NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56:37 AM   #1
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

1979 350 SBC Firing order

I bought a 1979 Z28 engine for my '81 and it did not have the boots on any of the spark plugs when I bought it. I printed off the '78 diagram here on NastyZ28 and some of the wires won't reach where they're sposta go, then I tried using my dad's 72 Cheyenne with a 350 for reference and it was completely different than what was on the diagram. I was wondering if the firing order is the same and if not what is the correct order?

Thanks,
Dalton
TDPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58:32 AM   #2
deputyrob
Veteran Member

1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

1970 Z28, camaro gold with black stripes.SOLD it...now its someone elses project
1972 sport coupe, 396....11.5 compression, 600 lift solid cam, Holley dp and a Super T10.
deputyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03:16 AM   #3
retorq
Veteran Member

It's the same order, someone might have switched the #1 plug terminal on one of the engines ...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16:11 AM   #4
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for your quick replies!

How do I tell which one is the #1 terminal? I looked at the vacuum thing on each vehicle and they're both in the same position on the passenger side.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46:27 AM   #5
deputyrob
Veteran Member

i assume its and hei ignition....number one wire is the second one clockwise from the flat portion that the wires plug into....hope that makes sense.

1970 Z28, camaro gold with black stripes.SOLD it...now its someone elses project
1972 sport coupe, 396....11.5 compression, 600 lift solid cam, Holley dp and a Super T10.
deputyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02:22 PM   #6
wild84
Veteran Member

I disagree... The best way is to pull the number 1 plug, cover the hole with your thumb, have someone bump it over until you feel it blow your thumb off the hole. Then pull the cap off the distributor and see where the rotor is pointing. That is where the number 1 plug on the cap needs to be. If the rotor looks to be inbetween terminals, go back one (counterclockwise) and thats where the #1 wire should go (a sbc dizzy rotates clockwise). Mine happens to be the first one past the part where the wires plug into.
9.22@148
wild84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:51:35 PM   #7
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Most repair manuals show the #1 terminal on a HEI distribtor as being the one that points to the #1 spark plug.

Use Wild84's proceedure to determine where the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is aligned to the zero on the timing tab. The rotor should be pointing towards #1 cylinder. IF it isn't, then I would pull the distributor out, move the oil pump driveshaft so that it is in the correct position, then re-install the distributor till the rotot points to the #1 spark plug.

Once all of the above is done, you can then put the spark plug wires on in the 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 (which is cast into all stock SBC intakes).

BTW, JD, our youngest son, could do all of the above when he was five (he's now 29 years old). He knew the firing order of a SBC when he was 3 and ALL of his girlfreinds had to know the firing order too in order to come into MY garage! LOL!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09:42 PM   #8
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for all your replies. It turns out I was confused by the Accel super coil on top, I thought it was an aftermarket distributor... but after I removed the super coil to get better access to the plug wires the distributor underneath >looks< like the stock black one.

Which brings me to my next question:

When I pulled of the super coil nothing was hooked up, I found the manual online and plugged in the pins like it said, My car also has a red wire that attaches to a plug that goes into the super coil and it goes no where, and it also has 3 blackish grey wires that attach to the super coil and 2 go into the distributor and 1 is not attached to anything, is there any idea where these wires go?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:14:00 PM   #9
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

they go to the ignition module inside the distributor.. or at least they should..lol

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.
K5JMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17:06 PM   #10
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

there was two pins that I connected to the distributor one was yellow and one was red, those wires plug into the part where I connected those pins into the distributor...so they go back into it?
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27:48 PM   #11
73Camaro383
Lifetime Gold Member

One is power for the distributor and the other is for the tach.
73Camaro383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31:06 PM   #12
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmv2007
One is power for the distributor and the other is for the tach.

power is orange, tach is white...
the plug behind it goes to the ign module inside the dizzy.. it has 3 wires.

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.
K5JMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39:11 PM   #13
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

Okay, ya'll have lost me lol.

So the orange wire goes to the battery?

And yes the plug does have 3 wires, 2 of them go into the distributor at the bottom (picture 3) and 1 goes kinda in the middle, so do I just connect it to the black plug in picture two?

As for the white wire...I havn't saw one...am I missing a plug?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30:37 AM   #14
wild84
Veteran Member

The red one that is hooked to the distributor, but not hooked up on the other end needs to go to a KEY ON power (NOT BATTERY POWER) The Third one that plugs in with the two that go back in the dizzy should go to ground. Been a while sense I hooked one up without a box, I'll have to double check that. There is also a spot next to that red one that is spliced to orange, the one that goes to key on, for a tach wire. Look at pic 2, the spot on this side of the white plug, thats for the tach.
9.22@148
wild84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:07:29 AM   #15
TDPalmer
Lifetime Gold Member

Alright, I got you...I think, so I'm missing the Tach plug? Where would I find one of those?