Password

Old 08-26-2011, 04:53:21 PM   #31
bowtie1969

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	12770

Looks like a oil pressure sending unit. Good looking camaro and getting better all time.
bowtie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07:20 PM   #32
steve_1978
Veteran Member

looking good, i would also say that that is an oil pressure switch probably for an oil light not a gauge. and im lovin the colour, same yellow i want but no stripes for me. keep up the work
steve_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:33:32 PM   #33
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks guys. I think its an oil pressure switch yep, something to do with the dual switch system they used on later FI engines. I'll change it for a normal style switch at some point so I can get my oil pressure light working.

Drivers door hinges sorted today. In a much worse state than the passenger side as I expected. Someone had welded the pins into the hole where the bush should be so the pins had been turning in the other part of the hinge for some time. So the holes in the non-bushed halves were elongated quite badly

So I welded each one up and re-drilled them properly.

The bush fits were a little loose this side as well so I stuck the bushes into the hinges with Loctite 642 Retainer so they aren't going anywhere soon.

And that was that

I'll get around to painting them when I do the bodywork/cosmetics on the car next year. For now, they function properly and the doors open and close as they should now.

I did have to adjust the window on the drivers side as well, and the door alignment isn't perfect but I will revisit it another day as I need to drop the doors off the hinges again anyway to do some repairs to the bottom edges.

Also got the proper wiper arms fitted up, so I now have wipers that function properly. Aside from the relay playing up a bit so I will have to have a look at the motor at some point.

Tomorrow I may make a start on the floor depending on the weather...
flak monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32:16 PM   #34
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Been out on the bike today so not got much done other than jacking the rear of the car up to have a good look underneath. First time I had and I was expecting worse to be honest.

All in all looks reasonably sound. Some welding has been done in the past and the underseal was put on over loose road muck so I scraped some of it off to get a better idea of the condition of the rear frame rails. All in order to know the extent of the welding required underneath before I make a start.

Also the shocks seem to have weak springs fitted, no idea what they are other than orange...

Anyway drivers side first...

Rusty seam between inner arch and trunk floor. Accessible from both sides, so should be a straight forward repair

Small hole in rear frame rail near spring mount. Will be fun to weld a patch on... (anyone know what the bracket is for??)

Hole at rail mount to boot floor. Again easy access from both sides

The same holes from above

And rust under the trunk hinge mounts

Passenger side is much the same story, hole at rail mount

Other than that some light surface rust

And a patchwork rail at the front, although it seems to have been done reasonably well, but not how I would have done it

Old 08-28-2011, 02:32:46 PM   #35
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Other than that it seems fairly solid with a few old patches here and there. (Again anyone know what the 2 brackets are for?? One is on the top right hand side of the pic below in the extreme foreground and another in the same place the other side)

In trying to find out where the tank breather/vapour return was I found a few things dropped down between the inner wing and firewall...aren't magnetic pick up tools wonderful?

Well saves some weight and a couple of rattles I guess

Last edited by flak monkey : 08-29-2011 at 03:51:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03:10 PM   #36
bowtie1969

Those look like brackets for the exhaust/muffler system. Car don't look bad at all. good project.
bowtie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:34:15 PM   #37
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Picked up my new radiator and trans cooler tonight along with a few other bits. Only changing it because it's leaking and its a bit of a bodge, end tanks have been hammered to fit.

Thought I would make a start on changing the radiator, only to uncover a nicely rotten core support. No major problem as I was planning on stripping the front end of the car to do any repair work necessary. I just wasn't planning on doing it so soon. Here's what was fitted to start with.

Some sort of GM radiator, with about a 31" wide core and integrated trans cooler.

Drained the coolant and pulled the rad and uncovered this :roll:

There isnt much left to hold the radiator up to be honest, its also got plenty of rust under the battery tray, but I havent removed it yet to survey the damage.

Made a start on removing the front bumper. Other than the bolts at the bottom where it meets the fender they have all come undone fairly easily. Will finish off removing all the bolts and lift the bumper off tomorrow night.

Then I will be removing all the metal work including the core support, repairing and refitting. Also want to change the core support bushes while I am there if I can get some in time for the weekend. I'll grab some more photos as I go.
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 09-01-2011, 03:16:45 PM   #38
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

More bits stripped off tonight, just the core support itself to come off, but tried all the bolts and they all come undone OK except 1, which shouldnt be a problem anyway.

Some more photos of the damage

Cue some happy hours with the welder and grinder :lol:
Old 09-03-2011, 06:07:14 PM   #39
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Got the core support off yesterday afternoon, rust about what I expected. Gave it a quick wire brush with the angle grinder.

Passenger side mount was completely shot, as was quite a lot of the lower sheet metal

And these were the bushes

Nice...

Cut all of the rot out completely. No point messing about. The painted all the insides with POR15

It took all day today to repair it all, and it now looks a bit like a Franken core support

Fixed passenger side mount

Paint tomorrow and fixing the inner fenders
Old 09-04-2011, 01:18:47 PM   #40
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Today has mostly been a painting day. Painted up the core support, impact beam and a few other bits with POR15

Decided to dismantle the impact beam which wasn't too bad, wire brushed it and scuffed it up with a soft pad.

And 2 coats of paint

Same with the battery tray

Also swapped a rear wheel over to see what 225 tyres would be like on the front. The sidewall sits about 2mm outside the arch.

Would prefer them to be better tucked in, but lack of money precludes buying new rims for the forseeable future. If these 225 from the rear will be OK then I will just get some widers tyres fitted to the current front rims as the tyres are perished that are on there anyway. Probably go for 255's in the back, need to have a measure up when it stops raining....

Last edited by flak monkey : 09-04-2011 at 01:21:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38:33 PM   #41
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Lots of grinding and dismantling today.

Pulled out the whole interior, so I could lift the carpet out. Hadn't had a look under the drivers side until now and I was plesantly suprised by it being quite solid.

Some previous bad repairs, some fibreglass under the rear seat. All of which will be coming out and being done properly.

Also cut out the previous patches on the passenger side as they had just been put on the inside of the floor and the rot hadn't been cut out properly.

Seems to a lot worse than the drivers side. But I put that down to what I assume to be a water leak up at the base of the screen as there is some rust visible if you look up under the dash. So I will be taking the fender off after I have sorted the floor out and have a good look at the cowl/firewall.

I won't be fitting new floor pans, just patching the ones that are there properly as its all pretty straight forward stuff.

Whats less simple is sorting this mess out

Old 09-10-2011, 04:02:12 PM   #42
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

More cutting today. Cut out the rot from the floor and set about patching. Just the toe board to finish off tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

Ended up cutting a big chunk of the floor out, and in hindsight it would have probably been better to replace the whole passenger side floor. But if it needs any more work in the future that would be the plan. I managed to replace the front section of floor with one piece of plate, which although time consuming should be better in the long run.

The plus side is the rear subframe looked pretty solid from the top, as does the box where the rear front subframe bolt is.

Once the passenger side is done I will move on to the drivers side, which seems to be in a lot better condition. So hopefully won't take any where near as long.

I'll seam sealer all the welds top and bottom as well, then pull the shifter out and give the whole floor a coat of POR15 inside. That will be the main floor area sorted for another few years hopefully.

Then I just need to decide what to do with the poorly repaired floor under the rear seats. I don't think anyone makes those floor sections. Am I right? If not then It will be another big job for another day.

While poking around underneath I found a couple of small holes near the forward passenger side spring perch. If it all comes undone fairly easily it won't be a bad job.

As an aside, I would like to meet whoever invented underseal and punch them, right in the face....
Old 09-11-2011, 01:44:13 PM   #43
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Finished off the major work on the passenger floor today. Then set about scraping the underseal off the car. Thankfully most of it seems to come off very easily as its been put on without cleaning the floor. Hopefully I will get it all scraped off by the end of next weekend then I can get the underside steam cleaned and give it a proper coat of paint. I'll be leaving the front subframe for the time being as I will pull that off when the engine is out and will deal with that then.

There was a little more work lurking under the passenger toe board but nothing major

Gave it a coat of anti-rust paint inside for good measure as well while I was there...

The other side of the repair metal is already nice and clean, just need to wire brush the whole passenger floor then its ready for a coat of paint.

And the underside is pretty sound under the loose underseal. Most of it still has the original paint on it and is actually in really nice condition.

Once its steam cleaned I will give it a good coat of paint, though I am not sure whether to use POR15 or not yet.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10:53 PM   #44
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Removed the inner fenders tonight. Wasn't actually too bad only had to cut a couple of bolts through.

Slowly pulling the whole front end off so I can get a good look at the cowl as there is some rust visible from inside the car. The plan being to make some temporary repairs for now, then get the screen pulled out and have the cowl/dash panel off to get inside properly. Plus there is some rust around the screen that needs seeing to anyway.

From what I can see so far it doesn't look to be too bad. Couple of little holes on the drivers side and just some surface rust on the passenger side to deal with once the fenders are off.

Tomorrow I'll get the fenders off and have a better look around. I know the passenger fender has been badly repaired along the bottom, so I may get a repair patch for that rather than messing around.

Lot more welding this weekend if the weather is good...! I just want to get a really solid shell as a basis before going too far with anything else.

I also have my poly bush kit for the body mounts too, so that will be going in before it all goes back together.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30:21 PM   #45
flak monkey
Lifetime Gold Member

Well curiosity got the better of me and I thought I would do some more welding on the floor while the weather is OK. Though I am suffering with a damaged back at the moment, so progress is slow

Thought I would have a look under the filler under the rear passenger seat....and look what I found...

Who the hell covers that with filler?! Just filler, no fibre glass....

Cut the floor pan away to uncover the frame rail near the spring pocket

Getting better...

Then cut out the rusty parts of the rail and part of the inner wing that was rotten and started welding in new metal. Used 16swg for everything to match up with this part of the frame rail.

Cut out some card templates and started repairing the rail. Did it in 2 parts just to make it easier

Thats it for this afternoon, gave it a quick coat of paint ready for welding in a new piece of floor over the weekend.

The good news is the rest of the rail looks to be in good condition, and I will be dropping the spring at some point when I change the bushes to have a more thorough inspection.

Going to get the passenger side to the same state tomorrow before welding in the patches on the floor.