NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39:31 PM   #1
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

CRANK BOLT HOLE...Did I screw up? Help Please

Did I screw this up?? I believe I did. It's been a few weeks since I removed my harmonic balancer which was a very easy thing to do with a puller. I was looking at what I thought was supposed to be a threaded hole in the end of the crank. No threaded hole. What the heck did I do? Did I break part of the puller off in the end of the crank. I mean what is in that hole? Tell me I didn't, but I think I somehow twisted the end of that puller off in the hole. I was hurrying and don't remember exactly if I threaded the tool in or what. I wasn't really expecting this sort of problem. If I twisted it off then it is a super clean cut because it looks like whatever is in there belongs in there. Any suggestion on fixing this would be greatly appreciated, as you must expect I am in some sort of distress here. Thanks
Steve's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:40:46 PM   #2
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

An additional angle of the Crank End

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44:55 PM   #3
badazz81z28
BANNED

You shouldnt have threaded anything in the crank snout for removal of the balancer. There should have been a tip that pushes against the hole. Unfortuantly I cant see the picture. I have fear that you broke something off in there
badazz81z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54:20 PM   #4
Camaroz
Veteran Member

It almost looks like you pulled the harmonic balancer in half, did the keyway come out too? (the notch that the key would fit into?)

If you broke a bolt in there, it shouldnt be too much trouble to remove it, but be careful so as not to mess up the threads in the crank. I would try an easy out first, and drill several small holes into the end of that broken bolt stepping it up each time until you get a good size that your easy out is for. You would need to be as centered on that as possible and go until you have about half of much bolt as hole. Assuming you did not tighten it down too much the easy out should make it.

Just a thought.
Good luck
steve

'76 Lt
355 sb, 350 auto
3.08 posi
allways in work.
Relivin' my teenage years waiting for kids to get old enough to drive.
Dang, now they are old enough and wont leave my Camaro alone!
Camaroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:01:29 PM   #5
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

Thanks for the thought Camaroz. Not too sure what you mean about pulling the balancer in half. The balancer is off in once piece. Keys stayed in crank. I need to verify if this is proper. I mean I feel dumb but it looks like what ever is in there belongs there and I feel even dumber not knowing what was attached to the end of my puller bolt and whether I threaded it in or not. I was hurrying with my headed buried in a dark place. This is supposed to be an open hole right? I mean, how else would you put the bolt in that goes in the center of harmonic balancer.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11:57 PM   #6
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

MAN I LOVE THIS SITE...., With a little moral support from you guys and a little knowledge I FIXED IT... Sorry for my ignorance. The puller had sort of a makeshift end on it. It's been a long while since I used it. I hurry sometimes and don't pay attention. What I stupidly did was apparently I threaded the makeshift end of the puller in the end of the crank. The balancer came off fine, but when I went back to look at the crank a few weeks later it looked very foriegn to me and I just couldn't remember if that's what it looked like as the end of the puller as you can see from the pics was deep within the end of the crank looking like it belonged there and was part of it. It wasn't of course. I tried some vice grips on the end of it before I called up help on this site and there just wasn't enought to grab onto. After posting here I put some Mapp gas on the end of the crank...heated it up pretty good and tried some needlenose vice grips. It came out. Whew.... It's amazing how the backyard mechanic learns isn't it?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17:26 PM   #7
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

What should be there is a threaded hole for a 7/16" fine thread bolt. It appears that the bolt that was in there is sheared off. What did you use to pull the harmonic balancer off? The tool that you should have used looks similar to a steering wheel puller only larger. Summit shows this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66514/

ASSUMING that the harmonic balancer retaining bolt is now broken off in the crank, you need to get that broken bolt out as the harmonic balancer should be held onto the crank with a bolt.

The problem is how to remove it without destroying the crank. I would first lubricate the threads by heating the part of the bolt that is sticking out with a propane torch, remove the torch, then apply wax (from any parifin based candle). The was will lubricate the threads and the broken bolt MIGHT back out with a pair of Vicegrip pliers. BUT if it won't, then you need to step it up a notch with heating the bolt till it glows red, let the heat soak into the crank, and try to remove the broken bolt with a stud removal tool like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66796/ . I hesitate to tell you to center drill the broken bolt so that you could use a screw extractor to remove it as you would HAVE TO drill the broken bolt EXACTLY in the middle ALL THE WAY THROUGH without hitting the treads in the crank which would ruin it.

I wish you luck as it is going to be touch and go getting that broken bolt out.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:18:44 PM   #8
1BAD78
Gold Member

I Think I Know What Happened.there Is Two Pieces That Come With Those Balancer Pullers One Piece Has A Point And Another Piece Has A Flat End That Goes On The End Piece That You Crank On To Get The Balancer Off.i Used The Pointed Piece Once And It Messed Up The Threads In My Crank.mabe You Used The Same Pointed Piece And It Got Stuck In There.
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE BOLT IS BROKE OFF IN THERE
I Dont Know If I Made A Damn Bit Of Sense But Hopefully You Understand What Im Tring To Say.
1BAD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24:27 PM   #9
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

Your knowledge and precise method of attacking this problem is a credit to you. I do appreciate it. I was able to get it out almost exactly the way you suggest. I am fortunate that there was just barely enought room to get the needle nose vice grips in there. To explain how I got myself into this mess.....the tool is a universal cheapo steering wheel puller. It was misused once. It had a hastily manufactured end on the pulling bolt to repair the damaged caused by the misuse. That is the part that was left threaded into the hole in the crank where the bolt should thread. It came out and I am greatful for all the help. PHEW>>>>>>>
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-28-2010, 03:27:22 PM   #10
Steve's 77
Veteran Member

1bad78 That makes all the sense in the world to you and me anyway. LOL...that is what happened man...almost to the T.. Thanks you guys
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44:05 PM   #11
1BAD78
Gold Member

It Took Me About 15min To Figure Out How I Was Going To Write That Without Sounding Like And Idiot.im Glad Everything Worked Out.
1BAD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:49:13 AM   #12
ronald66
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD78
It Took Me About 15min To Figure Out How I Was Going To Write That Without Sounding Like And Idiot.im Glad Everything Worked Out.
damn , i thought that happened only to me LOL
ronald66 is offline   Reply With Quote