NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Body Restoration
User Name
Password

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00:00 AM   #1
earlysecond
Veteran Member

Opinions on my sprayout

I have been considering the color I would make my car for many years now. I really wanted to keep the Z stripes but feel about half guilty putting them on a base coupe. PLUS I often like the non stripe look on SS cars and other Base cars. The original color of my car was Mulsanne Blue. In my estimation, it is one of THE best Second Gen colors. I just cannot bring myself to paint a car Mulsanne without Black stripes. Hence my dilemma. The solution? Paint the car a non factory color that I really like and then use ghost pearl to apply stirpes. Unless you are at exactly the correct angle, the stripes will not be visable, nor will they be seen from a distance. My goal was to find a color to make a ghost stripe work. There are many options. One day on the SPI side I stumbled on an avatar. It was a car form spray out that had a color that was. . .black, no look closer, a muted blue. I contacted the owner of the avatar and inquired about the color. He looked it up and reported that it was a european color called macht bleau. The translation is midnight blue. I thought that silver or white ghosted stripes would be ideal. The problem with ghost pearl on a dark color is the mix. For a quart of intercoat clear it might only take a screwdriver sized scoop to make the effect. On light colors it takes TONS of additve.

Friday, I bought a 1/2 pint of Midnight Blue (for $32!!) I did a spray out on black primer, waited for the base to dry and began to experiment with ghosted stripes. I began by probably mixing too much additive. I am not sure this is subtle enough. The base is very expensive. The pearl will be VERY inexpensive. SPI intercoat clear is $80 a gallon. I will need less than a quart and probably have enough. The dollar amount of pearl that I will use will be less then 50 cents!
Here are the results. I need to see it in the light to be sure but I think I am close. BTW 2 coats of SPI universal clear were sprayed with my middle of the road (Air Gunsa 1.3 tipped HVLP) gun. I got pretty good results and my garage is FILTHY with metal shavings rust dust, putty dust, stripped paint dust and overspray from primer.

I am hoping that the base color looks even darker at most angles outside. The top, narrow strip is pure silver. The top is 1 coat of my receipe the second is 2 coats. The wide and narrow stripe that are down the panel add blue shimmer ghost pearl in addition to the silver. Another option may be white ghost pearl. I will check my inventory.

http://my1970z28.com/BB/download/fil...=144&mode=view

http://my1970z28.com/BB/download/fil...=145&mode=view

http://my1970z28.com/BB/download/fil...=146&mode=view

http://my1970z28.com/BB/download/fil...=147&mode=view

http://my1970z28.com/BB/download/fil...=148&mode=view

Right now, in the garage without direct light from a spot light you cannot see the stripes. That is my goal. The morning sun will shed some light on my decision (pun intended)

Last edited by earlysecond : 10-10-2011 at 12:03:01 AM.
earlysecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:10:59 AM   #2
jroach
Veteran Member

maybe a little heavy on the pearl. just my 2 cents.

bright blue 79 berlinetta the 355 4-speed combo lives!!!

http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/jroach_2009/
jroach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13:44 AM   #3
earlysecond
Veteran Member

Agreed. I only mixed 4 oz. of intercoat for this spray out and then quickly realized that 2 small screwdriver blades was too MUCH.

Thanks for the input.

I am also concerned that the base color may not look too good on a Second Generation F Body.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:15:47 AM   #4
dcozzi
Veteran Member

I like the base and also think less pearl.

1970RS Camaro.
Tons of "go fast goodies" but, still does not move.
dcozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21:57 AM   #5
earlysecond
Veteran Member

Thanks dcozzi. I really do want a true ghosted effect. I have only seen a single pictue, one time on the whole internet, of sombody who did a good, true ghosted effect which is what I am after. I remember that I painted platinum pearl over black base coat and added 1 large screwdriver head sized scoop to a quart of intercoat clear.. A neat, custom effect and I did the whole paint job in a weekend for FREE but the owner of the Jeep did not appreciate my creativity. . .it was, afterall free. . . sheesh!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:33:45 AM   #6
tmv36830
Lifetime Gold Member

Ghost flames are cool when done properly no doubt. It is hard for me to tell in the pictures you posted how that would look on a whole car but if you like it go for it.

You may want to google motorcycles with ghost flames. My painter does a lot of ghost flames on motorcycles.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:43:55 AM   #7
tmv36830
Lifetime Gold Member

Here are two cars I got off of google.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49:23 AM   #8
earlysecond
Veteran Member

I will mess with it a bit more. I left room on my spray panel. Next step will be to mix a new batch with less pearl, sand the UV clear and put the stripes on top of the sanded clear then re clear. This helps to suspend them a bit and make the job look a bit deeper.

I have seen plenty of pictures of ghosted flames. It is a very common practice. I should clarify. I have only seen one second generation Camaro, in pictures, with properly (by my definition) exectuted ghost stripes.

The pictures do not really represent how the panel appears as I had to use a flash. I will get it out in the sun first thing in the morning before I decide. I have until next spring do decide exactly what I am going to do and this was only a first pass experiment. Thanks for taking the time to look!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56:47 AM   #9
earlysecond
Veteran Member

This Cobra Kit is about what I am shooting for. This is pretty well done in my book and should only be visable at certain angles.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ghost...6&tx=110&ty=90

Holy crap, that makes me rethink the Mulsanne blue with white/silver ghosted stripes!!
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29:41 PM   #10
ChevyReb
Lifetime Gold Member

Best Vette color I have seen is this version of the jetstream blue. Looks great in daylight and just plain sick at night. I saw one at my local track a few weeks after my car was painted. If I had seen it before you could know what it looks like on a 2nd gen!

EDIT: Actually I think now the one I saw at the track was the new supersonic Blue which is also available on the new Camaro and here is a pic of one second down. And another vette last pic.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...4&d=1268698628

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
1971 Camaro under Restoration

"And if I claim to be a wise man; It surely means that I don't know"

Last edited by ChevyReb : 10-12-2011 at 11:39:05 AM.
ChevyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09:46 PM   #11
earlysecond
Veteran Member

Craig,

I really like how your car came out though. If mine were a Z there is no doubt it would be going back to the original scheme. Since it is not. . .the sky is the limit.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20:39 PM   #12
earlysecond
Veteran Member

After I saw this panel in the sun I am not entirely convinced that the base coat is worth the money for the effect it gives. IF I do go this route I will change 2 things:
1. Only use a fraction of the pearl additive, mix silver and blue but have it much less concentrated. The stripes are pretty clearly visible in the sun which is NOT what I was trying to do. I know most of the feedback you guys gave agreed confirmed this observation.
2. I will first apply base then clear, sand THEN apply the ghost stripes in that layer. Finally I will add much more clear, cut and buff. This will cause the stripes to appear suspended in the paint.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00:09 AM   #13
Scatter
Veteran Member

This blue is nice!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyReb
Best Vette color I have seen is this version of the jetstream blue. Looks great in daylight and just plain sick at night. I saw one at my local track a few weeks after my car was painted. If I had seen it before you could know what it looks like on a 2nd gen!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/411387...evrolet-camaro

Big Bumper for Life
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10:44 PM   #14
ChevyReb
Lifetime Gold Member

^^^ I agree and its even better in person. I mean it really is my favorite blue ever. And the black wheels and trim really set it off. I don't think it would be as nice with chrome wheels.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
1971 Camaro under Restoration

"And if I claim to be a wise man; It surely means that I don't know"
ChevyReb is offline   Reply With Quote