NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back > General & Off-Topic Topics > The BS Topic
User Name

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20:21 PM   #1
Redline Rappe
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 151
Vintage Iowa License Plate

In Iowa you can display the plates from the year of your car, if your car is over 25 years old.

1. I had the registration changed from a regular car to antique (free)

2. You must have the standard plates inside the car. If you car pulled over you can show your standard plates.

I also have the laws printed out and I keep them in my car.

I also plan to just use the front plate and keep the standard on the rear.

Iowa never had new plates in '73 & '74. You just used '72 with a sticker.
Redline Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 01-18-2011, 11:04:20 PM   #2
Gary S
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Posts: 19,552
It sounds to me like Iowa has a mess with their vintage plates. That seems very confusing both for the car owner, and also for law enforcement.
In North Dakota, we can use plates for year of manufacture once the car reaches 40 years of age. Here we take the "year of manufacture" plates to DMV, and they give us a registration card with the number of the "year of manufacture" plates on it. It becomes the permanent registration for that car. No new plates are ever again registered to it, and the year of manufacture registration never needs to be renewed.
Law enforcement can easily check the old plates on the car against the registration card, and also against the DMV computer records just like any new plate.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18:07 PM   #3
Redline Rappe
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 151
You are right it is confusing. Why not just register the vintage plates?
Redline Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 569
Well I know Kansas is much easier on this type of stuff, I know that there are very few requirements.
- Car must be at least 35 years old
- Must have plate matching year of car

I think that is all, and you are not registered regular plates too. You have the option of getting "antique plates" which are new plates that just say antique on them. Here is mine, the neon orange stands out

- Sorry, no good shot of the plate right now
BBFL- Big Bumpers for Life!!

1974 Camaro -383 Stroker - 4 Speed - Black on Black -
Progress link! -
74_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:14:59 AM   #5
The Champ
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 2,894
In MN, I have '49 plates on the Limo, '64 plates on the Goat and '72 plates on the Camaro.

They are the official plate for each car - just like Gary explained for ND.
'72 Camaro Sport Coupe - Purchased in Sep 2000, completed April 2002.

'64 GTO Convertible - The Original Muscle Car. Purchased in June 1992, completed in June 1995.

'49 Cadillac Limo - my Dad bought this car when I was 4 - in 1958.

'50 Pontiac - my Dad sold this car to my brother in 1968. It followed my home in Sep 2011.

'81 Chevy C10 - purchased in May 2011
The Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41:52 AM   #6
Bishops Z28
Veteran Member
Bishops Z28's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great Falls, Va
Posts: 104
In Va, you can register the vintage plates for the vehicle. You don't have to have any other tag registered for it. There are restrictions on driving it everyday though. Parades, shows, check mechanical condition and a couple other things. A couple years ago, they started making you fill out paperwork stating that you had a daily driver with regualr tags on it so you weren't driving on the vintage tags every day. With the tags, you do not need to get the yearly safety inspection which I was seeing alot of old clunkers with the tags on them that shouldn't have been on the road because of mechanical issues. While I was overseas for 3 years, I collected vintage tags for all 50 states. Or was that 51 states according to the prez.
1970 Camaro Sport Coupe
1971 Cheyenne Super K10 "Father / Son Project"
1997 GMC Sierra K1500 "Daily Driver"
Bishops Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35:04 AM   #7
Lifetime Gold Member
SupplySgt's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finally back home!!!
Posts: 1,357
Tennessee you can use vintage plates but it's like Iowa where you get a standard "antique plate" for it. At the time in TN though they only made plates every 4 years. So for a 79 for example you would need a 77 plate. Really weird.
'73 Z28 350/TKO 600. Dream car that fell into my lap!
'78 base model Vortec 350/TH350. Future RS clone.

They tend to call me Sarge

Originally Posted by Marks71BB
I be coon killahh
Originally Posted by K5JMP
that's the money we could be saving IF we had nationwide carry permits....

SupplySgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20:05 PM   #8
Gary S
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Posts: 19,552
The permanent plates on my 70SS.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,643
Funny to read this. I just found the 1965 Iowa plate that was in the dash of my 65 Catalina that I bought many years ago.
When the plan does not work out, change the plan but never the goal.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Copyright © 1997 - 2015 Inc.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.