NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > High Tech Retrofits
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2011, 12:54:31 AM   #16
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Got the car back today from the body shop. He smoothed out my firewall with four separate, removable panels. There are two main panels on the firewall, a large one that goes to the wiper motor area and a smaller one behind the brake booster. There is also a cover for the wiper motor and a cover for the heater and AC hookups at the firewall. He also cleaned up the crossmember and the frame rails. The trick is going to be getting the motor installed without scratching anything!!! I have a number of moving blankets and am going to cut one of them up to make covers for the firewall and inner fender liners.

Next up is cleaning up the bottom of the car from the firewall back. I lined my walls and floor with plastic and plan on using engine degreaser and my pressure washer to clean it up. A dirty job!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:25:11 PM   #17
jerhofer
Veteran Member

I am glad this job is done!! Very messy cleaning up the bottom of the car. I spent Friday using engine degreaser and my pressure washer to get the bottom of the car at least respectable. As most of you know, when you do this type of cleaning, you are really only transferring the dirt. Part of it went onto the plastic and the rest went on me!! I don't have a mirror in my garage. If I had, I would not have gone out to get the mail as my face was pretty black. It took me nearly as long to clean up the mess as it did to clean the car.

Today I masked everything off and used three rattle cans to at least make it all the same color. While it won't pass a white glove inspection, it sure looks better than when I began this project.

Now I can concentrate on getting the motor ready for installation. Should happen this week.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53:12 PM   #18
jerhofer
Veteran Member

I got a lot done on the motor today. First I installed the rear coolant line plugs and the front LS6 coolant line so I could mount the intake. Got the intake mounted and then decided I did not like the army green color of the fuel rails. Painted them satin black.

Next I mounted the Dirty Dingo slider motor mounts. First a plate is attached to the motor, then the factory elephant ear collar is attached to the other plate. The second plate is then loosely attached to the plate on the motor. There are slots and you can slide the motor back and forth 2 1/2".

I am getting close to putting the motor in. I need to align the bellhousing and can't decide whether it would be best to do it out of the car or in the car. Not sure how I can stabilize the engine and turn the crank outside the car.

Last edited by jerhofer : 06-06-2011 at 07:46:41 PM.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33:32 PM   #19
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Had to mow the lawn today but still had some time to work on the motor. I removed the plate above the oil filter, drilled the hole through, tapped it for 1/8 NPT 27, and mounted my oil pressure sender for my gauges there.

After doing a search for places to put the water temp sender for my gauges, some people recommended removing the drain plug above the starter and mounting it there. After removing the plug, I found an adapter to go to 1/8 NPT 27 thread. I talked to Autometer and they have a 1/8NPT sender that will work with my gauges. It is on the way from Summit and appears to be compact enough to clear the starter.

Last edited by jerhofer : 06-07-2011 at 07:41:50 PM.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59:14 PM   #20
76z28
Veteran Member

Thinking of starting an LS swap soon myself. Good thread to read!
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 06-08-2011, 07:46:40 PM   #21
jerhofer
Veteran Member

The Edelbrock polished coil covers arrived late yesterday. The coil packs install directly to the rear of the covers which allows them to sit lower. I am not wild about the Edelbrock script, but, overall, it was the look I was going for. I had to cut the support for the fuel line so I can bend it up to clear the coil covers.

My water temp sender with 1/8 NPT threads arrived today and if fit perfectly with plenty of clearance with the starter.

I also installed the correct pilot bearing for my transmission. I also mounted the flywheel and the bellhousing and used my son's gauge to begin the alignment procedure. I did not finish this as time ran out but will sort this out tomorrow. Once I have the bellhousing aligned, I am ready to put the motor in the car.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54:18 PM   #22
ProStreet78z28
BANNED

Youre doing a great job! I like the valve covers. Neat how you gave it a GEN I look!
ProStreet78z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:55:03 PM   #23
BusDriver
Veteran Member

I agree those covers are sweet!

They keep the coils easily accessable and in the (more or less) stock location but hide them wonderfully with an old school kind of look.

Sold. I'll have to get a set when the time comes

Good job, keep the updates coming.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:04:40 PM   #24
PolarBear
I love hood, I love lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDriver
They keep the coils easily accessable and in the (more or less) stock location but hide them wonderfully with an old school kind of look.
Have you checked out the Holley covers? Make the engine look like a BBC. I had to do a double take when I saw them in the Holley truck at SEMA last year. I need to get that picture up for people to see, nice and clean with no logo or anything on them....

I love hood

The artist formerly known as notchbackgta
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:31:34 PM   #25
BusDriver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear
Have you checked out the Holley covers? Make the engine look like a BBC. I had to do a double take when I saw them in the Holley truck at SEMA last year. I need to get that picture up for people to see, nice and clean with no logo or anything on them....

Hadn't before, but just did. Pretty nice, though I think I like the Eddy's better. The black version would go with my planned scheme real nice and unlike the OP I really like the script.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22:29 PM   #26
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear

I looked at the Holley. Since my engine bay is all black, I wanted some shiny stuff to contrast. That's why I have the Edelbrock's. I may have a set from Taylor Industries to try as well but they will have to go a ways to beat the Edelbrocks.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55:30 PM   #27
68400BIRD
Veteran Member

Very nice looking. I love the Billet pulley setup. I have to agree with the earlier comment "Best looking Big Bumper ever".

Marks71BB Great job!! she should be nice and stiff now!
Marks71BB Comes inna five gallon pail for the really big pull jobs

Upstanding member of E.V.A.L
(Enemies of Vacuum Advancement League)
68400BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45:52 PM   #28
jerhofer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68400BIRD
Very nice looking. I love the Billet pulley setup. I have to agree with the earlier comment "Best looking Big Bumper ever".

Thanks.

Had to satisfy motorcycle withdrawal with a ride today with my best friend. Because of the heat, we left early this morning and were back home by noon. One of our neighbors is a partner in a high end dealership in Denver, NC so we checked out his business today.

After lunch, I finished up the alignment of the bellhousing. Based on the readings, I had to use a "14 adjustable dowel. I set it in place with my best guess of where it should be to get the bellhousing within spec and it worked. I was within 4 thousandths vertically and less than 2 thousandths horizontally.

After removing the bellhousing, I installed the clutch. The LS1 flywheels have two dowel pins that must be lined up on the pressure plate for balance purposes.

I installed the clutch pivot ball in the bellhousing and have to adjust the height. Based on my late in the day measurements, I think I need a taller ball.

I also turned the car around in the garage to get the nose facing my ceiling hoist. My driveway is uphill outside the garage so turning it around there is not an option. I bought these dollies from Northern Tool some years ago and they have come in handy. I was able to easily turn the car around by myself. Once I get the pivot ball adjusted correctly, I am ready to put the motor in the car.

Getting close.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30:50 PM   #29
TX78Z28
Veteran Member

nice work and one sweet ride!
TX78Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:31:52 AM   #30
ctchap70
Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome car man! Will be watchin this install! Thanks for the pictures an details. CC

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197307
ctchap70 is offline   Reply With Quote