) and buzzer piece before removing upper collar
2.tilt all the way up before removing spring retainer with square hole(keep tilt lever handy)
3. Take note of lock pin spring and it's placement.
4. line up the rack/pinion at ignition lock assembly correctly

As twisted metal says, much more involved than just a few sentences. Follow the link he gave carefully.
azkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 01-07-2012, 01:33:23 AM   #12
351maverick
Gold Member

the tilt column in my Monte is loose as a goose - as long as I only steer pulling the wheel down it's fine

is there a kit to make a tilt column a non-tilt?

I was thinking of fabricating a big metal collar out of some split aluminum tube & clamping it to both the tilt & rigid sections of the column, effectively locking it in the straight position....
351maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48:32 AM   #13
80WA7113
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal
Detailed instruction here. ---> http://www.buickperformance.com/tilt...lumnwobble.htm

(There are four screws which need to be tightened. (Use Loc-tite on them so you never have to do this again.)

EXCELLENT step by step illustrated info!!!

I made sure to copy that into my "How-to" library for future reference...just in case
Old 01-07-2012, 01:02:19 PM   #14
LtRsZ
Veteran Member

The torx head bolts are reverse thread. Turn left to tighten.
LtRsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03:34 PM   #15
Millz90
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeebler
Just so you aren't surprised an unprepared, you will need the E8 (if I remember the size correctly) socket. This is a concave versus a normal T5 style convex torx.

To loosen the wiring, as twistedmetal says, under the column is the plug. It may still be in it's cradle, just lift up and out and unclip from main harness. Loosen the column from dash (2-nuts)and from its bracket (4-bolts)and slip the wiring out of its plastic sleeve under the bracket some to release tension and give more slack at top.

Have ball bearing or white lithium handy to help hold parts in place during reassembly(ball bearings and rack pinion at ignition lock).

Tranny linkage is connected to lower collar of column for a couple reasons. Reverse switch and neutral safety switches on column, and to prevent the release of key if tranny is not in park or neutral.

Have much patience, don't force anything that doesn't feel right.. Too many of these tilts are tossed due to this common loosening problem , which in turn has brought the replacement value way up.

Good luck!! We can help as much as we can. Worse case scenario, local locksmith will be able to help you as a last resort. I was a locksmith for 6 years and had at least three of these a week.

Main tips of most common don't do's:
1.remove lock cylinder (WITHOUT THE KEY IN IT) and buzzer piece before removing upper collar
2.tilt all the way up before removing spring retainer with square hole(keep tilt lever handy)
3. Take note of lock pin spring and it's placement.
4. line up the rack/pinion at ignition lock assembly correctly

As twisted metal says, much more involved than just a few sentences. Follow the link he gave carefully.

Great tips...i have it all the way down to taking out the pivot pin and cant find one anywhere in town....auto zone has to order them, advanced auto has to order them....so im waiting on that for 2 - 4 days before i can move on.

No big supprises yet, except for the loosening of the wire harness under the dash.

Can you send me a link of what kind of socket i need to tighten these bolts once i get to them? I wasnt aware i needed a special socket.

Also, since i have it all apart can anyone tell me what type of greese i need to get and what i should greese up? I see some greece on a few piece but not sure what type of greece?