NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General Topics > Project Progress
User Name
Password

Old 09-17-2011, 01:25:06 PM   #46
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Thought as the repairs to the driver side wasn't too bad I would tackle the passenger side. And didnt actually get all that far before having to stop and think about the best method to continue.

Started off looking like this, patches over the top of rusty metal

To be fair it was well welded together, but it wasn't really achieving much other than providing a place for water to collect and the rot to spread.

Took an age with the grinder to carefully peel off the plates to find out what was salvageable underneath. Turns out I should have just hacked it out as there wasnt really much left after removing the rusty metal anyway.

Much worse than the driver side. Notice the nice rotten torque box and frame rail...?

The rail has been patched up from outside before with 18g metal. It looks like I am going to have to drop the leaf spring this side so I can get to the rail properly to cut off the previous patches and repair it properly. Not sure what thickness the rails themselves are, somewhere between 16g and 14g from measurements, but it seems to vary quite a lot.

I think its getting serious enough to break out the plasma cutter tomorrow.... But first I'll be making up some sort of brace to hold the frame somewhere near right while I repair it.

Its a real shame no one makes repair sections for the front of the frame rails would save a lot of grief.

Oh well, more cutting and welding tomorrow by the looks of it.

Last edited by flak monkey : 09-17-2011 at 01:28:17 PM.
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:54:47 PM   #47
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Its a bit disheartening at the moment. I really want to try and find a good subframe rail section from another car. As it would make the job a little easier and tidier!

I don't know of anyone breaking a late 2nd gen in the UK at the moment. I am a bit stuck, I would like to get it back together so I can use the car, but equally I would much rather fit a new section of rail rather than make the lots of patches required for this one as its going to be a lot better in the long run.

With the amount of work I am doing on this thing its going to have to be a keeper I reckon

Oh and the screen and back window leak too. Never mind I thought they might, no big suprise! :lol:
Old 09-18-2011, 05:34:37 PM   #48
weiland2

Seems like you always find more rust around every corner doesn't it. Kill it and keep up the good work!
weiland2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20:39 AM   #49
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Dropped the tank the other night, didnt uncover anything too sinister. Off to get some donor rear frame rail sections soon, but still not found anyone with the lower section that I need in the UK.

Going to be scraping some more underseal off the car tonight in preparation for more cutting and welding at the weekend.

I keep toying with the idea of taking the car off the road properly and getting something else to use in the mean time, but insurance is just a total killer over here.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29:04 AM   #50
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Well the decision is made, the car is no longer going to be a running project. It's coming off the road properly and I am going to be stripping out the rear axle and probably all the front sheet metal this weekend.

More pics to follow...

Our Bonneville Adventures follow the progress on Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 03:03:48 PM   #51
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Well this afternoon I spent another 5 hours scraping underseal off the bottom of the car. Its now pretty much there, other than the inner quarters

Just needs steam cleaning once I have stripped everything else off the car.

Pulled off the fibreglass patch on the valance as well, no suprise at what was underneath

Also pulled the rear bumper and lights to get a look at the rear panel. Been bodged up in the past, so I'll be tackling that this weekend.

Last edited by flak monkey : 09-23-2011 at 03:23:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:49:48 PM   #52
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Well while I wait for some patch panels to arrive I might as well crack on with everything else.

Finished off patching the floors today. They are now all done and ready for paint when the time comes. The driver side wasnt really too bad compared to the passenger side. Still removed plenty of metal though.

This is what it looked like after the existing patches had been cut off. Not too bad.

Lots of little bits, and it took quite a while to cut all the old rot out properly.

I decided to do away with the drain holes as well as one cover was missing anyway and the floor was rotten around where they fitted.

Now its all etch primered ready for a top coat of epoxy eventually.

Next job is removing the rest of the sheet metal at the front so I can get to the cowl to patch it up properly. Then dash out so I can get to the firewall and cowl inside too.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:52:17 PM   #53
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Bit of a short day today, so didn't get that much done.

Pulled the dash out this morning then removed the heater matrix and kick panels to get a look at the damage. The firewall is solid. The driver side cowl panels arent too bad, just a small hole at the top which will be easy enough to get to. The passenger side is comepletely gone though... ever wondered what a few years of a leaking cowl does? Here you go...

And a few holes in the cowl panel

Nothing that can't be fixed with a happy day with the welder.... Before I get too far I will have to pull the screen out and take the cowl vent panel off so I can get inside the cowl area and fix it properly.

I also started pulling out a load of superfluous wiring. Lots of things the car has been fitted with in the past that are no longer there, retractable aerial, clutch converter lock up, and a rubbish stereo. So the wiring has more or less got back to whats needed. Still a bit to come out when I actually do the electrical system though.

Just as an example, this was the masterpiece that made up the stereo wiring...

:lol:

Definately not fitting a stereo when I put it back together. In two minds whether to bother even putting the heater back. I guess I ought to really :lol:

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03:40 PM   #54
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Just some minor progress as I only have an hour or so every evening as its getting dark early now.

Cut all the rust away from the kick panel area, everything left has only got some minor surface rust apart from around the vent at the top, which I will sort once the cowl/dash is out of the way. So its ready for some epoxy paint now while I can get to everything inside, then I will be welding in some new metal.

Also have ordered a new cowl/vent panel and side/shoulder panel and a new windscreen. So once this little job is done its on to one of the most major jobs I have to do. They should all arrive next week.

Once thats all done the front end will be back to being nice and solid and well protected from future rotting.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:34:26 AM   #55
RS1970
Veteran Member

Hey David,
I just read your entire build thread. I now see what's going on with the frame rail.
If you find the guy who did those ” repairs” do us all a favor and punch his face, twice.
I am cutting your new frame rail out on saturday morning. The cable and wire cover for the drivers side is coming at the same time.
Good on you for doing those repairs so much better now. You'll have a very solid car when it's all done.
RS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55:23 AM   #56
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Eric. Nice to know someone is reading

Hoping it will be a nice solid shell when I am done, will be nice to start getting it back together.

Some of the previous 'repairs' still baffle me. Obvious MOT bodges just to get it another years ticket.

Got some more stuff to strip out tonight, interior wiring harness and firewall padding needs to come out so I can get to everything to give it a coat of epoxy once the rust is dealt with.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:19:51 PM   #57
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Haven't managed to get much done this weekend, dont really know whats happened.... Nonetheless managed to start patching up the kick panel area in between helping change the cambelt on the other car. :lol: Oh and a mate popped over, which was a nice break from laying in the footwell of the Camaro

Wirebrushed and painted inside with Jotamastic epoxy as recommended. Seems like good stuff. Other than it don't half burn well when you weld near it. Smells good too. After that started repairing the hinge support plates, inner sill, the pinch weld area at the door opening and a few other time consuming bits

Then welded in a new piece at the bottom, plug welded to all the inner structures and seam welded to the sill.

The rust in the background is the back of the cowl shoulder panel thats coming out soon. Everything thats staying has a good coat of paint.

Just the top pieces to do now, might start on it this week one evening.

Last edited by flak monkey : 10-02-2011 at 03:22:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:50:48 PM   #58
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

And yes, I know it doesn't look original... but its a damn sight harder to find donor bits in the UK. If only these things were as popular over here this would be so much easier.

Maybe you guys wonder why I am bothering with such a rusty heap that isn't even a Z28? And I wonder that sometimes myself....

According to the DVLA (our vehicle registration people) there are less than 600 Camaro's here, from all generations right up to the current incarnation. If you are talking real Z28's then there are less than 100.

F-bodies are rare as hell over here...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:07:07 PM   #59
ctchap70
Lifetime Gold Member

Keep up the good work flak, you make so many of us realize that " our car is not so bad ". Thanks, Charlton

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197307
ctchap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04:09 AM   #60
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Lol, thanks Charlton. Watching you guys repair/restore yours makes me wish I had access to the range of parts you do