NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > General & Off-Topic Topics > The BS Topic
User Name
Password

Old 03-29-2010, 11:50:17 PM   #1
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Hi-Point 34510 45ACP any good

I'm posting this here in the BS section but won't complain if it's moved to the SP section.

Anyway, I got my CCW and would like to get a pistol that is smaller than my Para P14 BUT keep the .45ACP caliber. Understand that I CANNOT fincially afford a $1000 handgun anymore.

I found a Hi-Point 34510 45ACP at Bud's Guns ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/48342 ) that fits the cirteria that I mentioned above: .45 ACP and affordable. All of the reviews about it say it is reliable and accurate. I do know that the Hi-Point weapons run HEAVY (I held an empty 9 mm version which felt much heavier than my Para P14 loaded!).

Anyway, does anyone have one of the 34510 Hi-Point pistols and what is your opinion of them? My main concern (as with any persoanl protection device) is it's reliabilty and safety. I am also concerned that it may be too large to easily carry concealed too (especially if it's only marginly smaller than the Para P14 which is a full frame wide body 1911 style pistol which ain't small by any means!).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09:40 AM   #2
theflash
Lifetime Gold Member

I've heard of a lot of dislike for the high points, I have no personal experience with them myself, and I don't know of anyone who owns one. I wouldn't buy one though.

I don't know where the prices run, but Para makes a compact 45 acp. Springfield Armory makes a full size 1911 in the $500-$600 range. I absolutely love my Kimber Ultra CDP, but you're looking to spend a G note on one. I'd even look to a S&W before I considered a High point.
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f'ing car.

I am the proud parent of a child whose self-esteem is sufficient that she doesn’t need me advertising her minor scholastic achievements on the bumper of my car
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27:45 AM   #3
Jim Mac
Veteran Member

doesnt pdq67 have a hipoint? im sure he'll chime in. I think he's very happy with his.
Jim Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06:34 PM   #4
POS71RS
L. G. M. / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac
doesnt pdq67 have a hipoint? im sure he'll chime in. I think he's very happy with his.

I 'doubt' he'll be chiming in...
POS71RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 03-30-2010, 01:32:52 PM   #5
theflash
Lifetime Gold Member

Here's another nice looking gun in 45

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...01&mid=FNM0061
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f'ing car.

I am the proud parent of a child whose self-esteem is sufficient that she doesn’t need me advertising her minor scholastic achievements on the bumper of my car
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58:39 PM   #6
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

IF I had the money, I would buy another Para Ordenance in 45ACP in a compact model. The VERY most that I can spend is $300 total (gun + sales tax + registration fee = $300). Sales tax is 8.5% and registration fee is $50 so that leaves me with about $230 AT THE MOST to spend on a "new" firearm.

TRUST me, buying a weapon shouldn't be about price. It should be about accuracy, reliability, fit, availablity of parts (things wear out, break, problems arise, etc. even on "good" guns), and warranty.

BTW, did you read the reviews that were posted on Bud's Guns in regards to the Hi-Point in 45ACP? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/48342 I saw one person that complained about it having 4 stovepipes in 100 rounds. MY experience with firearms that stovepipe is that it is caused by operator error: not gripping the weapon tightly, poor alignment of the firearm to the operator's hand to arm to shoulder or all of the above.

The FNP looks like a good weapon and comes with three magazines too. BUT it costs $500 to $600 which again is out of my budget range.

I can't win for losing.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39:25 PM   #7
theflash
Lifetime Gold Member

I would just wait then till you have more money. Or you can do what I used to do too often, break out the credit card.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:44:45 PM   #8
PaRoadDawg
Lifetime Gold Member

In my opinion Hi-Point=crap.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58:25 PM   #9
Warchild145
Veteran Member

I got a buddy with a hi point .45 and states it tends to jam a lot. Not sure if its just his specific fire arm, the model or hi points in general. I have never shot it personally though.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:15:18 PM   #10
firechicken81
Veteran Member

I have two hi-point guns, the 9mm and the 40, and my sister has the .45. My experience has been great. No jamming on any of them, but ive heard they need to be clean or else thats when the jamming happens. All of mine have a lifetime warranty and the salesman that sold me mine had only seen one come back and that was due to impropper care. They are heavy and a little bulky but they shoot great and I havent had a problem with mine in the 6 years ive owned them.
firechicken81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:58:31 PM   #11
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Firechicken81: ANY firearm that is not properly maintained will fail, and fail at the most inoprotune time. I think you've affirmed what I have heard about the Hi-Point pistols: heavy, reliable (if kept clean and lubricated). ALL firearms have ammo that they like and/or dislike. My Ruger MKII pistols WILL NOT run Remmington Tunderbolts (or ANY unjacketed ammo) through it. I LOVES CCI or Winchester though and NEVER fails to cycle with that ammo. My Para P14 dislikes low power loads (I think for many reasons: weight of the slide requires power to move it, the recoil isn't enough to complete the cycle or to eactract a spent round to eject it). However, when I put commercial ammo or my (tested) reloads through it, it will fire all day long without one stopage.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:59:52 PM   #12
CorkyE
Lifetime Gold Member

Nephew has one of their 9mm and I've seen it jam 2 of the 4 times I've been with him. I know he cleans it more than I do my CZ-75 and I've never had a jam. IMHO, don't take the chance.

79 Z28 bought new, honeymoon ride same year, still have same wife, same car.
CorkyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55:49 PM   #13
snyguy
Lifetime Gold Member

I've got one, but I wouldn't carry it. It is big and bulky. Other than that, it's been a great gun. Accurate, no problems with failure to fire or stove-piping. This is a blow-back gun, so you can't limp wrist it. They all have a lifetime warranty, which you don't see too often.
snyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57:55 PM   #14
fabio
Veteran Member

I heard about them and looking at the price I thought it would be made in china. Nice to know american made with a warranty. As stated just have to figure out what ammo the gun likes and keep it clean.
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20:49 AM   #15
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Had to do some grocery shopping this afternoon so afterwards I stopped in to Gander Mountian to look at a EAA .357 magnum they had on sale. None in stock.

So I take a look at what else they had. Taurus 1911 clone for $800. Glocks (out of my price range too). Ruger P seris in 9 mm and 45ACP for $500. FNP in 45ACP for $700.

Then I saw the S&W M&P 45C (compact model in 45ACP) for $550. Handled all of the above and they were OK but that 45C is SWEET. Now all I have to do is sell 400 Adjust-A-Covers to cover the cost of buying one. The salesman thought he could find me a used one for around $350 too BUT their computer has been down for a WEEK and MIGHT be back up tomorrow. Going to call them during the day to see if he found a 45C and get in the EAA .357 magnum revolver too.

PS: Even my Para will fail to cycle if you weak wrist it. Good friend of mine tried to shoot my Para without "holding on to it" and getting himself behind the Para. It failed to cycle a couple of times for him till I showed him the error of his ways. Once he got the drift of what I was teaching him, it ran like a sewing machine stictching holes in the target as fast as you could pull the trigger!

Last edited by Cardinal : 03-31-2010 at 01:23:02 AM.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote