NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Transmission & Driveline Topics
User Name
Password

Old 10-27-2003, 08:01:00 PM   #1
ChevyReb
Lifetime Gold Member

What Torque Converter do I have and...???

I bought a turbo 400 and a converter from my uncle and I want to find out more about what I got. He bought it from a high school buddy of his as part of an unfinished drag car 68 Nova project.. and he did not finish it either. Anyway...on to my questions

The converter has an ATI Treemaster sticker on it. It also has some numbers engraved in the middle of it on the side that faces the engine. It has A38 over 0146. It measures about 10.5 inches accross the outside of it. I would like to find out what stall speed it is and anything else about it.

The TH400 was built about 10 years ago but has never been run. It was built to go behind a 468 BBC for a strip only car. Will I need to replace seals and or any other parts before using it? Can I tell anything about it by removing the pan? Like what kind of shift kit it might have or gear ratio, manual valve body and stuff like that. Also is there any thing to look for on it that would tell if it had any extra duty parts like more splines on the shafts or anything?

I do not know much about transmissions so all help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

ChevyReb

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
1971 Camaro under Restoration

"And if I claim to be a wise man; It surely means that I don't know"
ChevyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-27-2003, 08:26:00 PM   #2
70RATZ28
Veteran Member

By pulling the pan you can tell if it has an aftermarket valve body. As far as shift kit I dont think you will be able to tell if it has one just by looking. I cant tell you much about the converter. If it is around a 10.5" I would say its not a terribly high stall. Probably around 2500 stall at the most but that is just a guess. Jakshoe is the tranny master hopefully he can give you more info than I can. I personally would think about replacing seals being that the tranny has sat for 10 years. Oh and all the TH400's have the same gear ratios. You would need to tear it down to see if there are any extra duty hard parts.
454 BBC, Turbo 400, headers, cam, 4:10 12 bolt, etc.
70RATZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:54:00 PM   #3
ddeennis
Veteran Member

the convertor being about a 10 inch would be an easy 3000-3500+ stall.........2500-3000 stall is typical for the 11" convertor and 12" convertors are under 2500...........there are exceptions but this is about the norm for performance convertors.........

1980 z28 with 4.11 with 454 now with a blower

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/ddeennis/
ddeennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:46:00 PM   #4
ChevyReb
Lifetime Gold Member

Wow 3000 - 3500 Stall? That may be more than I will need. Might have to put this thing in the corner for future use. I looked up ATI website today and looks like I have the competition version of the 10" TREEMASTER converter. I called and talked to a tech guy that told me it would probably stall aroung 5500 with a 1200 HP engine. I think they were shooting me a line of bull... but maybe not.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

Hey Jakeshoe you out there man???

I would like to find out more about the internals of the trans and stuff before I take it to someone local here to service it and get it ready to go. I moved here a while back and do not know anyone here that I trust yet. Have not been into cars for a while. I am going to ask around at the local track to get some references. I just don't want to get it back with stuff missing so I need to find out what I have. I know that the guy that had it built would not have spared any money to have it done right for racing.

Thanks to all.

ChevyReb

[This message has been edited by ChevyReb (edited October 28, 2003).]

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
1971 Camaro under Restoration

"And if I claim to be a wise man; It surely means that I don't know"
ChevyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:01:00 PM   #5
70RATZ28
Veteran Member

But is it a 10" convertor? I assumed that it was an 11" when you said 10.5. If it is a 10" it is most likely 3000-3500 like ddeenis said. The competition version would probably stall very high at 1200hp but I doubt you will be even close to that kind of power. The actual stall speed of a convertor is directly related to the power output of the engine. The more power the higher the stall. A 3500 stall convertor doesnt necesarilly stall at 3500rpm.
454 BBC, Turbo 400, headers, cam, 4:10 12 bolt, etc.
70RATZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote