NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 06-14-2011, 11:23:42 PM   #46
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Location: Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of California
^^Thats hideous! you dont want to cover up that intake manifold, especially with something ugly as that.
I would do the dummy MAF with it blocked off unless you could use two MAF sensors and work it into the program to totalize the two to meter the fuel.
Not everyone deserves your respect but you deserve to give it regardless. You give respect because itís ingrained in your character to demonstrate your strength of character to your fellow man, not necessarily out of their virtue, but your own.
Marks71BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25:10 PM   #47
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer
Just found this. May have to make a call tomorrow.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.0.0.0?pp=35&

PRI 2010 Ė Spectre ProFab MAFS Conversion Kits
That just might be the ticket right there!
Not everyone deserves your respect but you deserve to give it regardless. You give respect because itís ingrained in your character to demonstrate your strength of character to your fellow man, not necessarily out of their virtue, but your own.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26:12 PM   #48
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71BB
^^Thats hideous! you dont want to cover up that intake manifold, especially with something ugly as that.
I would do the dummy MAF with it blocked off unless you could use two MAF sensors and work it into the program to totalize the two to meter the fuel.

I did a search on using two MAF sensors and it appears you would have to be an engineering genius to make it work. Plus you would have to reprogram the computer. It appears using the Spectre sensor also require reprogramming the computer.

Anyone have a defective MAF sitting on a shelf?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41:24 PM   #49
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Of course if I put in a good extra MAF, I would always have the spare handy!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59:05 PM   #50
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Just snorkel it to one side and call it good, extend the filter to forward of the core support on the drivers side. Form follow function.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11:22 AM   #51
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71BB
Just snorkel it to one side and call it good, extend the filter to forward of the core support on the drivers side. Form follow function.

Gotta make it more complicated than that!!! Just think of all the brackets I get to make to keep this dual snorkel with two MAF's and two filters in place!!!
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-15-2011, 09:37:15 AM   #52
PolarBear
I love hood, I love lamp

Quote:
Spectre also claims that the blade style design is more robust and less prone to flow sensitivities than the boot type.

I have read the opposite recently on LS1tech that people are having problems with the card style MAF's on "non factory" locations. This is mostly on the new E-Rod LS engines that have to pass smog. YMMV though, just something to consider. They seem like the way to go though when you want to make your own intake.

I love hood

The artist formerly known as notchbackgta
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53:51 PM   #53
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Had a bunch of running around to do today so not much accomplished. I did get the coil covers mounted and installed one of the air cleaners so I could get a feel for how the motor will look.

As you can see in the photo below, the passenger side of the snorkel is very close to the compressor. To move the snorkel out, I have a 1" throttle body spacer on the way. I found a used MAF for little money and I am planning on installing both of them with only one hooked up. Now I have to figure out the best way to block one side of the snorkel.

The Edelbrock water pump that came with the front runner kit takes the late model LS thermostat housing from 2004 up. I test fitted it today and it angles away from the motor which would make for a very weird hose to get it to the radiator. I have a housing that is straight out from the front of the motor on the way. Since the water pump works in the reverse of one on a small block, the hose from the thermostat housing goes to the bottom of the radiator while the return is at the top. I may have to custom make that hose as it must wind around the air intake and the front runner kit.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12:01 PM   #54
CarNDrvr
Veteran Member

Dang Jerry, you've done more with this car than I could ever have. Looks incredible now. Can't wait to see the finished product. Is the motor all stock?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:31:07 PM   #55
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNDrvr
Dang Jerry, you've done more with this car than I could ever have. Looks incredible now. Can't wait to see the finished product. Is the motor all stock?

Thanks. Looks somewhat different than when I drove it home from your house almost exactly two years ago.

Yes, it is a stock LS1 with a LS6 intake. With no smog equipment and headers, it should be healthy enough. And it should get great gas mileage!!!

Last edited by jerhofer : 06-15-2011 at 11:50:00 PM.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14:49 AM   #56
CarNDrvr
Veteran Member

That's an understatement!! LOL. This car is shaping up to be THE nicect 2nd gen in the country. Ultimate car in every way!!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33:39 AM   #57
BonzoHansen
LGM, Admin

Quote:
I found a used MAF for little money and I am planning on installing both of them with only one hooked up. Now I have to figure out the best way to block one side of the snorkel.
I was going to ask about the unmetered air, but I missed the block comment. So you are going to cap the RH side?

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NJ Camaros and Firebirds

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Bricka bracka firecrakcer shish boom bah, bugs bunny, bugs bunny, rah rah rah!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.
BonzoHansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59:49 AM   #58
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
I was going to ask about the unmetered air, but I missed the block comment. So you are going to cap the RH side?

That's the plan. I am going to try to shape a piece of aluminum to follow the curve of the snorkel and place it at the bend rather than just cap it at the end. If I don't do that, I an concerned that the air will not flow freely into the throttle body.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57:35 PM   #59
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Had a good day today!! I had a Billet Specialties front runner kit on my old motor. When I looked at their front runner kit for the LS motor, I noticed that the compressor and the power steering pump were in basically the same locations as on my small block. With any luck, my existing lines would work.

They did!! Based on a discussion with Billet Specialties, I was pretty sure my AC lines would fit. The PS lines were more of a question mark. The reality was that they fit perfectly. Major victory here. The remote reservoir and the lines fit exactly as they did on the old motor.

One of the key features I really like on the Billet Specialties front runner is the AC manifold that places the hookup for the lines near the bottom of the compressor. Because of this, you do not have the lines conspicuously placed on the top of the motor. This allowed me to run my AC and heater hose lines above the inner fender liner under the fender to keep the engine bay clear. The lines fit as I guessed they would.

Because the heater hose hookup location is quite a bit different, I had to cut off about 6" of each line to make them work. Even cleaner installation here than on the old motor where the hookups were on top of the water pump.

I also re-installed the radiator overflow tank and line.

Some research showed that to make my existing fuel lines work, I would need to change the fuel rail. One is on the way.

I got a lot done today.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32:47 PM   #60
BonzoHansen
LGM, Admin

what did you do with the old Billet Specialties front runner kit?

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NJ Camaros and Firebirds

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Bricka bracka firecrakcer shish boom bah, bugs bunny, bugs bunny, rah rah rah!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.
BonzoHansen is online now   Reply With Quote