NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Electrical Systems > Car Audio, Electronics & Security
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2010, 06:09:06 PM   #1
Chief762x39

Stereo installation

Have any of you installed a USA630 stereo in a 1979 camaro? I'm attempting to install one in mine and having some problems. I'm not sure if I've adjusted the posts correctly as they are sticking out far away from the radio face. My main issue though is that the stereo will not turn on. I have attached all the wires except for one that says it must be attached to a constant power source for the clock and system memory. Could this be the problem? A second wire that only supplies power when the vehicle is running is attached. I'm not sure where to attach the other wire too. My other thought was perhaps I did not attach the ground wire to a good location.
Chief762x39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31:06 PM   #2
B.M.
Veteran Member

If the ground isnt good that would definitely make it not come on.The way i have always done the constant wire is to run it straight from my fuse panel,but you could also get a circuit tester and probe the wires behind the stereo until you find one that has power without the key on and then splice into that.
B.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:35:01 PM   #3
JONESYFXR
Veteran Member

Connect the yellow wire to a constant 12v source. There are extra ports in the fuse box marked "bat". That's where are the power comes from for the radio, hence the larger wire.

As for the shaft sticking out, adjust the nuts on the saft to your desired depth, then lock down the front nuts. That should do it.

Good Luck and Welcome!!!!
1991 Harley Davidson FXR-Built by yours truly
JONESYFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:35:32 PM   #4
Chief762x39

Any suggestions on a good ground location, somewhere hopefully an existing location that this wire is easily attached to. That may be the problem. Is the constant wire necessary for regular stereo operation?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43:15 PM   #5
Bikefixr
Lifetime Gold Member

Chief....Let me suggest that since your knowledge level of 12V isn't deep, that you let someone do this that knows how....If you MUST do it yourself and risk damage to your radio or vehicle...then connect as follows.

Orange wire from radio is your 12V constant hot. In some radios it must be used. It keeps your AM-FM memory active, but it also is often used to energize small internal relays that will not work ifnot connected. The RED switched wire goes to the ACC terminal on your fuse block. The black wire goes to the vehicle ground. As to where to ground, you can crimp on a hook or Y terminal and put that under any screw that goes into metal structure underneath the dash. If your original factory radio wiring is there...it's the black wire. If you want, you can also tap the cigarette lighter. The black wire is ground, the orange wire is 12v constant. Or you can run to the fuse block again and connect to the BAT terminal.

As for the radio depth into the dash...once the shafts are snugged down where you want them to fit the width of the dash plastic....you can set the radio back so the radio face is nice and flush with the rest of the dash and not sticking way out. I used spare shaft nuts and large diameter washers on each shaft. Place the radio into the dash from behind, adjust depth, then more washers and shaft nuts to pinch it down snug. Make sure to support the BACK of the radio as shafts are not designed to support the weight of the radio. If you don;t have spare shaft nuts, you can use some hard plastic tubing cut into spacers to set the radio back where you want it and then a couple nuts and washers to hold it tight. The stereo maker always includes a couple extras in the hardware kits. 1st sign of an amateur install is the radio sticking way past the rest of the dash.
Bikefixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54:49 PM   #6
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

^Perfect answers!

I've connected stereos with both power wires to a BATT connection.
You can run the radio without the key that way.
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:11:13 PM   #7
Chief762x39

Bikefixr is correct (I have limited knowledge of stereo installs or 12V), however, after consideration I decided to go ahead and risk installing the stereo myself. Amazing it seems I did it correctly, though I did end up wiring both power wires to the ignition. The stereo functions properly, just doesn't save settings after it's turned off. I will eventually attempt to locate a constant wire to attach one of the wires to but for now it does work.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15:23 PM   #8
KansasTwister
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief762x39
Bikefixr is correct (I have limited knowledge of stereo installs or 12V), however, after consideration I decided to go ahead and risk installing the stereo myself. Amazing it seems I did it correctly, though I did end up wiring both power wires to the ignition. The stereo functions properly, just doesn't save settings after it's turned off. I will eventually attempt to locate a constant wire to attach one of the wires to but for now it does work.

Go straight to fuse panel. They make an adapter where you can put in on a costant.

And i havent tried this style, but looks interesting.

theflash: Black smoke is generally a sign of running too rich, or you have a diesel.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather.... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

My nametag says Ryan
KansasTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31:17 PM   #9
Chief762x39

My car has the old style glass fuses. Do they make an adapter for those?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37:46 PM   #10
KansasTwister
Lifetime Gold Member

i cant remember what i did on my 77 pickup. Im sure someone sells something similar let me search.

theflash: Black smoke is generally a sign of running too rich, or you have a diesel.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather.... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

My nametag says Ryan
Old 05-20-2010, 07:40:38 PM   #11
KansasTwister
Lifetime Gold Member

My nametag says Ryan
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52:04 PM   #12
brooksman9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasTwister

Those look cool. Need to get one

Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose

Progress threads
Here we go again...73 Z28
Hi, I'm Pat and I'm a ...
http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/c...av_album_album
http://www.cardomain.com/id/brooksman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351maverick
that car makes my balls tingle
brooksman9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00:43 PM   #13
KansasTwister
Lifetime Gold Member

i wanna say mine was just a non shielded male .250 spade...

My nametag says Ryan
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals