NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Performance Modifications
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54:06 PM   #1
Dmystix
Veteran Member

Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM Fuel Pressure-Electric Pump?

I have Edelbrock 1406 with an Edelbrock manual pump, stock lines, tank, etc.
When I would run the car in hotter temps, mid 80s, it would lay over just past the 1000' mark. I want to add an electric pump just for this. Cooler temps it pulls OK. Right now I don't want to go to an electric only, or some other mech pump. I'm looking at 2 Carters, one is 4-6 PSI, the other is 6-8 PSI. Trying to figure out which would be better for the carb. I don't want to get into regulator, etc. right now. I have Holley blues, black, AN lines, cells, return and deadhead regs, etc., don't want to get into all that, on this car.
This is a mild 350, maybe 300 hp, TH350, 3:73s, DRs. Just want to add a regulated pump for now, while the temps are up.
I remember a thread on here a while back about electric/mech pump combo, couldn't find it.

Last edited by Dmystix : 08-03-2011 at 12:56:08 PM.
Dmystix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02:23 PM   #2
Pfrederiksen
Veteran Member

6-8 is getting to the top end of what an eddy will tolerate on the needle and seat. Its strange you are having problems with a mech pump on a mild build?
Sure you don't have something else going on?

P
Pfrederiksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30:46 PM   #3
Damon
Veteran Member

You want the Carter street pump (4-6 PSI). You really don't need or want much pressure if you're just using it as a booster for a mechanical pump up front.

I will warn you that the Carter pumps are noisy SOBs. Even if you use the rubber isolator grommets. A Holley Red is almost silent by comparison. But it's also pushing about 7 PSI.

A mechanical pump can SLIGHTLY reduce the pressure of the electric pump. But only slightly. It doesn't take much pressure to unseat the one-way valves in the pump and push on through it. I mean 1 PSI drop at most through the mechanical pump's valves.

78 Malibu. Inherited with only 35K on the odo! Mild 383 with Weiand 142 blower on top. Mid 12s appears to be the best it's gonna do on street rubber. Runs so good I may never drive it again.

"Last remaining QJet tuner on planet Earth!"
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-04-2011, 04:42:03 AM   #4
night rider
Veteran Member

I would go with a deadhead reg. I have used carter arb and edelbrock carbs for 13-14 years and I tell you right now even alot of STOCK mech. fuel pumps pushes the needles on these carbs.

5.5 psi is the very MAX pressure before the needles start moving out of seats.

I always put a deadhead reg with the eddy carbs and sewt pressure to 5.0 to 5.25 psi

I think that 4-6 psi carter pump runniung through mech. pump may even be alittle too much pressure for these carbs

Vid clip of my 1988 camaro idling and reving.. New engine combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kfmy4IQQI
night rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02:37 AM   #5
My73LT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by night rider
5.5 psi is the very MAX pressure before the needles start moving out of seats.

I always put a deadhead reg with the eddy carbs and sewt pressure to 5.0 to 5.25 psi

I think that 4-6 psi carter pump runniung through mech. pump may even be alittle too much pressure for these carbs

Got that right. Anything more then 5.5 is pushing it on an Eddy carb.

I'd suggest trying to index your banjo inlet fitting if you're using one. I found mine restricted fuel flow into the carb. A little time with a dremel adjusting the fitting really helped. it sounds like your carb is eventually getting sucked dry, and adjusting the fitting may give you what you need for next to nothing.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41:33 AM   #6
Dmystix
Veteran Member

Here's the banjo

Wouldn't the straight shot of one of these be better then the banjo's 90??

Probably have to break down and go for the reg, gauge, etc.
Any recomendations on a pump?
I've got a new Blue on the shelf, but would think something in the 7psi would be better to turn down to the 5 range, rather than the Blue's 14psi.
Dmystix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37:22 PM   #7
My73LT
Veteran Member

The straight shot is better, but doesn't fit with a drop base air cleaner that most of us have to use. Clocking the inside/threaded fitting so it's inlet is directly across from the external fittings inlet helped me. I had to open up the inside fitting, add a gasket or two, and adjust where it pointed. It was cheaper then a fuel pump.