NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Transmission & Driveline Topics
User Name
Password

Old 10-19-2003, 09:22:00 PM   #1
SoCalCamaro
Veteran Member

TYPE F in place of dextron 3?

Ok this may be a dumb question but a mechanic(old school streetracer ) once told me i could use type f in place of dextron 3 to firm the shifts a little as it doesnt have the "slippery additve" for smooth clutch engagment, he said thats what B&M trick shift fluid was when it first came out. now I have to admit once upon a time i did this in my blazer a while ago when the tranny was a really really tired. and it did help, actually made it feel like i had put in a stage 1 sift kit almost. although a few months later the governer cap poped off and lost all my fluid while on the freeway basicly destroying my 700r4. but Im asking now because my th350 is acting tried and need to prolong its performance for a little longer since I have no money to work on it so im wondering if this is safe.
SoCalCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:18:00 PM   #2
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't recommend it.
Type if is harsher on the frictions, so if they are questionable it could cause them to get worse.

If it feels "slippy" I would leave it alone, even new Dexron, the detergents would be harsher on the frictions.

If it is a seal problem causing it to feel slippy, you COULD put some solvent like Trans-X in to swell the lip seals a little, but this is a temporary solution at best..

I think I would leave it alone and try to find a good deal on a TH350...
Or buy a kit and rebuild it....

But that's me
jakeshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:21:00 PM   #3
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

Actually,
On second thought...

The best thing I cna think of would be to replace the filter and refill with tractor hydraulic fluid, it is available anywhere and just let it mix with the ATF that is already in there.
Look for Tractor fluid used in tractors with automatics..
It is a little heavier weight than Dexron so may seal the seals better.
Very clear so you need some ATF mixed with it to identify it on the dipstick and if you have any leaks..

Old 10-20-2003, 12:13:00 AM   #4
secondgenerationjason2
Veteran Member

I have used and still use type f .actually,in a B/M shift kit install instructions,they tell you to use type f instead.From what I have gathered,type f has more anti-foaming agents in it.

I have had not one problem using it.
400 stock bottom end,contraversial heads,300-36 Holley intake 284 cam,true roller chain780 Holley Vac. seconds,Mallory ignition,1 3/4 headers,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,3.73 posi rear,Super T-10 trans w/hurst super shifter 3,needs painted.13.7 spinning down the track and going thru the traps at 105 mph on street tires.
secondgenerationjason2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:39:00 AM   #5
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

And you will not have any problems running it in the short term...

And I wouldn't trust anything the B&M instructions say....

Their parts break trannys and their techniques are outdated.

Type F has fewer friciton modifiers, and will cause a varnish residue over time.
Ever wonder why NONE of the OEM's run it anymore?

I would stay with Dexron or use tractor hydraulic fluid.

Tractor fluid has a higher evap temp. It is more stable under extreme conditions than other fluids.

Dexron has all the proper additives.
You don't calibrate a trans with fluid type.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:08:00 AM   #6
nasty355
Veteran Member

ok first off.everyone so far was correct.2ndgenjason b+m shift kits and tci shift kits do recomend type f.there is a draw back trans wont last long(street driven)and if you have a already well worn trans it will kill it.jake pretty much nailed it on the quality there and also with the tractor fluid.it much higher temp and will "extend the life"but not correct anything wrong.if somethigns wrong it will go and usually at the worst moment(ask me how i know this)what i would do is change filter and gasket mix some tractor fluid in and look for either a good th350 or a good core and get it built.oh yeah jake whats the deal with the new mercron 5 fluid.asked or guy at work that delivers our fluids and has no clue.eric

------------------
efi the only way to fly

Currently sitting cause its broke again....
nasty355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:02:00 AM   #7
secondgenerationjason2
Veteran Member

Learn something new everyday.
Glad I checked back.
400 stock bottom end,contraversial heads,300-36 Holley intake 284 cam,true roller chain780 Holley Vac. seconds,Mallory ignition,1 3/4 headers,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,3.73 posi rear,Super T-10 trans w/hurst super shifter 3,needs painted.13.7 spinning down the track and going thru the traps at 105 mph on street tires.
secondgenerationjason2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:40:00 PM   #8
JOHNNYMO
Veteran Member

Uh Oh! I was running type f for a while. There wasnt anything wrong with my tranny but I did the stage 1 B&M kit & followed their reccomendation too. I will be installing a new B&M converter & the tranny is empty now. Should I use the B&M Trick shift or just plain old Dexron?
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-22-2003, 04:04:00 AM   #9
night rider
Veteran Member

I don't know alot of hands of tech when it comes to trannies, but from what I heard the tranny guys say trick shift is a waste of money. Best way to sum up what trick shift is, is its a high priced type F fuild.

Myself I like the tractor fuild. I like the higher break down temp of it.

Vid clip of my 1988 camaro idling and reving.. New engine combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kfmy4IQQI
night rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:58:00 AM   #10
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

Trick shift is just hi-priced F.

My best recommend for MOST people is to just use Dexron.
For severe use, use Tractor Hyd fluid.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:17:00 PM   #11
70RATZ28
Veteran Member

Listen to Jake he knows his trannys. The type F WILL wear the frictions much quicker. Trick shift is a waste of money. Your better off spending the money on a good trans cooler than you are pouring $70 down the filler tube. I have always run Dexron and have had no problems but I may try adding some tractor fluid to it and see if the shifts get a little snappier. I have also found that in my experience STP oil treatment added to the fluid will aid a slipping tranny. Every time I change my fluid and filter I fill the pan w/ STP before putting it back up.

[This message has been edited by 70RATZ28 (edited October 22, 2003).]
454 BBC, Turbo 400, headers, cam, 4:10 12 bolt, etc.
70RATZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:59:00 AM   #12
ddeennis
Veteran Member

jake....how long do you think my tranny will last in my 80 z28? i run that harsh B@M shift kit for street and strip(still got that killer 2nd gear bark at 70+ mph) and running a mix of type F and dex.3 both wal-mart brands.....since i have a ford truck sometimes im out of dex 3 and just poor in type f ...figure its only tranny fluid.........you know i replaced my input shaft and forward clutch.....but the clutches looked good ...like new and this is with about 5000 miles on it so far since it was rebuilt...........

i read all this talk about them not lasting long(using type f and bad shift kits) and they will wear out faster......how many miles of driving are we talking about.........i know the way i drive my car.....almost everyday....if i can get 30,000 miles out of i think im doing good.............even thou i got almost 5000 before the input shaft broke but i hope i wont see that again........and hope it was a fluke.....

like my ford truck it runs type f fluid and that all i put in it.......it took just shy 150,000 miles before the tranny just gave up..slipping real bad getting tough to get that 4600 lbs truck rolling...(4 speed O.D. auto)...i bought the truck with 80,000 original miles and talk to the original owner who basicaly just put gas in the truck and drove it around town did no maintenance at all to it.....

i bought it and drive it like i stoled it, race it...pull 10,000 lbs worth of crap behind me and 7000 lbs worth of car and tools and trailer as well(race day..lol)..it has been the most dependable truck.....better the the new ones ive owned....and i have just tore the crap out of the tranny with down shifting , holding second gear down in low, and taking it 4 wheeling........

just trying to get the feel here where what is considered short lived....

------------------
---------------------
1980 z28 4060 lbs daily driver,414ci bbc,2.41 gears best run to date 14.47@98mph w/2.15 60 ft

1981 camaro "the race car" as the kids say has a 454 60 over 13 to 1 compression roller cam with nitrous injected and everything passing thru a 4500 stall and 4.56 gears...what a wild ride at 126 mph running wild between 10.80's and low 11's.........someday i'll hit the nitrous...lol

1986 ford pick-up "the tow rig" that runs a slow 18.00 flat at 75 mph in 1st and second gear only...lol

1980 z28 with 4.11 with 454 now with a blower

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/ddeennis/
ddeennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:32:00 AM   #13
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

ddeennis,

I wouldn't so much be scared of the Type f as I would the B&M kit...
Type F mixed with Dexron won't hurt anything. The Dexron will provide the fritcion modifiers you need. Worst thing the type F will do in that situation is varnish faster.

SOME have had OK luck with the B&M kits.
I have had decent luck with them in very low HP applications on a very moderate setting.
But what I have learned in the last couple of years I just do not use them and will not install them anymore.

If it is OK now, leave it alone.
It could last a long time or it could break tomorrow. It really just depends on the 1-2 shifdt calibration and whether or not you have a wave plate in the intemediates...
Old 10-30-2003, 02:52:00 PM   #14
JOHNNYMO
Veteran Member

Before this topic dissapears, If I use the Dexron 3 will I loose the snappy shifts?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:36:00 PM   #15
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

It doesn't make big difference. Just a minor difference.
Once again you do NOT calibrate shift quality with fluid type...