NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 06-10-2011, 11:15:59 AM   #31
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Location: Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of California
Car looks sweet and great pics of the install!

More than a little jealous of the shop!
*This post is a general statement about no one in particular and therefore should not offend anyone. If this statement offends you it's because you have: low self esteem, a guilty conscious or are otherwise overly offendable (if that's a word).
Marks71BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22:43 PM   #32
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71BB
Car looks sweet and great pics of the install!

More than a little jealous of the shop!

Thanks. When we bought the house about three years ago, it had a two car attached garage. My then neighbor, a contractor who had built both my house and his house, built this two car garage at the end of the driveway and attached it to the house. The plan was to make it look like it had been there from the beginning and he did a good job. I knew I wanted a two post lift, so we built it with 12' 4" ceilings. To meet code, we had to use 2 x 6 studs because of the ceiling height. We used rafters designed to give me a 9' x 30' clear space in the attic.

I am retired so this is my hangout. I would go crazy if I didn't have something to do all the time. I bought the cabinets you see in the photos for $300 off of Craigslist. And that included the countertop!! My buddy lives up the street and has a '38 Chevy street rod. He also has a lift and every tool known to mankind!! Between the two of us, we can and do tackle just about anything.

The motor will go in tomorrow!!! I got the pivot ball adjusted and prepared the engine bay with lots of padding. Hopefully, everything fits tomorrow. My buddy and I decided to keep the car on the dollies. Since the hoist cannot be moved, this will make it easier to move the car to line up the engine mounts.

Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-10-2011, 10:45:03 PM   #33
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a patient prepped for open hear surgery

Good luck on the install, I hope is goes off without a hitch.
*This post is a general statement about no one in particular and therefore should not offend anyone. If this statement offends you it's because you have: low self esteem, a guilty conscious or are otherwise overly offendable (if that's a word).
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52:24 PM   #34
71RS350
Gold Member

really love this thread....taking notes...mite need an LS swap in mine!

My Garage:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellam...22910454430687
Camaro Build Thread:http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191578
71RS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13:32 AM   #35
ctchap70
Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome stuff! Keep it coming! CC

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197307
ctchap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:39:21 PM   #36
Air_Adam
Veteran Member

Very nice Porsche.... I've always loved the Boxsters!!!

Is it the 'S' model or a standard Boxster?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:13:48 PM   #37
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Adam
Very nice Porsche.... I've always loved the Boxsters!!!

Is it the 'S' model or a standard Boxster?
It was a 2005 non "S" model. I sold it a few months ago on Ebay and bought a 2001 996. Boxster's are great fun but I still prefer 911 coupes. I have been in the Porsche club since 1978 and have had a number of them over the years. My wife and I used to do both autocross and track events.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:20:33 PM   #38
jerhofer
Veteran Member

The motor is in!!!!

The motor is in but it took about four hours of finagling to get it to line up with the engine mounts. For awhile, we thought that there was an alignment issue. However, time and patience eventually got everything to line up. We did have to take the driver's side mount off the motor and spread it apart a bit as it was too narrow to fit over the mount. We got a piece of threaded 1/2" rod and, using placing bolts in the middle as well as on the outside, we were able to spread it about 1/4" which was enough.

After getting it mounted on the mounts, if you let the motor hang, it wanted to rest against the brake line on the rear of the front crossmember. So I tied the front of the motor down to the front swaybar to keep it up until we install the tranny.

As you can see in some of the photos, I do have some adjustment on the mounting plates and can move the motor an inch or so to the rear. It cannot go any further forward of the oil pan will hit the crossmember.

Big job done!! Should get the tranny installed next week and then it is a matter of hooking everything up.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12:49 PM   #39
jerhofer
Veteran Member

After Sunday off and a funeral yesterday, I was back at it today. The transmission is in!!! My buddy has a very nice transmission jack that I have used nearly as many times as he has. Nevertheless, it was the usual fight getting it to mate with the motor. All's well that ends well.

After getting it bolted up, the bolt on the rear crossmember was a little over an inch forward of the bolt hole. The adjustable motor mounts helped out here. I wasn't quite able to get all of it, but I did get within less than 1/2".

When I installed the driveshaft, I still had plenty of spline left so it should work fine. After putting the car down, I hooked up the shifter and that part was done.

While the car was apart, I had the radiator cleaned and tested for leaks. I cleaned up my fan and installed both the radiator and fan.

Because of needing to use a bolt hole on the front of the head to lift the motor, I had not been able to install the alternator. Got it installed and then installed the belt and tensioner.

Now that I had all of that in place, I could work on the air intake. Problems here!! I tried a connector from the throttle body to the MAF in a straight line. Now I did not have enough room for the twin snorkel. It was nearing the end of the day, but I did try installing the snorkel directly to the throttle body with the MAF at one end of the snorkel. Once I add the filter to both ends, I will have an unbalanced look. I plan on working on this tomorrow to see if I can come up with a solution that both looks good and will work. Any suggestions?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:59:26 PM   #40
Marks71BB
Lifetime Gold Member

I dont think that is going to work with the MAF only 'seeing' half the air .
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27:48 PM   #41
usmcz28
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71BB
I dont think that is going to work with the MAF only 'seeing' half the air .

I second that being an issue
usmcz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45:27 PM   #42
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcz28
I second that being an issue

I had not had a chance to look into that but I have the same reservations. I may have to look into some other type of induction.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54:07 PM   #43
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Had a thought. I wonder if I would get enough air from one of the intakes to feed the engine? If so, I could hook up the other intake for looks but block off that side. I could even really confuse people if I bought a defective MAF and installed it on that side for symmetrical reasons.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15:35 PM   #44
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Just found this. May have to make a call tomorrow.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.0.0.0?pp=35&

PRI 2010 – Spectre ProFab MAFS Conversion Kits

LS engines are finding their way into all sorts of different places – street rods, sand rails, even Fieros and Porsche 996′s. Though the creativity of swappers is endless, the less fabrication required, the better. Spectre has just introduced a couple new part numbers that will be real problem-solvers for LS swaps where space in front of the engine for intake plumbing is at a premium.

Their new ProFab MAF sensor kits replace the boot-style MAF common to the LS series with a blade-type sensor, saving 2-3 inches of room ahead of the throttle body. But the space-saving factor isn’t the only benefit; Spectre says that when placed in a 4-inch diameter tube, these kits will flow up to 25% more air than stock boot-style MAFS. Spectre also claims that the blade style design is more robust and less prone to flow sensitivities than the boot type. The kits are available in 3- and 5-wire flavors, and include a rectangular bung that can be welded in just about anywhere on the intake tube ahead of the throttle body.

Last edited by jerhofer : 06-14-2011 at 10:23:41 PM.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18:20 PM   #45
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Here's another thing Spectre is working on. Not sure I like this.